What would do this to my fence?

MPHunter

I hear all the porcupine theories but where I live I'm not sure. Residential, not wooded,, closest patch of woods at least quarter to half mile away. Would a possum do this?

I'm starting to lean towards the chupacabra....

1 hour ago, MPHunter said:

I hear all the porcupine theories but where I live I'm not sure. Residential, not wooded,, closest patch of woods at least quarter to half mile away. Would a possum do this?

I'm starting to lean towards the chupacabra....

I lived for 35 years in a rural area, but it was a dairy farm surrounded by farm fields and the closest woods were a good 1/4 mile away....However, I killed two porcupines  less than 100 yards of my house....They sometimes travel further than you would think over open ground...  And no...a possum would NOT do that, and those claw marks on the fence are definitely not from a possum... I checked My  Genuine Davy Crockett Indian Scout Handbook to confirm that..

• Like 1

Tracks around? All porky's need is a hollow under a building or in a tree and they have a home , eat bark mostly. Any damage to trees near the top? Bare patches.. prolly a porky,  if not I'll say coon making opening bigger to get through on its nightly excursions. Scratches to large for squirrels. 

• Like 1

Took a look this morning and no more of the fence was chewed. Maybe it was a porcupine passing through the neighborhood. One thing I did notice was there were scratch marks down the whole length of the fence but not as concentrated as they are where it was eaten.