Eagle Soybeans

2 hours ago, Lomax said:

Doing the same here today 5 acres of soybeans planted today.  Broadcasting them with 4 wheeler. A few more acres to go then I am done.  Wish I had a drill or planter but have had very good success with broadcasting soybeans previously this pic is from beans broadcast last year in mid June and sprayed w roundup around 4th of July.  

EABF1958-D320-4674-9AD0-C330D3604527.jpeg

Ag beans did you plant?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I went to go check on the soybeans,  WOW!!!!

I had a camera up and have over 9000 photos.

But, the deer and turkey ate everything down to about 2 inches.

So my idea is to disc it and plant brassica with turnips in about 2 weeks.

Any info or recommendation that would be great. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beagler said:

LOL - join the club. You need a super fence or electric...or enough to survive foraging. We had a fence with repel spray up and lost 1.5 acres of beans in about a full week. They went through the fence to get to them. Beans are off the list this year for us; but we may try again next year. We planted a fall blend of turnips, radish, rape, and some wheat and rye mixed in. It came out well and did its job.

• Like 1

Don’t know anything about food plots or farming , but the farm I hunt generally puts in 1,000 acres or so of beans . Mostly no till beans, deer are in it till, they’re cut , then they pick through the dirt for remains , although much less often .

I spent half my hunts along bean fields for 30 some years . Unfortunately I deleted most of my photos through the years .

Last pic is always a sad day !

D5B9AD26-DCB5-4C6F-BBC7-0497F5E8F3A8.thumb.png.98de2934eded8decb3d8fd6d3b3bd835.png

E8AC60BC-1B95-46A6-975F-720B92D54F35.png

E4938B73-29CF-410B-AA91-EFAA7CC7CE13.png

Edited by Nomad

13 hours ago, beagler said:

You have witnessed the power of fresh sprouting soybeans to draw in deer from miles around.  I am not aware of any plot that draws them in better than young soybeans (pods are overrated).   Since climate change and late frosts, you can have usually get that "early" draw thru most of bow season.   To do that, you got to hold off until about September to plant.  I have been doing that the last few years and it works pretty good.  I mix the soybeans with wheat and white clover.  Just get the plot worked up and broadcast the soybeans and wheat, then cultipack.   Next, broadcast the white clover and cultipack again (those tiny seeds dont like to be pushed in that deep).   The soybeans provide the early drawing power, and then the wheat holds the deer on the plots for late-season action.  The wheat is mowed off the following spring, and then the white clover takes over and provides a few more years of attraction.

Your brassica/turnip idea in a few weeks ain't bad, but I would also get some more soybeans, along with some wheat and white clover and get some of that in from late August to early September.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Wolc, that's great info on the beans. 

Beagler, that's awesome on the amount of deer you have visiting. I don't know what your whole setup is but deer will definitely stick in the area for a follow up plot. Did you have a lot of daytime pictures? Sorry if I missed post on the subject. 

• 2 months later...