AR 10 Bolt Catch won't catch BCG

Ok, so I think I know what is going on but I don't know how to fix it. I took the upper back off and removed the BCG. Sliding the BCG across the lower and into the buffer tube it is clear that the BCG will not go far enough into the buffer tube to allow the bolt catch to catch the bolt.

So, can I cut 1/4 inch off the back of the buffer?

Buy a new longer buffer tube?

Buy a new shorter buffer?

Something else I should do?

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Are you using an AR10 buffer ?

Honestly, I can't be 100% sure. I ordered a AR10 buffer so I assume it is but I have never had the buffer out of my 15 to compare the two. I am assuming I got what I paid for..

Most rifle buffers on the AR-10 are shorter and heavier than the AR-15 to accommodate the longer .308 bolt carrier group and the force from a larger round. This means they cannot be interchanged. However, the buffer tubes are the same length, making them compatible with either rifle. It should be noted that the buffer tube for the Armalite style AR-10 collapsible stock carbine features a unique length and only works with this model.

Also is your issue the buffer itself or the spring? You can try cutting half a coil off the spring, since you tried it manually this probably doesn’t apply but also sometimes a lighter buffer weight helps. It did with my 224 build. I thought I needed a rifle weight buffer but after some tinkering a carbine served me much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:22 AM, Chef said:

Also is your issue the buffer itself or the spring? You can try cutting half a coil off the spring, since you tried it manually this probably doesn’t apply but also sometimes a lighter buffer weight helps. It did with my 224 build. I thought I needed a rifle weight buffer but after some tinkering a carbine served me much better

I emailed the person I got the buffer and spring from. Just got back to me and told me to cut a coil off the spring and that he would send me a new shorter spring as soon as he got them in.....

• Like 1

I emailed the person I got the buffer and spring from. Just got back to me and told me to cut a coil off the spring and that he would send me a new shorter spring as soon as he got them in.....

It’s funny how we all kind of go through the same issues. Let me know how cutting the spring worked out

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

It’s funny how we all kind of go through the same issues. Let me know how cutting the spring worked out

Will do but I might just wait until I get the spring. I spending my free time turkey hunting so won't be out shooting until May is over. If I have the new spring buy then I will just swap it, if I don't I pull the buffer and cut the spring. Next time I take it apart I am going to measure the depth of the buffer tube as well. Thanks for you help and suggestions! I appreciate it!

I'm puzzled.  If the 308 buffer is shorter and the 308 tube longer, why would you need a shorter spring?  If you had the wrong spring, wouldn't the spring be too short instead of too long?  

15 hours ago, cas said:

I'm puzzled.  If the 308 buffer is shorter and the 308 tube longer, why would you need a shorter spring?  If you had the wrong spring, wouldn't the spring be too short instead of too long?  

I don't know, I am just going by what I as told.....

16 hours ago, cas said:

Unless they sent a spring that was too long?