How many will leave NY in 2021 ?

The last figures I saw ,was for 2017 I believe, 180,000 left NYS that year for a net loss of 80,000 as births outnumber deaths and some do move to NYS .

With corona and the long lockdown , causing a loss of jobs here, as well as possible tax increases on top of already high taxes along with Cuomo’s push to take over / revamp schools, healthcare and who knows what else , my guess is double the number or 360,000 in the year 2021 . NYC is the wild card, my daughter has a friend there that hasn’t left her apartment in two months ! How many like her will say wtf am I doing living here ? 

A hefty number of our friends and relatives have long since left, and the past day,  two more announced they’re getting the F out of here . Two couples over to the house  last night ,one we knew were  moving to Tenn when they retire at the end of this summer, the other couple are a year out ,and just announced they’re stating to look down south . Walking the dog today we stopped to talk to some neighbors ,she’s a nurse in risk of being laid off , not sure what he does , they’re moving to North Carolina, they’re afraid of the job market here and Cuomos  expanding Governmental control , kind of a last straw .

Of course Mrs Nomad ,who is constantly trying to get me to agree to moving , has increased her effort , if it wasn’t for, our kids living here I’d agree , we’ll see now where the dust settles on all this .

The trouble with most people moving to better states is, they bring their same dumb political ideas with them and vote the better states into the same dumb troubles they voted into the states they left.  Texas is getting fed up with all the morons coming in from California and southern states have about had it with people from the northeast blue states coming down there.  You can't fix stupid.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Nomad said:

With corona and the long lockdown , causing a loss of jobs here, as well as possible tax increases on top of already high taxes along with Cuomo’s push to take over / revamp schools, healthcare and who knows what else , my guess is double the number or 360,000 in the year 2021 .

You forgot to mention that most people leave because of the lousy weather/winters. :laugh:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rattler said:

The trouble with most people moving to better states is, they bring their same dumb political ideas with them and vote the better states into the same dumb troubles they voted into the states they left.  Texas is getting fed up with all the morons coming in from California and southern states have about had it with people from the northeast blue states coming down there.  You can't fix stupid.

True to a degree , however everyone we know who left certainly aren’t “ blue “. From what I’ve seen visiting them in Texas , NC. , Fla and Tenn. the biggest issue is the limited housing supply and dramatic rise in prices . Most of the new transplants neighbors aren’t born and raised there either , fitting in has never been an issue , outside of the internet .

Last one to leave was the wife’s nephew, he sold his law practice here and moved his wife and four kids to outside of Dallas because he hated NYS high cost of living and political climate  . Kids all made new friends , he’s doing well there as an attorney, lots,of,social life ,oh and his guns are legal there .

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

4 yrs and were outta here.  Tennessee bound.

That’s the one state that most of our friends / relatives moved to . The couple who ,just broke ground on their home there , has two, neighbors from the next town over up, here ( Penfield )  , and the real estate agent they used down there, actually was the first owner of MY house here in Webster .

My nephew does very well in deer season there too !

• Like 2

Been a few articles recently about housing in the suburbs skyrocketing because people want to move out of nyc.

Regarding weather, SENY rarely gets snow anymore. Huge change from when I was a kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Been a few articles recently about housing in the suburbs skyrocketing because people want to move out of nyc.

Regarding weather, SENY rarely gets snow anymore. Huge change from when I was a kid

Up, up and away for housing north of the city.....isn't it great!  

I plowed one time this winter and thats damn fine by me too!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I’m leaving cuz I got NO SNOW DAYS and no ice fishing !!!! The weather was TOO GOOD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But being a long time resident you know it could be the complete opposite this upcoming winter but I wonder if teaching from home or a remote classroom would snow days still be part of the equation.

• Like 1

Up, up and away for housing north of the city.....isn't it great!  
I plowed one time this winter and thats damn fine by me too!

Now if remote access for work becomes permanent, I head to Scottsdale and have a variety of big game species to hunt in AZ with tons of Stateland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But being a long time resident you know it could be the complete opposite this upcoming winter but I wonder if teaching from home or a remote classroom would snow days still be part of the equation.

So they took our spring break and owe us 1 snow day....our last day will be June 23 instead of 29. Still later than I normally work...finals/projects/ etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s sad that the politics ruin this state, I like living where I do. When you stop and think what NY offers a outdoorsman and sights to see  ( Finger lakes , Great Lake , 1000 islands ,  Niagara’s falls , Adirondack @ Catskills , salt water fishing , tons of state land, Watkins glen race track, etc. I  like it here , I just wish we could turn this state around but the more conservative upstater’s that move the more we are out voted by the liberals. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3