Permethrin concentrates recommendation

BKhunter

Hey All,

Did a little scouting today and the sawyers worked well but not as great as I thought. Still saw ticks crawling on me but nothing on the skin which is good. I heard folks here make their own spray out of permethrin concertante since sawyers is so expensive. Have to order some stuff from tractor supply so was wondering if there is a recommendation from there that you all use but will order from somewhere else if you recommend that too. Thanks!

BK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy they happy jack kennel dip II (2)

For my turkey gear I fill a 5 gallon pale 1/2 full with warm water. Shake the kennel dip bottle good, Add about 4 tablespoons of kennel dip to make a cloudy white water solution.
Put on rubber dish gloves and dunk each article of clothing and wring out and hang up to dry. I also dip my turkey vest after emptying everything out.

Whatever solution is left I pour it through a paint filter into an old 409 spray bottle to be used to freshen up outer layers through the season. ( make sure to label the bottle tick spray)

I have been doing this for years and spend many hours in the woods in a number of states and some heavily tick infested areas and I have never had a tick bite.
I have watched hundreds of ticks on my clothes start walking then start doing circles and fall off dead.
For bow hunting clothes I must down with the spray and then spray scent killer after that and no ticks and no issues with getti g winded by deer.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, reeltime said:

I buy they happy jack kennel dip II (2)

For my turkey gear I fill a 5 gallon pale 1/2 full with warm water. Shake the kennel dip bottle good, Add about 4 tablespoons of kennel dip to make a cloudy white water solution.
Put on rubber dish gloves and dunk each article of clothing and wring out and hang up to dry. I also dip my turkey vest after emptying everything out.

Whatever solution is left I pour it through a paint filter into an old 409 spray bottle to be used to freshen up outer layers through the season. ( make sure to label the bottle tick spray)

I have been doing this for years and spend many hours in the woods in a number of states and some heavily tick infested areas and I have never had a tick bite.
I have watched hundreds of ticks on my clothes start walking then start doing circles and fall off dead.
For bow hunting clothes I must down with the spray and then spray scent killer after that and no ticks and no issues with getti g winded by deer.

Thanks for the detailed response! I used sawyers this weekend and still saw ticks crawling on my clothes. Some dropped off some I flicked off as I was going. I was scouting in Long Island which is loaded with ticks, so this process seems like a lot better then what I was doing. I sprayed some sawyers but not as drenched as you get. Do you just do your pants and shirt? and leave base layers non-treated?

7 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

Thanks for the detailed response! I used sawyers this weekend and still saw ticks crawling on my clothes. Some dropped off some I flicked off as I was going. I was scouting in Long Island which is loaded with ticks, so this process seems like a lot better then what I was doing. I sprayed some sawyers but not as drenched as you get. Do you just do your pants and shirt? and leave base layers non-treated?

You'd probably need to drop a nuclear bomb on LI to not have ticks crawling on you.  Probably that wouldn't work either.  You guys are braver than me trudging thru the woods there.  I remember once walking thru a brushy spot on a beach on Fire Island a few years back.  I must have been in this patch of brush for 5 freaking minutes and I had about a dozen ticks crawling on my pants.  Screw that!  No one will catch me walking thru any such spot on LI ever again!!

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You'd probably need to drop a nuclear bomb on LI to not have ticks crawling on you.  Probably that wouldn't work either.  You guys are braver than me trudging thru the woods there.  I remember once walking thru a brushy spot on a beach on Fire Island a few years back.  I must have been in this patch of brush for 5 freaking minutes and I had about a dozen ticks crawling on my pants.  Screw that!  No one will catch me walking thru any such spot on LI ever again!!

I used to only hunt upstate, but with a baby on the way due in September,  I need to find some hunting spots close to home for quick morning and afternoon sits. Desperate times call for desperate measures lol

Good info.  (because I'm about $50 into Sawyers already this year and it's only May)

Why? Treat your clothes once and it last quite a long time-even though washes.
I do not treat them every time I enter the woods

51 minutes ago, crappyice said:

WASH your hunting clothes  ??  WTF  kind of a silly idea is that  ??

Reminds me of the time a Doctor prescribed some suppositories for me...

For all of the good they did me I might as well have stuck them up my ass !!

• Haha 2

Interesting discussion to be sure. Please understand that any spray may (or may not) kill something IMMEDIATELY. Once critters come in contact with treated substances, they will likely die. The only questions are when and where. So, just because you may see something crawling, doesn't mean the product did not work. 

FWIW, I received my graduate degree in Entomology from the University of Florida in 1979. Been doing this for many moons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

Makes me wonder why nobody makes a scent free clothes wash with Permethrin in it!

• Like 1

Everything gets dunked