Fox den

Steuben Jerry

This is 60 yards from our bedroom window. It’s almost an annual event since before we moved here in ‘08. They weren’t born there as I put a cam on the den site over the winter, and as of a week ago, there was no activity. So momma moved them there which they will do. Pics are from my Nikon but it was hard to get a crisp focus with all the clutter near the den, especially at full zoom. I’ll pull the t-cam card when I can do it without disturbing them.

0348C8A3-5A63-4713-9EE4-89B41E2ED015.jpeg

F5B14495-716F-4CBB-BAAB-42DE243942CD.jpeg

5C198097-5BCB-4DAF-AC76-623CCE828089.jpeg

3C06A767-D22A-4073-851E-73CA43AB5B78.jpeg

• Like 15

Snuck up and pulled the card that’s 15 feet from the den. They all scurried in the den as soon as I stepped into the woods at 40 yds. 3600 pics and the card filled up last Thursday. Four kits, one runt (not in these pics) that’s much smaller than the others and mostly stays in one of the holes. The last pic is a different cam watching the coop. The eyes are our cat standing guard.

Bummer, found a torn apart fawn next to the den. Also looks like Mommy brought back a small dead fisher. Circle of life. That middle pic has one gnawing on the fisher.

We’ve been hanging on the deck this evening cooking and enjoying a couple of cold ones watching them alternately sleep in the sun or get up and have small bursts of playing. 70 yds away.

E48C0A38-9C48-421A-891C-2A7953394F52.jpeg

399B3C61-8893-4D5D-BFFE-B870437D0331.jpeg

2ACE9061-AF80-4B74-9772-1DDA3F497F74.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 5

An adult fox could certainly kill a tiny, newborn fawn,  but he fawn remains could very well  be from a roadkill or other source...

For sure  , red foxes are not a significant predator of whitetail fawns...Coyotes and black bears  ?? That's a different  subject....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

An adult fox could certainly kill a tiny, newborn fawn,  but he fawn remains could very well  be from a roadkill or other source...

For sure  , red foxes are not a significant predator of whitetail fawns...Coyotes and black bears  ?? That's a different  subject....

I was surprised at the fisher. When I walked up to it it was just several large pieces of the pelt with jet black hair. I’ve got a few pics that show one of them dragging the carcass with the unmistakeable long tail.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I was surprised at the fisher. When I walked up to it it was just several large pieces of the pelt with jet black hair. I’ve got a few pics that show one of them dragging the carcass with the unmistakeable long tail.

Still, just because Momma brought it home,  doesn't mean that she killed it....

• Like 2