Box blind continued....

G-Man

Once u add heat Gman you will stay longer. My son brought his tablet last year and we watched NASCAR and Football we picked up wi fi ha A couple of comfy swivel chairs and you’re going to be there for a while by the way I really like the rustic siding on the box blind nice job

• Like 1

Beautiful eight definitely a mature dear @wolc123have you started planting your beans and corn yet I got in 3 acres of corn waiting for some more rain to do a couple more then on the beans they are the best

BTW I love the blind. When I was 16 I hunted out of a similar blind it was on top of an old Volkswagen van from the 60s that my brother’s father-in-law rigged up it was the best yours looks the same nice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lomax said:

Beautiful eight definitely a mature dear @wolc123have you started planting your beans and corn yet I got in 3 acres of corn waiting for some more rain to do a couple more then on the beans they are the best

BTW I love the blind. When I was 16 I hunted out of a similar blind it was on top of an old Volkswagen van from the 60s that my brother’s father-in-law rigged up it was the best yours looks the same nice!

I have taken a few other 8's, one of which I had a shoulder mount made from (because it was my first Adirondack buck), but that one that I killed on our farm in WNY last season definitely had the best rack of any of them.  Initially I thought he was a big 2-1/2, but after finishing up the euro and comparing the skull to some others, I am pretty sure he was 3-1/2.

Ironically, last season was the first that I can recall when no corn was grown on our farm (it was too wet to get any in last spring).   I did get a few acres of soybean/wheat/white clover mix planted in the early fall last year and it probably fattened that buck up a bit.   He was the first one that I ever killed at home that had no corn in his belly.

The fields are starting to dry up pretty good now and I plan on starting to plow soon.   I am going to pick up a few bags of fertilizer on Friday.  I have plenty of leftover corn seed and plan on getting in 3-4 acres sometime before the middle of June.  Without corn, I can't hold any deer on our ground after opening day of gun season.   I will wait until mid-September to put in soybeans as part of my wheat/clover mix.

The little field that I was standing in when I took that picture of the blind will be planted in corn this year as long as the weather cooperates.   The grass is starting to take over the old clover that is there now (and what gave that "Beautiful eight" his last meal).   That is my signal that the nitrogen is getting high in the ground and it is time for more corn.          

Edited by wolc123

On 5/19/2020 at 5:53 PM, G-Man said:

Got box blind sided today that nephews helped start few weekends ago. Just windows and sealing up left now..Screenshot_20200519-175207_Gallery.thumb.jpg.cc4b1aa56a1c2a4949c29cc1e59a7f6e.jpgScreenshot_20200519-175152_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fbb04c851d7461e064ff283a8f6162eb.jpgScreenshot_20200519-175139_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d6b6c4d5636bceb2b44b38a2bfb8c00c.jpgScreenshot_20200519-175121_Gallery.thumb.jpg.eda70859eb6cc9cb346af32e6e15059f.jpg

That looks like weathered American Chestnut siding.  There is nothing that I know of that works better for killing deer from behind.  If anyone from WNY is interested in some, I can set them (Circa 1883) at reasonable cost.    

Edited by wolc123

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

That looks like weathered American Chestnut siding.  There is nothing that I know of that works better for killing deer from behind.  If anyone from WNY is interested in some, I can set them (Circa 1883) at reasonable cost.    

This was from a collapsed barn ,so it is possible , but most I've found from area is white pine and hemlock. 

13 hours ago, G-Man said:

Not for me,I dont hunt long enough or stay out long enough to use one. 1.5 to 3 hours at a time is all I'm good for.

I can stay out all day , if necessary . The problem with hunting from my little Condo with a bow is , with a miss or a pass through , I would never find the arrow even using a lighted nock . The grass is too high even when cut . I have already buried two awwows from that spot when practice shooting .

I was using a Hub Blind on the platform but my oldest son said he could do better . I gave him the platform dimensions and he pre-fabricated the Condo at his home . He brought it to the property in 5 sections and 3 of us assembled it . It was comfy during gun season . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

I can stay out all day , if necessary . The problem with hunting from my little Condo with a bow is , with a miss or a pass through , I would never find the arrow even using a lighted nock . The grass is too high even when cut . I have already buried two awwows from that spot when practice shooting .

I was using a Hub Blind on the platform but my oldest son said he could do better . I gave him the platform dimensions and he pre-fabricated the Condo at his home . He brought it to the property in 5 sections and 3 of us assembled it . It was comfy during gun season . 

I just never had a long sit in me. Just pattern them and go out when they should be coming through,  no reason to scent up the woods all day intake 2 or 3 weeks vacation to hunt, there is always tomorrow , season is so long..