SUNY Cortland - nearby hunting

Big Indian

Hello All, 

First a bit of bragging, my daughter got accepted to SUNY Cortland and we couldn’t be prouder. it was her # 1 choice. 

Hopefully, we’ll be back to normal soon and she’ll start there in August.

Does anyone have any intel on the nearby state land. I was looking at  the DEC map and saw a few places Taylor Valley,  Kennedy State Forest,  Hoxie George, Baker Schoolhouse, and a few others. if anyone could give info on any of these or other places, I’d appreciate it. Not looking to spot steal, just some info on access Hunting pressure, etc.

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

It has been a number of years since I have actively hunted the area, but there is quite a bit of state land nearby. Just to the west near the south end of Skaneateles Lake is Great Bear Swamp. Further north east of Tully and Truxton is Morgan Hill State forest, which is quite large wooded hills. I have no doubt there is alot more land closer in, but Morgan and Great bear are probably only 20 to 30 minutes away.

• 2 months later...

Cornell University is not far away at all and they have some of their land open to hunters,  you have to register and get approved ( its free though). My father is actually working in SUNY Cortland dorms right now renovating them.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

Can get it done in any of those forests. Hunt the hottest freshest sign and dont be afraid to move in on them. Watch the hunting public videos and be aggressive. State land has realitvly low pressure but Clowns walk all over, so you have to hunt it like your gonna throw it away afterwards and try another setup in another location. Early season use onyx or.huntsrand and hunt the ag thats closest to harvest. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 4:52 PM, bfahy13 said:

Congrats. My sister in law goes there and I am also considering trying to hunt up there.

Did you notice the fenced in deer pen they have down by the field? A few nice deer, and some nice fish in the pond too. 

I’ve eyed up that spot by the field more than once...

On 5/20/2020 at 8:30 PM, Big Indian said:

First a bit of bragging, my daughter got accepted to SUNY Cortland and we couldn’t be prouder. it was her # 1 choice. 

Congratulations to you and your daughter! I wish her much success! I found myself enrolled at SUNY Cortland as a freshman way, way back in the day but was not ready for the college experience at the time. They didn't invite me back for a sophomore year lol. I'm sure her experience there will be more productive than mine. FWIW my oldest left last Friday to start college and I was very happy and proud to see him on his way. Exciting times as a parent . Once again congratulations!

On 8/20/2020 at 4:52 PM, bfahy13 said:

Did you notice the fenced in deer pen they have down by the field? A few nice deer, and some nice fish in the pond too. 

I'm not sure if we're thinking the same spot but . . .  While enrolled as a freshman there in '87 there was a girl from my hometown also enrolled there. She was a senior and had somehow earned the privilege to live in this special small dorm at the bottom of the hill. She asked me for a ride back home one time, had to be first semester around Thanksgiving break. I just remember being in her apartment waiting for her to gather her stuff, looking out her kitchen window and seeing deer behind this fence 30 yds away across the lawn. A couple does popped out and then just an absolute slob buck. I was fairly inexperienced hunter at the time but just remember seeing that buck and thinking holy s@#$! I'd never seen anything that big, alive and on the hoof. 

18 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Waterworks, its the city water plant. It is a relatively large facility and I hear of some nice sheds found on the property every year. The deer have deformed hooves and look unhealthy at times.

Yes, that's it Some decent trout in the dammed off river too. I recently read that although the deer appear to be on the less healthy side, the dec did a study and was very surprised at the overall health of the herd. Not sure how accurate this was, as the bucks are huge but skinny and walk funny. 

19 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Waterworks, its the city water plant. It is a relatively large facility and I hear of some nice sheds found on the property every year. The deer have deformed hooves and look unhealthy at times.

Gotcha. Makes sense I guess. I wonder if they do any culling inside the fence? just assuming they'd have to.