Tagged out and an interesting find

alloutdoors

Finally tagged out in NY after what has been an unusually difficult season. I've been out 12 mornings and only heard gobbling on 5 of those, and other than a group of jakes that I called in earlier this week I haven't heard a single bird gobble more than an hour past fly down time. I had a chance to end my season back on the 5th but the bird snuck in off to my right and busted me as I was trying to get on him. This morning though I got set up between a roost site and a field where I figured they might head after last nights rain. There was at least one bird gobbling on the limb so I tree yelped at him a few times and then did a flydown as it was starting to get light. Half a dozen hens pitched right over me and straight into the field, but two gobblers decided they would walk instead, which turned out to be a very poor choice for one of them. 20lbs 4oz, 9 1/2" beard, 1 1/8" spurs

May15-7312.thumb.jpg.02d0e56aff922f71d62d03a18a065965.jpg

May15-7260.jpg.cf541c81865d5fa41766dca5dbceea19.jpg

While taking pictures of the bird I stumbled over a nice 8-point skull in the creek.

IMG_0900.thumb.jpg.ea1c4f1a8c57def8490dfc7cc262cd92.jpg

It was hung up in a log jam when I found it.

IMG_0897.jpg.2d28e4511d4e6b4a6f6f44cec827f114.jpg

This is the 2nd year in a row where I've found lead shot in a bird coming off this property. Not too surprising, these birds come out to a large corn field pretty regularly and two years ago I watched someone take a 90 yard shot at one from the field edge. Some people should really invest in a range finder. The little ones are my Heavyweight 7's, the other two look like lead 5's. I pulled four or five of them out of his back.

IMG_0901.thumb.jpg.66a4ba730a25984909a09804debe357c.jpg

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, alloutdoors said:

Finally tagged out in NY after what has been an unusually difficult season. I've been out 12 mornings and only heard gobbling on 5 of those, and other than a group of jakes that I called in earlier this week I haven't heard a single bird gobble more than an hour past fly down time. I had a chance to end my season back on the 5th but the bird snuck in off to my right and busted me as I was trying to get on him. This morning though I got set up between a roost site and a field where I figured they might head after last nights rain. There was at least one bird gobbling on the limb so I tree yelped at him a few times and then did a flydown as it was starting to get light. Half a dozen hens pitched right over me and straight into the field, but two gobblers decided they would walk instead, which turned out to be a very poor choice for one of them. 20lbs 4oz, 9 1/2" beard, 1 1/8" spurs

May15-7312.thumb.jpg.02d0e56aff922f71d62d03a18a065965.jpg

May15-7260.jpg.cf541c81865d5fa41766dca5dbceea19.jpg

While taking pictures of the bird I stumbled over a nice 8-point skull in the creek.

IMG_0900.thumb.jpg.ea1c4f1a8c57def8490dfc7cc262cd92.jpg

It was hung up in a log jam when I found it.

IMG_0897.jpg.2d28e4511d4e6b4a6f6f44cec827f114.jpg

This is the 2nd year in a row where I've found lead shot in a bird coming off this property. Not too surprising, these birds come out to a large corn field pretty regularly and two years ago I watched someone take a 90 yard shot at one from the field edge. Some people should really invest in a range finder. The little ones are my Heavyweight 7's, the other two look like lead 5's. I pulled four or five of them out of his back.

IMG_0901.thumb.jpg.66a4ba730a25984909a09804debe357c.jpg

Pretty bird, and nice photography...Congrats...

12 mornings, that’s commendable.   You must be single and laid off?!?!?!?
Congratulations on the birds too!!

I’ve been hunting like it this year, but no, married and currently working from home. The way the birds have been suffering from lockjaw I wasn’t out terribly late most mornings.

Awesome post, and think some people just shouldn't hunt. I bet a range finder wouldn't change their decision to pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely true of some people. The guy that I saw shoot a couple years ago was probably 80+ and I think his eyesight wasn’t the best. I talked to him afterward and he couldn’t figure out how he missed, he thought the bird had been “right there”.