Waders

Chef

So I’m on my 3rd pair of orvis waders all have leaked within 6 months of purchase, or replacement. I’m thinking about buying Patagonia but not sure if it’s worth it, any thoughts or suggestions.

For those of you that have not met me I’m also short and fat and sizing is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last pair of Orvis is waders lasted me about ten years. But I ripped them last bow season, while scouting the big swamp. Was thinking about doing some small stream trout fishing this weekend. But will probably just use my Muck boots, as I haven't replaced my waders.

Soooo....using waders during bow season, and Mucks during trout season. I've always been a little backwards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My last pair of Orvis is waders lasted me about ten years. But I ripped them last bow season, while scouting the big swamp. Was thinking about doing some small stream trout fishing this weekend. But will probably just use my Muck boots, as I haven't replaced my waders.
Soooo....using waders during bow season, and Mucks during trout season. I've always been a little backwards.

Yea man it was really strange 3 pairs 3 holes all in the crotch area. AT can attest the last time him and I fished the Delaware I got out and was soaked

I use the orvis  silver sonic waders. My current pair is 8 years old and previous pair lasted 10 years . I dont wear Jean's in them as they cause excessive wear in the crotch ... friction .  I have fleece I wear in winter and fishing pants that I wear in the summer. Padigonoias run small  and tend to be expensive.  Orvis has done away with silver sonics... dont knownwhat my next pair will be . Orvis makes  waders in stout sizes.

Edited by Nytracker

I am hard on my waders...walking through thorny brush to get deeper than the deepest!
As a result, I avoid expensive waders and hoping to get many years out of them. I opt for the field and stream variety usually under $100 and get 2-4 seasons out of a pair(usually surviving a wet final season!).

I need new boots...I like the felt bottom boots but my left foot started to peel.

Orvis will replace those. I once brought in a 20-year-old pair that I found at a garage sale, just to see if they could fix a leak and they offered to replace. I said no.

At the higher level, they're all good. It just comes down to what fits you best. Patagonia doesn't work for me at all, Simms and Redington do. I use Redington. They've replaced waders for broken zippers and leaks (my fault) and have on two occasions replaced lesser models with the top of their line. 

Edited by left field

Orvis will replace those. I once brought in a 20-year-old pair that I found at a garage sale, just to see if they could fix a leak and they offered to replace. I said no.
At the higher level, they're all good. It just comes down to what fits you best. Patagonia doesn't work for me at all, Simms and Redington do. I use Redington. They've replaced waders for broken zippers and leaks (my fault) and have on two occasions replaced lesser models with the top of their line. 

Yea they have replaced them twice already I’m just getting sick of it. Sizing is really the issue for me as well. The short fat thing

Fair enough. Maybe it's just a fit issue. Unfortunately, the only way to get that dialed in is to visit a shop.

Yea I just ordered like 2 min ago the llbean kennebec ones. Good return policy and not $700 lol I’ll give them a shot next weekend

They all leak. I have never gotten more than a duck season out of any waders I have purchased. I have learned that wearing them in the truck certainly shortens the waterproofness of the waders in the crotch seems.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

For those of you that have not met me I’m also short and fat and sizing is a problem.

You want “stout” waders. I always get the cheap stocking with a good pair of korkers with changeable soles.

• Like 1

I am hard on my waders...walking through thorny brush to get deeper than the deepest!

As a result, I avoid expensive waders and hoping to get many years out of them. I opt for the field and stream variety usually under $100 and get 2-4 seasons out of a pair(usually surviving a wet final season!).

I need new boots...I like the felt bottom boots but my left foot started to peel.

I thought felt was a no-go in New York.i just threw three pair of felt sole away.

Check out korkers they come with a rubber and felt set of soles.

I thought felt was a no-go in New York.i just threw three pair of felt sole away.

I have never heard that about felt soles being illegal in NY and a quick google search revealed nothing helpful

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I believe they got rid of that actually. I think felt soles are ok to use 

• Like 1

They're not illegal, though the DEC recommends rubber. The jury is out on didymo, but I think if you stick to one watershed and thoroughly dry between outings you're fine.

I use the Ultimate Wading Shoe designed by Gary Borger. They are long out of production but I got in touch with the manufacturer and secured a few replacement soles they had in a back storeroom so I'm good for like forever.

That stacked heel is a lifesaver as it wedges into rocks. I'm surprised no one else uses it  

image.png.da9e9d71442f94f83eb387befe199c87.png

Edited by left field

Simms

That’s what I was leaning towards, went with llbean for now. Figured if they work great If not I’ll buy the Simms when I can touch and feel them didn’t want to make a $700 purchase without feeling and trying on

I bought a pair of Red-ball waders about 35 years ago.  I used them in the spring, for spear-fishing at night for spring suckers, for about 10 years.  After that, the DEC made that sport illegal in our local creeks.   They never leaked.   I got wet feet in them a time or two, but only when I stepped into a deep hole and took some over the top.  There was a nice pocket in the top that would hold a few beers (we took a lot of beer breaks while spear-fishing).   Since I no longer had a use for the waders, I cut the upper part off a couple years ago.  Now I use those boots when I need non-insulated water-proof boots, like right now for late spring turkey hunting.   They are very comfortable, and fit just right.    My toes got pretty cold in them last weekend, but they were great this morning (too bad the turkeys did not cooperate).   They had been hanging on a nail out in the barn for about 20 years.  I had wore out my last pair of rubber boots and rather than buying a new pair, I took a sharp knife to those waders.   The upper part, that I cut off, still looked pretty good.   I suppose they would have held water if I still had a use for them.       

4 hours ago, Chef said:

That’s what I was leaning towards, went with llbean for now. Figured if they work great If not I’ll buy the Simms when I can touch and feel them didn’t want to make a $700 purchase without feeling and trying on

I have a pair of Simms and they weren't anywhere near $700.

You'd have to be a complete klutz and stupidly oblivious to your surroundings to screw them up. Ive been through thick stuff in Canada and over logs in my float tube with mine without a problem.

• Like 1