What Turkey Choke do you use?

ApexerER

I was just wondering what everyone uses for a Turkey choke. The Beretta Turkey gun I purchased came with a TruGlo Turkey choke. It obviously worked fine on both birds but I noticed there are chokes specifically for TSS shells which is what I used. Both Carlson and Primos make TSS specific chokes. I looked up the TruGlow choke and the reviews were not the best on it. If I am going to keep using the TSS shells, should I purchase a TSS choke? Am I overthinking this?

Just now, ApexerER said:

Pattern was good at 40 yds with both TSS and longbeard XR's

Playing with different chokes and loads is fun, but expensive. I was able to try a few different ones as buddies of mine had same shotgun.  I either have a Primos jellyhead or a Drury outdoors mad Maxx.  Ones in my 1187, and the other is in my late nephew's 870.  Don't remember which is which.  Bought em in the early '90s. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You killed 2 out of 2 birds ? Sounds like it works just fine. 

It did work just fine but I guess I always am thinking that just because something works doesn't mean there isn't something better.

Your over thinking it, I mean the more money you spend you do get beter quality.. and unless your shooting the heck out of that gun and choke combo.. your cheap chokes will hold up to TSS just fine. I have Indian creek and Sumtoy chokes all the way down to cheap undertakers and Primos Tightwad chokes that were 20$.. I personally think if your going to stick with TSS you should find a tighter ported choke. Unless your shooting federals, they dont like the ported chokes.. 

Each of my turkey guns is setup different for different reasons  All my choked guns shoot Tungsten and the rest I use standard lead loads 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Your over thinking it, I mean the more money you spend you do get beter quality.. and unless your shooting the heck out of that gun and choke combo.. your cheap chokes will hold up to TSS just fine. I have Indian creek and Sumtoy chokes all the way down to cheap undertakers and Primos Tightwad chokes that were 20$.. I personally think if your going to stick with TSS you should find a tighter ported choke. Unless your shooting federals, they dont like the ported chokes.. 

Each of my turkey guns is setup different for different reasons  All my choked guns shoot Tungsten and the rest I use standard lead loads 

I am shooting the Federal TSS. This is the choke I was wondering if I should try.....

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/carlsons-tss-turkey-choke-tube

21 hours ago, mowin said:

Playing with different chokes and loads is fun, but expensive. I was able to try a few different ones as buddies of mine had same shotgun.  I either have a Primos jellyhead or a Drury outdoors mad Maxx.  Ones in my 1187, and the other is in my late nephew's 870.  Don't remember which is which.  Bought em in the early '90s. 

Thats the least fun thing I can think of lol

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:21 AM, ApexerER said:

I am shooting the Federal TSS. This is the choke I was wondering if I should try.....

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/carlsons-tss-turkey-choke-tube

I would say it will work, .640 seems extremely tight. but i heard Federal tss likes really tight chokes. And all guns are different so I can really only say buy it and try it. 

If you want better more real life info, I would go on to forums like gobbler nation or something and look for patterns  if you need more help.. but buy it and try it is my final .02$

• Like 1

FWIW...  Carlson's (and this is not an knock on them, I have many hundreds of dollars worth of their chokes and have had them shorten and choke a barrel)... Carlson's sells a lot of stuff under different names, that's not that different from other things they sell.  For example, their "Buckshot choke" is just an extended full choke with ports. I have a gun with thin wall chokes and a thin wall turkey choke. I saw them selling all these TSS marked chokes and enquired whether or not it was safe to use TSS in the one I already have (which says no Hevi Shot, no steel). I expected them to say no, but they said all their chokes, thin wall or otherwise where fine for TSS.  (which surprised me)    So in reality, just because it says TSS, that doesn't mean it will work better than another choke with your gun and load of your choice. The only way to know is to try. The reason I gave up on new chokes, and started buying used on Ebay and Gunbroker. (and why I have some for sale now.)  Try em, goodbye em. :toclue: 

• Like 1

Indian creek and pure gold chokes. Not that I use them. Cant seem to turkey hunt much. Get 35-40 I get 80% on a HS turkey target. Last one I patterned was pure gold with hevi13 3.5" 1-7/8oz #6 loads and had over 130 pellets in the head and neck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1