Loss of our house dog

Salmon_Run

On Tuesday morning our beloved house pet collapsed and we had to ultimately euthanize him; I am awake at this hour grieving and have been unable to sleep. "Dunkin" was a rescue dog we obtained 14 years ago and we knew nothing of his history; we adopted him, I have owned several hunting dogs and we had him as a house pet and only knew he was from South Carolina and rescued from a kill shelter. He came home with my wife and I and an instant bond was formed.

He was truly a special animal and filled with love and he loved everyone he met and gave back his love freely; he loved barking at the neighborhood cats, rides in my truck, and simply being with his family and friends. I have never owned a more sensitive animal who knew your every mood and acted accordingly. The sheer grief my wife and I feel over this loss is staggering. We have 100's of photographs and memories with him, but right now there is such a void in our home. He was "always there" and he really never had a bad day. All he asked for was food, water and companionship and what he gave was love, beyond description, loyalty, laughter and immense joy.

My heart is broken and know time will ease our pain, but tonight I grieve greatly and please keep your pets in mind during this pandemic and beyond.

Thank you all and stay safe...

Dan  

IMG_0991.jpg

• Sad 8

Thank you all for your very kind words and thoughts; as I have my morning coffee my companion isn't here beside me, nor will he greet my wife in the kitchen as she come down stairs with the ever wagging tail..

RIP "Dunkin"; you will be forever in our hearts and thoughts..

IMG_0947.jpg

• Like 2

Dan

It has been 7 months since we went through the same thing with our dog and she was to us like you describe your relationship with yours. Trust me when I say it doesn't get any easier. I miss her as much today as the day she passed and there will be a empty place in my heart for the rest of my life. I still think of her and look for her everyday as I am sure you will to. A dog like that can never be replaced. My condolences.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1