How to hunt deer during shotgun?

dirt_a_KISS

I have been hunting for 7 years now I believe and sometimes that happens last year during bow I could not go a day without seeing 4 bucks and a half dozen does or so every day. Rifle season came and a saw 12 on opening day and 3 deer until muzzleloader season. and I hunt almost every day.

The most important thing is to figure out is other hunters. The farther hunters have to travel or the harder an area is to get to the less likely it is to get pressure. Figure out where they park how they come and go to there stands and most importantly stay in the stand until you get a deer or it gets dark. Look for escape routes from the areas that get pressure. Deer know where to go when the lead starts flying they will remember how they survived last time and will repeat the process. It will usually involve the thickest gnarliest crap you can find that only a crazy person would deal with (and deer). I wouldn't touch a call, sent or set of horns during gun season.

I have had several deer that i have watched get pushed to me by other guys from a distance. I have sat in the stand looking at a bunch of pumpkins move around through the day and when they get up for lunch BOOM i drop the deer. I could go on but it would be just more of the same. Its what the hunters are or are not dong that matters not the deer.

If you have been doing what the majority of other guys do for the past three years it might be time to re-consider.

Do the other guys you hunt with shoot a lot of deer?

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by 5.9cummins

Use google earth! try to find funnels or pinch point ares where you hunt!! your odds of not only seeing but killing deer will greatly go up for bow and gunseasons, another good way of geting in the right spot is after gun season go walking in the SNOW youll find great sign then too.. in spots you probally never thought to look.

BUT for right now getting ready for gun GOOGLE EARTH your spot get in a pinch point and youll be surprised of the action youll see.. GOOD LUCK..

if the stand isnt working out for you stalking can be real fun with the shot gun and if you have a few other buddys try some deer drives. a lot of people have problems with deer drives but the truth is you can have some fun doing them and also get deer.

You need to change your strategy from hunting natural movement to hunting pressured deer. Find a pinch point or funnel that pressured deer are going to use when the s#@t hits the fan on opening day. Don't count on the deer to continue with their normal feeding habits and movement patterns.

• Like 1

Some great advice given on here. Stay in the woods when others are leaving for lunch. I have shot my fair share on stateland while sitting in my tree stand while others are leaving mid day then chasing deer right past me.

Just an observation of mine when it comes to gun hunting. I see a lot of guys walking around and I dont mean still hunting I mean just walking by themselves gun at the ready. I always wonder what the hell they are doing. I think they hear shots and feel left out. I liken it to the guys who jump into your fishing spot after you catch a fish. If you are in a spot with a lot of sign you will eventually see deer there. Hunting from the ground can be a great expereince but you do not have the same field of view as one does from a treestand. I also think you need to put several hours into a spot not just 45 minutes and move. I am not pointing fingers at anyone here but I have hunted with a few guys who do that. I always tell them to find a nice spot and stay there for 3 or 4 hours.

set up some mock scrapes and mock rubs, and hang some scent wicks. it will attract deer to that area, and they may hang out there to see whos creating all the rutkus. use a rasp on smaller saplings, and spray scent killer on it afterwards, then put a few drops of the scent of ur choice.(wildlife research active scrape and mega tarsal plus), and put special golden estrus on the wicks. you may have good results.