New Hunter Ft Drum

Hunter4Life

Hey all,

little bit about me, I’ll be PCSing to Ft Drum in November and hoping to get some scouting in October before moving up. I’m originally from NJ and have hunted deer and pheasant there my entire life. I’m here looking at hunting Five Ponds/Adirondacks in the winter. I’ve never turkey hunted before, but I am willing to look for a mentor to show me how to hunt turkey. Would love to hear some feedback from you guys on your experiences and just all around gain more knowledge from more seasoned N.Y. hunters.

thanks guys, be safe out there.

Edited by Hunter4Life
  • Like 1

Low deer populations in those areas. All the space in the world though. My brother was stationed there and I have family in the Alex Bay area. I'll talk to them and send you a pm. Great fishing in the summer!

I appreciate it! Definitely looking forward to the fishing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!!
I'm not familiar with the area around Ft Drum, but if you ever get around to the Albany area, give me a shout.
Thanks for your service! Much respect to ya!

I appreciate it! If I find my way near Albany, I’ll definitely let you know

Welcome...there is some pretty good hunting close by in that area especially for small game like snowshoes, grouse, & woodcock during the migration. Lots of state land with fairly easy access but be prepared for some brutal winters. Fishing is pretty good also.

They tend to measure their snow in feet instead of inches.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Welcome...there is some pretty good hunting close by in that area especially for small game like snowshoes, grouse, & woodcock during the migration. Lots of state land with fairly easy access but be prepared for some brutal winters. Fishing is pretty good also.
 They tend to measure their snow in feet instead of inches.

I’ve heard it gets pretty brutally my buddy has a cabin in the Catskills and was sending me pictures of snow two weeks ago...

10 hours ago, Hunter4Life said:

I’ve heard it gets pretty brutally my buddy has a cabin in the Catskills and was sending me pictures of snow two weeks ago...

Ha. Ha. Catskills those southerners dont know snow..;)

One of my best snow storm tales was in Watertown.  Heading south I got on 81 15 miles or so north of watertown . By the time I got to Arsenal st I was leaving a trench behind me with a full size van..they closed the highway going south so I got turned around and started following the snowbank until I came to a stop sign(on the interstate).lol. I had went down an exit without knowing it..

Lots of land up here to hunt. Not great deer #s or trophy potential.  They can be found though.

Unless you are looking for the "big woods" I would venture more towards the smaller pieces of state land out of the park. There tends to be quite a bit more deer.. And yes the fishing is fantastic.

• Like 1

I have hunted that area for the last 16 years.   If you really want some venison, your best bet is to get yourself a ML and hunt that early week if you can.   I see about (6) antlerless deer per every antlered one up there, and antlerless are "fair game" on that week only, with a ML (No DMP's are available).    Turkey numbers fluctuate a bit and seem to be down a bit right now from the peak that I saw about 4 years ago.   That might be due to an increase in coyote numbers.   The fishing really is spectacular but there are consumption advisories that you should check out for women and children especially (probably because of mercury contamination / acid rain concerns), if you want to keep any for eating.