Bows of the future

regulat0r

If we all went back in time 20-30 years, I’m sure we would be blown away at the bows that are out now. I’m sure back then, if someone told you bows would be 4 lbs and shoot 350fps you’d say “no way.”  That being said, what do you think bow technology will produce in the next 10-20 years? Bows that somehow shoot 375 with a comfortable draw? Some type of composite material that will make 2-3 lb bows the norm?

If you were to guess about compound bows of the future, what do you think?

Unfortunately vertical bowhunting is a dying sport. There really hasn’t been a huge advancement in bows in quite a few years. Not saying there wont be improvements , but as nyslowland pointed out the cost will dictate improvements. I’n my opinion top of the line bows are way overpriced now for the average guy that wants to bow hunt. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

I think the advancement of bows will be that they are crossbows.  More and more states opening up to crossbow.  If anything I think use will fade some. IMHO I think that's like saying what advancements will there be in traditional bows.   And that's coming from a guy who loves bow hunting.

I dont see much advancement with the exception of materials used.

Watched single cam rise and fall, magnesium handles, machined aluminum.  I do not see vertical bows going away even if crossbow comes in whole season. Many of my friends in ohio have and use both, and have for years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I dont see much advancement with the exception of materials used.

Watched single cam rise and fall, magnesium handles, machined aluminum.  I do not see vertical bows going away even if crossbow comes in whole season. Many of my friends in ohio have and use both, and have for years. 

That Mathews sure has a wonderful marketing team , they made everyone think they needed a solocam and then to get away frpm it they transitioned to no-cam .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That Mathews sure has a wonderful marketing team , they made everyone think they needed a solocam and then to get away frpm it they transitioned to no-cam .

Single cam easier to adjust but ,cannot get max speed from one. I buy a new bow when the technology changes enough to warrent it.. so it was 87 a pse from bowhunters wearhouse 89 a ,a used oneida strike eagle, 99 matherws mq 32,  2007 a mathews outback. Havent seen anything advanced to make me need to get new bow.

17 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Single cam easier to adjust but ,cannot get max speed from one. I buy a new bow when the technology changes enough to warrent it.. so it was 87 a pse from bowhunters wearhouse 89 a ,a used oneida strike eagle, 99 matherws mq 32,  2007 a mathews outback. Havent seen anything advanced to make me need to get new bow.

I know they need to be tuned more often , im a big fan of high let off for a hunting bow . I think it was Hoyt changed the riser length like 1/2 inch on their flagship bow and people jumped all over it ,i'll never understand . 

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

I'm with you G-Man. I upgrade my bow every fifteen years or so, when the technology really changes. Still have my 2000 MQ-32 as a back up bow. And there is no doubt I could still kill deer with it.

I think the new thing with bows, will be to increase the brace height even more. To add more accuracy, and forgiveness but still keep up the the FPS race.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I'm with you G-Man. I upgrade my bow every fifteen years or so, when the technology really changes. Still have my 2000 MQ-32 as a back up bow. And there is no doubt I could still kill deer with it.

I think the new thing with bows, will be to increase the brace height even more. To add more accuracy, and forgiveness but still keep up the the FPS race.

I still have my mq32 and used it as a back up a few seasons ago when I had limb delamination on new one, they wanted to put 70 lbs limbs on so I could still hunt I said no I'll wait for 60lbs I have a good back up.. picked it up was right on, one those sight are set and kisser button it's just like a rifle pick it up and can kill something with it 1st shot..  that is the biggest thing I've seen , no real need to practice 100s of arrows with a compound unlike a stick or recurve.. people wont admit it but compound with all the accessories and high let off is pretty much a x bow in ease of shooting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

I still have my mq32 and used it as a back up a few seasons ago when I had limb delamination on new one, they wanted to put 70 lbs limbs on so I could still hunt I said no I'll wait for 60lbs I have a good back up.. picked it up was right on, one those sight are set and kisser button it's just like a rifle pick it up and can kill something with it 1st shot..  that is the biggest thing I've seen , no real need to practice 100s of arrows with a compound unlike a stick or recurve.. people wont admit it but compound with all the accessories and high let off is pretty much a x bow in ease of shooting.

Compounds are definitely easier than  a trad bow.  But saying it’s as easy as a crossbow, not sure I would go there. 

I don't foresee a new bow in my future. New technology or not I still shoot a Martin Cougar III. It does everything I need it to do. A deer is not going to know the difference between a arrow, Shot from the latest and greatest bow or one that is 50,000 years old. As long as the shooter does his or her part.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

I don't foresee a new bow in my future. New technology or not I still shoot a Martin Cougar III. It does everything I need it to do. A deer is not going to know the difference between a arrow, Shot from the latest and greatest bow or one that is 50,000 years old. As long as the shooter does his or her part.

The deer won't know but i will . New bows help me increase my archery abilities . 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

. people wont admit it but compound with all the accessories and high let off is pretty much a x bow in ease of shooting.

Not the same for getting off a shot at a deer though, because you still need to make that quick draw motion with a compound, no matter how much let-off it has.  Quick motions put deer into high-alert mode, making them prime candidates for clean misses or bad hits due to "string jump".    With a crossbow, the deer usually have no clue what hit them. 

This buck, that I killed last year with my crossbow, was a perfect example of the strength of that weapon compared to the vertical bow.  There is no way that I could have taken him with a vertical.  He  had locked eye contact with me, from about 70 yards away.   My head and shoulders were completely exposed.   Had I tried to draw a bow, I would have been busted instantly.  With the crossbow, all I had to do was move my head down into shooting position.  I did that in "super-slow" motion.    After what seemed like forever with the long stare-down at 70 yards, he began to cautiously move closer.  Even my trigger squeeze was slow, after he finally got into range and his vitals aligned with the "green-dot".   I am certain that he had no clue what caused the sudden pain in his chest.   

1941223022_8pointcb2109asfound.jpg.d6d993fada1652e288acca6e0df5f333.jpg

Edited by wolc123

It's funny,  when people talk of "advancements", they mean making things easier.

This got me thinking about a discussion/argument I had about "advancements" in long range shooting. All the new tech and gadgets, modern scopes, rifles, cartridges that all make it easier for less skilled people to do. That doesn't sound like an advancement in long range shooting to me, kind of the opposite. The analogy I used was the "electronic bugle." The device they use at military funerals that plays Taps, while a guy pretends to play the bugle. Would you view this as an advancement in bugle playing?  ;)  

Long range shooting, bows, muzzle loaders... by advancement we mean the watering down and eventual loss of the very reasons we started doing it in the first place. Because it was difficult and took skill. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cas said:

It's funny,  when people talk of "advancements", they mean making things easier.

This got me thinking about a discussion/argument I had about "advancements" in long range shooting. All the new tech and gadgets, modern scopes, rifles, cartridges that all make it easier for less skilled people to do. That doesn't sound like an advancement in long range shooting to me, kind of the opposite. The analogy I used was the "electronic bugle." The device they use at military funerals that plays Taps, while a guy pretends to play the bugle. Would you view this as an advancement in bugle playing?  ;)  

Long range shooting, bows, muzzle loaders... by advancement we mean the watering down and eventual loss of the very reasons we started doing it in the first place. Because it was difficult and took skill. 

I don't agree with that....

Hitting a man sized target at distance WAS the standard.

Now hitting tennis balls or smaller is; and that isn't any easier or all the records would be broken for all classes by amateurs; but they aren't.

The guy isn't playing the bugle; the shooter is still pulling the trigger.

52 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Not the same for getting off a shot at a deer though, because you still need to make that quick draw motion with a compound, no matter how much let-off it has.  Quick motions put deer into high-alert mode, making them prime candidates for clean misses or bad hits due to "string jump".    With a crossbow, the deer usually have no clue what hit them. 

This buck, that I killed last year with my crossbow, was a perfect example of the strength of that weapon compared to the vertical bow.  There is no way that I could have taken him with a vertical.  He  had locked eye contact with me, from about 70 yards away.   My head and shoulders were completely exposed.   Had I tried to draw a bow, I would have been busted instantly.  With the crossbow, all I had to do was move my head down into shooting position.  I did that in "super-slow" motion.    After what seemed like forever with the long stare-down at 70 yards, he began to cautiously move closer.  Even my trigger squeeze was slow, after he finally got into range and his vitals aligned with the "green-dot".   I am certain that he had no clue what caused the sudden pain in his chest.   

1941223022_8pointcb2109asfound.jpg.d6d993fada1652e288acca6e0df5f333.jpg

I've never spooked a deer drawing ,I shoot light poundage and draw when its behind tree or looking dead away, having used both, the bow is lighter more maneuverable,  while x bow lacks draw. Is heavier and less maneuverable ( I have some stands you cant use one in as the vertical trunks are to close together and to close, that's it. Aiming is the same , if you guess range wrong or hit a limb the results are the same

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

I've never spooked a deer drawing ,I shoot light poundage and draw when its behind tree or looking dead away, having used both, the bow is lighter more maneuverable,  while x bow lacks draw. Is heavier and less maneuverable ( I have some stands you cant use one in as the vertical trunks are to close together and to close, that's it. Aiming is the same , if you guess range wrong or hit a limb the results are the same

I spooked a few, including the last one that I killed with my vertical, in 2012.   I was in a hang-on stand in a hedgerow, and the buck approached from the field behind me.  I drew my bow as he passed thru the hedgerow, about 10 yards from my stand.   He must have caught a glimpse because he stopped abruptly about 15 yards out, standing at a quartering away angle.   When I released, he reared back and down, taking the arrow thru the center of his neck.   He bolted off and I thought I heard a crash, then considerable thrashing around in the bush, over the next 5 minutes or so.  I waited 1/2 hour before climbing down, finding him 40 yards away and completely bled out.  I suppose the wide mechanical broadhead cut his jugular and/or aorta.    

Not all crossbows are "heavier and less maneuverable".  My new Centerpoint Sniper certainly falls into those categories, but my old Barnett Recruit, not so much.  The Recruit is several pounds lighter, considerably more compact, and handles just like my Ruger 10/22 carbine.   I will probably continue using the Recruit from a few hang on stands which lack rests.  Speaking of rests, that is the second major advantage the crossbow has over the vertical - The ability to shoot from a rest.  Certainly anyone who has shot targets with a BB gun recognizes how much more accuracy can be attained using a rest.   I had good rests with (4) of the (5) bucks that I have killed with the Recruit since 2014, so I wont feel all that handicapped with the wider, heavier Sniper.   

As far as that 2019 buck in the photo, I had no option of waiting for him to get behind a tree, because he was across an open field and saw me before I saw him.   He never looked away, although he did lower his head and started closing the range after a very long stare-down.   Even Fred Bear would have struggled with a vertical in that situation.   As you can see by the shot placement in the photo, there was no problem with the crossbow.      

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I spooked a few, including the last one that I killed with my vertical, in 2012.   I was in a hang-on stand in a hedgerow, and the buck approached from the field behind me.  I drew my bow as he passed thru the hedgerow, about 10 yards from my stand.   He must have caught a glimpse because he stopped abruptly about 15 yards out, standing at a quartering away angle.   When I released, he reared back and down, taking the arrow thru the center of his neck.   He bolted off and I thought I heard a crash, then considerable thrashing around in the bush, over the next 5 minutes or so.  I waited 1/2 hour before climbing down, finding him 40 yards away and completely bled out.  I suppose the wide mechanical broadhead cut his jugular and/or aorta.    

Not all crossbows are "heavier and less maneuverable".  My new Centerpoint Sniper certainly falls into those categories, but my old Barnett Recruit, not so much.  The Recruit is several pounds lighter, considerably more compact, and handles just like my Ruger 10/22 carbine.   I will probably continue using the Recruit from a few hang on stands which lack rests.  Speaking of rests, that is the second major advantage the crossbow has over the vertical - The ability to shoot from a rest.  Certainly anyone who has shot targets with a BB gun recognizes how much more accuracy can be attained using a rest.   I had good rests with (4) of the (5) bucks that I have killed with the Recruit since 2014, so I wont feel all that handicapped with the wider, heavier Sniper.   

As far as that 2019 buck in the photo, I had no option of waiting for him to get behind a tree, because he was across an open field and saw me before I saw him.   He never looked away, although he did lower his head and started closing the range after a very long stare-down.   Even Fred Bear would have struggled with a vertical in that situation.   As you can see by the shot placement in the photo, there was no problem with the crossbow.      

Where you decide to hunt and how has it's own set of advantages or disadvantages. I do not like to see deer coming rather depending on hearing and when they are in view they are well within range.. a rest in a a hang on is not likely so again disadvantage  to holding crossbow .. they both have their advantage and flaws but are essentially the same . Trigger , scope or sights , and approximately same fps at reasonable ranges..  I have taken deer art 65 with compound and 50 with x bow.  So. Range is similar.  The argument about drawing is near moot if you can draw and hold as.long as you want with 80% or more let off.  It simply becomes a matter of choice when to move and release with either. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Where you decide to hunt and how has it's own set of advantages or disadvantages. I do not like to see deer coming rather depending on hearing and when they are in view they are well within range.. a rest in a a hang on is not likely so again disadvantage  to holding crossbow .. they both have their advantage and flaws but are essentially the same . Trigger , scope or sights , and approximately same fps at reasonable ranges..  I have taken deer art 65 with compound and 50 with x bow.  So. Range is similar.  The argument about drawing is near moot if you can draw and hold as.long as you want with 80% or more let off.  It simply becomes a matter of choice when to move and release with either. 

I also rely very heavily on hearing and have probably heard 3 (that I ended up killing), for every one that I saw first.   65 is a pretty good poke for a compound.  Was that out West ?    I have not taken any at over thirty with my vertical.   I did push my crossbow to 59 one time, but I would certainly never try that again with the Recruit, because the bolt only penetrated 8" into the buck at that range (fortunately that took it all the way thru the heart).  That was before I had a laser range finder, and I miss-judged the range by about 10 yards (the heart hit was unintentional).

post-5805-0-99666600-1419986712.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I also rely very heavily on hearing and have probably heard 3 (that I ended up killing), for every one that I saw first.   65 is a pretty good poke for a compound.  Was that out West ?    I have not taken any at over thirty with my vertical.   I did push my crossbow to 59 one time, but I would certainly never try that again with the Recruit, because the bolt only penetrated 8" into the buck at that range (fortunately that took it all the way thru the heart).  That was before I had a laser range finder, and I miss-judged the range by about 10 yards (the heart hit was unintentional).

post-5805-0-99666600-1419986712.jpg

No it was at.my.place a  buck on my. Birthday open roadway.  Have taken several deer  at 40 to 50 with vertical bow. All on logging roads/ field edge  . Practice 40 and 50 yard shots , dont really.bother with anything under 30 as pins are set. And my last pin is 65.  Crossbow bolts drop kinetic energy faster than an arrow as weight is less.  Once pins are set it simply.knowing the range. The hardest part of hunting imo. No matter what you are using.. seen many people sight in rifles at 200 yards shoot right over deer at 25 .. sight in and practice at expected ranges. Then long shots are practiced and the close become gimme..

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

No it was at.my.place a  buck on my. Birthday open roadway.  Have taken several deer  at 40 to 50 with vertical bow. All on logging roads/ field edge  . Practice 40 and 50 yard shots , dont really.bother with anything under 30 as pins are set. And my last pin is 65.  Crossbow bolts drop kinetic energy faster than an arrow as weight is less.  Once pins are set it simply.knowing the range. The hardest part of hunting imo. No matter what you are using.. seen many people sight in rifles at 200 yards shoot right over deer at 25 .. sight in and practice at expected ranges. Then long shots are practiced and the close become gimme..

I really like the factory scope that came with my Centerpoint Sniper.   It is 4X magnification and four different crosshairs.   The top one was right on at 20 yards and the second from the top was right on at 30 yards, when using 100 grain tips.   I am guessing that the third one will be good for 40 yards and the 4th one 50 yards.    I will definitely verify that prior to deer season.   I am really looking forward to having that 50 yard effective range (I have been limiting myself to 30 yards with my old Barnett Recruit the last few seasons for "energy" reasons).

I usually hang ribbons out in several directions around all my stands, at my maximum effective range, before the season starts.  I assume I will be hanging them at 30 and 50 yards this year, depending on which crossbow I choose.   I also range known objects that are closer, so that I can quickly choose the right pin/crosshair when the deer shows up.        

I have done ok with the range game with my crossbow, shotgun, and rifle,  but I should have used the laser range finder with my ML last December.  I "guessed" that a doe was at 150 yards, across an open field down at my buddy's Southern-Tier camp, but she turned out to be at 200 yards.  I shot right under her.  That is one mistake that I hope I don't make again.  I know my own fields pretty good, but I was way off down at that place.