2 things I haven't seen in a while And was unexpected

Saw a garage/yard sale today.  Thats gotta mean pandemic is over.  They even had a bunch of fish poles but I didn't stop.  It was surprising to see one.

Also saw a pickup with a gun rack in the rear window with two shotguns in it.  Haven't seen one of those in forever.  I used to have one 30 years ago in my pickup.  

And no they weren't at the same place.  Lol 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Definitely can't say I've seen a rear window gun rack in a long time.  I remember trucks with them in the school parking lot. 

It just struck me I haven't seen that in years. Like a hanging deer or one on a car.  Haven't seen that in years either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It just struck me I haven't seen that in years. Like a hanging deer or one on a car.  Haven't seen that in years either.

Ya, used to see deer strapped to the hood or trunk of a car, or tailgate open. No more. 

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Saw a garage/yard sale today.  Thats gotta mean pandemic is over.  They even had a bunch of fish poles but I didn't stop.  It was surprising to see one.

Also saw a pickup with a gun rack in the rear window with two shotguns in it.  Haven't seen one of those in forever.  I used to have one 30 years ago in my pickup.  

And no they weren't at the same place.  Lol 

I was young and dumb at one time. Had a gun rack in the back window of my Ford F150. Now this goes back 35 years. I'm headed up to our camp in Roscoe with my girlfriend. I have two shotguns in the rack on the Long Island Expressway. You can see the guns clear as day. I'm about to get to the NYC limits and a guy is flashing his lights at me. He pulls up along the side and yells to us I'm a  off duty cop and they aint going to take to kindly going through the city with those guns in the window. I thanked him pulled over and put them behind the seat. Never did that again! lol

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, First-light said:

I was young and dumb at one time. Had a gun rack in the back window of my Ford F150. Now this goes back 35 years. I'm headed up to our camp in Roscoe with my girlfriend. I have two shotguns in the rack on the Long Island Expressway. You can see the guns clear as day. I'm about to get to the NYC limits and a guy is flashing his lights at me. He pulls up along the side and yells to us I'm a  off duty cop and they aint going to take to kindly going through the city with those guns in the window. I thanked him pulled over and put them behind the seat. Never did that again! lol

I did the same thing going into Massachusetts long ago.  I was a few miles in, before I realized.  Stopped really quick and stuck the guns behind the seat.  

• Like 1

Many gun racks in my youth here often had a bat or axe handle off season plus ,shotgun in season .

Again pic won’t load , my rack hangs off the front seat headrests , not in view . Really like it frees up the rear seat .

Edited by Nomad

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I never understood the guns in the back window , why does a shotgun or rifle need to be that accessible ? 

Back in the day pick ups were one bench seat , the only place for, long guns were in the rack in the rear windshield ,or the bed I guess in a case ,.

13 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I never understood the guns in the back window , why does a shotgun or rifle need to be that accessible ? 

I know growing up alot of older farmers had them in there.  My one good friends uncle had his 22 hornet for chucks/coyotes and his 12 gauge for deer.  They owned most of the road so if he ran home quick and had a chance he filled his tag quick or knocked a chuck down.

16 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Back in the day pick ups were one bench seat , the only place for, long guns were in the rack in the rear windshield ,or the bed I guess in a case ,.

Thats true ,the fuel tank was behind the seat .

33 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Back then we were free men and woman and guns weren't considered evil, just tools. 

We didn't lock our doors, or need car alarms.

With the liberal pussy's running the state now, a Dildo rack is the latest craze.

SJC

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shoots100 said:

Back then we were free men and woman and guns weren't considered evil, just tools. 

We didn't lock our doors, or need car alarms.

With the liberal pussy's running the state now, a Dildo rack is the latest craze.

SJC

Right I never locked my doors or rolled the windows up !

How many times did you reach though an open car window to shut off the headlights of a parked car when they unknowingly left them on ? It was common practice.

Lately I’ve come to leaving my windows down and truck unlocked , just a flashback to the old days .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Had one in my first truck.  1980 GMC cutstom deluxe, former county truck.  2 bench seats, slept 6 comfortably.  God I loved that truck.  Also great backseat when you're 17!

I had one in my 1979 GMC "Heavy-half".  I miss that truck also (my first one). I bought it used from my dad, who worked in the factory that made the air-conditioners for them.   It was a one-year-old "company-truck" when he got it.  The air-conditioner was the only factory option that it had, and man did it have cooling power.  I think I could freeze ice in the summer, if I wanted to in that little cab, with the cooling system that was the same one that they used in the big Suburbans.   It sure felt great, after a hard day of physical labor unloading hay up in the loft in the summer, or landscaping on my first "real" job.

Someday, I will try to scan the photo I have of me standing in the bed, holding up my first buck.  My grandmother took the picture the morning I dragged it up from out back.  I am wearing my grandad's old Woolrich "Buffalo-plaid" outfit, and his old Ithaca model 37, with 1-1/2 power Weaver scope is clearly visible up on the gun-rack.   

In 40 years of driving, I have had nothing but GM trucks.  To this day, none has left me stranded or required a tow.  They all had the 5.7 (350 cu in. engine, except the last two (both 2000, 3/4 tons and still in service) that have the 6.0 liter.  I bought all of them new, except for that first one and the last one.    The one that I drive now is the first extended cab.  It is nice for hauling the family around, but I much prefer the looks of the standard cab models.  

I gave my last one of those (a 4-wheel drive) to my father-in law.  He uses it as a work vehicle around his  Adirondack retirement home (mostly for snowplowing about 5 miles of camp roads), but I still get to use it when I am up there hunting.   With plenty of time on his hands, he has fixed it all up and taken care of most of the rust issues which had accumulated from almost twenty WNY winters.  

The 2000, 2-wheel drive, that I am running now, was his brother-in-laws.   It was a Florida truck, so it is also corrosion-free.  It is the first 2-wheel drive I have had since that first 1979 GMC.  I don't miss 4-wheel drive at all with the mild winters we have had lately.   In between, I had an 88 4wd, standard-box 1/2 ton, a 92 4wd short-box 1/2 ton, and a 95 4wd short-box 1/2 ton.  I don't miss any of those.      

Edited by wolc123