Deer Anatomy

WNYBuckHunter

Some members talked about starting a good deer anatomy thread, and I thought it was a great idea, so I started this one. Hopefully it doesnt turn into an argument and can serve as a good source of info. Lets get started with some pics and models I found.

First, here is a pic of an actual deer that someone cut open carefully to reveal the internal organ placement.

157anatomy1.jpg

Next, here are some diagrams showing bone structure, circulatory system, etc.

deer1_skeleton.jpg

deer2_intestines.jpg

deer3_liver.jpg

deer4_diaphragm.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a nasty looking dead deer.

To visualize a treestand shot placement- think about your entry and exit holes. A Shot just under the spine on the entry is going to come out significantly lower for the exit, depending on of course the angle of entry. I thought I remembered seeing a TV personility using some computer program that showed shot placement and angle, but don't remember who or what it was called.

Sam, you are thinking of the D&DH shot simulator. I have it on my cell phone. Its a great little program. Its available for PCs, MACs or whatever you want to load it on.

http://www.deerandde.../shot-simulator

Perfect! So, does anyone want to debate the mystical "no man's land" (DOES NOT EXIST!) ?

Edited by sampotter

I shot a nice buck in 2007 that had a weird hole through his loin between the shoulder blades and scabs on either side of his body. When I scraped the scar tissue off of the cartilage part of the shoulder blade, there was a perfect 3-bladed broadhead hole. The arrow went through the top of the shoulder blade, above the spine, and out the other side. When I shot him on November 9th he was chasing does around and moving fine.

WNY, do you find that the app is useful in the field? Is it worth the $5 from Apple?

Its part of what I used to figure out what happened after the shot I took on Saturday. Its more of an amusement for me, but would be very useful for those that arent familiar with deer anatomy. Would be a great tool for hunters education classes.

• Like 1

I shot a nice buck in 2007 that had a weird hole through his loin between the shoulder blades and scabs on either side of his body. When I scraped the scar tissue off of the cartilage part of the shoulder blade, there was a perfect 3-bladed broadhead hole. The arrow went through the top of the shoulder blade, above the spine, and out the other side. When I shot him on November 9th he was chasing does around and moving fine.

Wow no kidding. How old was he in '07? They're amazing animals when it comes to being able to heal from such a significant wound.

Great thead thanks for taking the time...

But....I wish someone could tell me how my broad head passed through the doe I shot through and through mid way up infront of her knee...with out hitting guts and dropping her in 15 yrds???....mind you that's the shot where the knock stayed on the bow string...The pic shows the knock but the exit whole is under my bows shelf

No when aiming I was midway and behind shoulder...BUT the arrow had other plans when the knock detached....it stayed center body but hit just in front of the rear leg at the knee...as I said the exit wound is under the shelf of my bow....even though I was 16ft up...she was 34yrds out so the arrow stayed pretty flat just pulled way to the left...on the charts that should have hit intestines but her insides were clean and as I said she wobbled at ten yrds and dropped at fifteen yrds from hit....

I was sick when I saw the hit and Happily surprised at how fast she went down....hit an artery ....I never noticed the knock being on the bow string until I took the pics....there was no need to knock another arrow.....but it explained the strange noise I heard on release

Thats easy, you hit the Femoral artery that runs down the back and through the hind quarters. It is as quick a killing shot as you can get, did it once due to a walking shot I took(never again). I walked past the dead deer on the way to get the flash light, it was dead with in 20 yards, just over the hill from me.