Eagle Soybeans

Well I've always wanted a food plot full of eagle soybeans but never had the plot to do it. Now that I have the plot i just ordered a couple bags!! Im so excited to try them even though im worried about over browsing because the plots isnt the biggest but ya never know unless you try and ill over seeding it with a fall blend anyway!!  Anyone plant eagle beans before?

I've planted beans before ,need lots.of acres or a way to keep deer out of it till they mature if your hoping for late season..

I went back to corn. Last.longer is left.alone most.of growing season, and plamt enough so it is there after.season to help.them bulk up.for winter..

• Like 1

Zag, I haven't planted eagle beans but I think the main benefit is that it makes pods. If you have a small plot and a good amount of deer which you seem to have, do you think your plants will have the time to make pods?

If not wti powerplant will produce amazing tonnage but it won't carry over into November (no pods). 

Good luck with the beans! 

10 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Zag, I haven't planted eagle beans but I think the main benefit is that it makes pods. If you have a small plot and a good amount of deer which you seem to have, do you think your plants will have the time to make pods?

If not wti powerplant will produce amazing tonnage but it won't carry over into November (no pods). 

Good luck with the beans! 

Lots of pods and they will continue to grow while browsed. It very well may not work but if i never try it, it’s always gonna be in my mind. My goals ate for them to utilize the plot as many months as possible!

E990EAAE-95DD-46E7-8D5D-863A8F9463BC.jpeg

• Like 3

First question is what your purpose of this planting? Strictly summer food, or summer and winter food source? 

Eagles are good because they are great for browse pressure. They are an indeterminate bean meaning they focus all of their energy on green growth and not bean pod production. Meaning lots and lots of greens and minimal pods. Determinate beans( Farmer AG beans) do the same but half way through their life cycle(roughly) they switch and focus its energy into producing pods as it matures.

Indeterminate beans are a higher maturity group  and really designed for lower warmer states with longer growing seasons. Most indeterminate beans, planted in NY would never mature and set whatever pods its designed to produce, as the growing season up here is too short..   If you want this to be a late season plot with pods as well as summer forage. I highly recommend mixing in some cheap local AG beans with it. With the many different types of beans and maturity groups out there Ranging from group 0 (being about 90 day maturity) thru group 9 (about 160 day maturity Bean). Anything higher than a group 5 will typically not fully mature and set bean pods for winter. 

My first few years of bean plantings i was let down as first heavy frost came... and killed everything i grew so well all summer long.   

Just wanted you to know so you dont get your hopes up as i did a few years at the beginning. 

Also If you can I would fence them off for the first month or so if you can. Woodchucks and deer will annihilate them once they emerge from the ground. 

A cheap 150$ Gallagher fence system is all you need. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

What do you need to plant a few acres of corn, GMan?  In a field that hasn't been disced or plowed or fertilized in about 100 years.  Nothing but hay.

Corn loves sod, sprayer with gly, a plow, disk, and a spreader for seed and fertilizer.  Spray , plow , disk , wait spray , spread seed and light disk in , wait till corn has 4 leaves and hit with 45,0,0 fertilizer.  If roundup ready corn can spray again when knee high to rid field of weeds.. if you have access to a 2 row planter with fertalize hopper it cuts down on disking and amount of fertalize used.

1 acre is wiped out by end of october, my goal is to improve herd health 1st ,not hunting. In spring of 94 I found 5 deer that were winter starved,  so i started winter feeding  was going thru 4 to 5 ton of corn a winter (after season to spring green up) then dec said no. Feeding so i started planting corn, 1 acre at 1st didnt do what i wanted, so i went to 2 , that made it to dec, then 5 ,and it last till feb march..most years. Since 5 is all in really want to plant i also plant 1 to 2 acre of brassica, between the two I can make food available till end of march.

The average body weight per age class has increased by 15 to 20 lbs since I've been doing this . Yearling doe  at over 100lbs, and yearlings bucks are 125 plus, ( these are from residential deer I have on cam year round we get travelers that are significantly smaller with smaller horns)

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

First question is what your purpose of this planting? Strictly summer food, or summer and winter food source? 

Eagles are good because they are great for browse pressure. They are an indeterminate bean meaning they focus all of their energy on green growth and not bean pod production. Meaning lots and lots of greens and minimal pods. Determinate beans( Farmer AG beans) do the same but half way through their life cycle(roughly) they switch and focus its energy into producing pods as it matures.

Indeterminate beans are a higher maturity group  and really designed for lower warmer states with longer growing seasons. Most indeterminate beans, planted in NY would never mature and set whatever pods its designed to produce, as the growing season up here is too short..   If you want this to be a late season plot with pods as well as summer forage. I highly recommend mixing in some cheap local AG beans with it. With the many different types of beans and maturity groups out there Ranging from group 0 (being about 90 day maturity) thru group 9 (about 160 day maturity Bean). Anything higher than a group 5 will typically not fully mature and set bean pods for winter. 

My first few years of bean plantings i was let down as first heavy frost came... and killed everything i grew so well all summer long.   

Just wanted you to know so you dont get your hopes up as i did a few years at the beginning. 

Also If you can I would fence them off for the first month or so if you can. Woodchucks and deer will annihilate them once they emerge from the ground. 

A cheap 150$ Gallagher fence system is all you need. 

All spot on, I'm hoping summer/winter. If it doesn’t make it I'm planning on overseeding late july early aug anyways similar to how g woods does it. Im hoping they will mature as id love to see pods while I'm hunting mid December!! Ill keep posting the progress here so others have an idea how it pans out!

• Like 2

Sounds good sir, I would say get them in the ground ASAP. Since temps are staying warm for awhile now.. the extra week or 2 can make or break you for pods. And as far as overseeding a fall blend into thick green beans(if they don't get annihilated) I've tried it, nothing will grow unless you crush and roll down the standing vegetation ( like grant does with his drill, knocks "competetion" down and makes soil contatc with the drill).. Or unless they're starting to turn yellow and mature.  

Soybeans are great weed suppressors once they are thick and established.. 

Looking forward to your journey.. your plot looks really good! if that soil is damp enough, i like spreading my soybeans into a young growing grain, rolling it down and spraying the green vegetation with gly. great for soybeans, they're pretty  easy to grow.. 

5 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Sounds good sir, I would say get them in the ground ASAP. Since temps are staying warm for awhile now.. the extra week or 2 can make or break you for pods. And as far as overseeding a fall blend into thick green beans(if they don't get annihilated) I've tried it, nothing will grow unless you crush and roll down the standing vegetation ( like grant does with his drill, knocks "competetion" down and makes soil contatc with the drill).. Or unless they're starting to turn yellow and mature.  

Soybeans are great weed suppressors once they are thick and established.. 

Looking forward to your journey.. your plot looks really good! if that soil is damp enough, i like spreading my soybeans into a young growing grain, rolling it down and spraying the green vegetation with gly. great for soybeans, they're pretty  easy to grow.. 

What if i dont gly and just disc the plot up and plant? 

12 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

It will be full of weeds, but if your beans are Roundup Ready.. thats ok. Spray the plot in 3 to 4 weeks when soybean plants are 6" tall. 

Ok good option too, i think they are round up ready, ill db check 

• Like 1

Well im just about done, yesterday we put down 1500 lb of lime then went to work on a smaller spot. This am we got the disc mounted to the tractor and got disking. We ended up disking both directions of the plot then spread the seed and then a lite disc over that followed by then driving the 4wheeler over it to compact and flatten the area. Were 3/4 done, the one end was still wet so were gonna hit that this coming weekend. We were about most the way thru the first round of discing when a fawn jumped up right in front of the tractor and let out a long bbbaaaaahhhhhhhhh. Luckily it moved and i had walked most of the plot while my dad was disking, picking up rocks and sticks, so after that i walked the rest to make sure nothing else was in it and i found mu first plot shed. 

70E8D248-8684-49D8-8881-5A3E86C8E404.jpeg

77E5C443-6B76-4E8E-BABD-80957319EF04.jpeg

2A953BAA-22C8-4BAC-B352-73D5022D9496.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, beagler said:

Broadcast and then dragged the best I can.  Some seeds are not fully covered but that’s all I could do for now. 

Same with me, i dont have a cultipacker so j just tried my best driving over to flatten the ground and hope for good seed to soil contact. Thanks for sharing It will be fun to compare.

• Like 1

Doing the same here today 5 acres of soybeans planted today.  Broadcasting them with 4 wheeler. A few more acres to go then I am done.  Wish I had a drill or planter but have had very good success with broadcasting soybeans previously this pic is from beans broadcast last year in mid June and sprayed w roundup around 4th of July.  

EABF1958-D320-4674-9AD0-C330D3604527.jpeg

• Like 1