Weed Eater recs

Well after 20+ years of use my gas weed eater is looking to retire. I am looking to replace and am all over the board. I trim every couple of mows and have a good 45 minutes of trimming each time. I have also used the eater to clear trails occasionally. 

Do I want to stick with gas? Probably just due to I am sure I won't get 20 years out of batteries.

I have seen some new combo units that can swap attachments. A lawn broom would be a sweet add on. Con is most items work better for their intended purpose and combo units tend to disappoint. 

Throw me some input so I don't miss important points in my search!!

Edited by Fletch

We run Stihl, Redmax, and Husqvarna at work, Parks system.  I would say just get a straight shaft, versus the curved(go ahead pervs), and you will be fine.  I personally like Stihl, not impressed with Redmax, and Husqvarna I don’t like the bearing tap head, but that’s because of my prosthetic holding the weedwhacker, etc.  

we have a Stihl combo unit with hedge trimmer/paddle yard broom/weedwhacker....works fine.

• Like 2

I have 3 Stihls- one  I use around the house-that’s -18 years old. I have a FS 250-that’s a brunch cutter with bicycle handle bars. Ive had that 10 years. I also have a Kombi tool with the power paddle, pole saw and trimmer attachment.   Very happy with all of them.

I have a Kombi unit that I use with a blade on it to trim under horse fencing.  Lots of power.  I use the small chain saw attachment often too.  It comes with the string trimmer head, but I hardly ever use that.  I have another Stihl at camp that I use 2 or 3 times a year, always starts right up.  Can’t go wrong with Stihl! 

Lotsa good input. Keep it coming. I run an Echo for my bigger chainsaw and have been very happy with it. I need to research the Kombi and Tanaka as I’m not familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

My Echo has been superb for 15 years, damn that’s pretty good. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

25cc Echo here.  Has the trimmer, saw and edging heads.  Works great.   I have cut lots of trails with that thing.   The saw head is awesome for 3” or under trees. 

I have owned quite a few different kinds and my Echo 225 straight shaft has been the best and most dependable by far. Starts every time, runs like a top, very low maintenance,  and will cut just about anything.

• Like 1

I have two Stihl trimmers. They fire up fast every time for years now. My smaller one is around 18 years old and still works hard. Bought the bicycle handled one a couple of years ago for better comfort on some larger areas.

Also have a Stihl chainsaw (15 yrs old) and a blower (10 years old). Everything is super reliable and heavy duty. I wouldn't consider another brand.

• Like 2

The older Stihl and echo are NOT the same as those sold today.  Carbs are not serviceable.  I've got a old Stihl combo with a hedge trimmer head on it. Hasn't been run in 15+ yrs.  Diagram was still good and cleaned the jets.  Runs like new.   

Redmax high end has serviceable cards(at least they did a couple yrs ago) Stihl doesn't.  If it's running like shit, the only option is a new carb that cost 1/2 of the original cost of the trimmer, if not more.   

I'm horrible at winterizing my handhelds.  The only ones that start every spring with old gas are my redmax.  Going on 4 yrs on redmax trimmers ( one where the spark plugs wire is covered, and one that's not).  Keep getting bit by the one that's not covered.  Newer Stihl won't run, and need new carbs. 

My old as hell Stihl combi is Stihl running tho. 

Edited by mowin

The older Stihl and echo are NOT the same as those sold today.  Carbs are not serviceable.  I've got a old Stihl combo with a hedge trimmer head on it. Hasn't been run in 15+ yrs.  Diagram was still good and cleaned the jets.  Runs like new.   
Redmax high end has serviceable cards(at least they did a couple yrs ago) Stihl doesn't.  If it's running like shit, the only option is a new carb that cost 1/2 of the original cost of the trimmer, if not more.   
I'm horrible at winterizing my handhelds.  The only ones that start every spring with old gas are my redmax.  Going on 4 yrs on redmax trimmers ( one where the spark plugs wire is covered, and one that's not).  Keep getting bit by the one that's not covered.  Newer Stihl won't run, and need new carbs. 
My old as hell Stihl combi is Stihl running tho. 
What type of gas do you use?

I have had alot of luck running ethanol free in my smaller stuff like trimmer blower and generator.
Alot of guys just run regular has and use the additive.

Just wondering your thoughts?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

What type of gas do you use?

I have had alot of luck running ethanol free in my smaller stuff like trimmer blower and generator.
Alot of guys just run regular has and use the additive.

Just wondering your thoughts?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I run 92 octane ethanol free in all my handhelds.  In a pinch, I've run 87 and I can definitely tell the difference.  

I used to have a Troy Built that had an option of a cutting head for smallish brush.  I weed whack around a pond and it did fairly well.  Two years ago I bought a 4 cycle Husky from the local Lowe's.  So much better performance and better design.  I can't speak to longevity, the Troy Built was also 4 cycle and lasted about 8 years.  The Husky does not have the option of a cutting head as far as I know but I have been completely satisfied so far. YRMV.

• Like 1

Husqvarna battery operated one for me !  Non commercial use, home and I cut my range  2 or 3 times a year , which is 90 yards by 5 or 6 yards and those weeds grow pretty tall before I cut them .

Id never go back to gas ,starts at the press of a button, it’s quiet , it doesn’t get hot , or vibrate . 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the Echo combo unit, every attachment works great.  I have the straight string trimmer, the saw blade for larger stuff, the power broom for yard cleanup and the pole saw.  If you end up with one of these, make sure you get the extension for the pole saw, it's a nice add on for reaching the really high stuff.

I have had a Cub Cadet for about 6 years . I changed the head on it as I grew tired of the head where you wind the string . Bought the 8" chain saw attachment fot it . That works fairly well .

Bought a Ryobi power head  a couple years ago . Bought the straight hedge trimmer attachment and another hedge trimmer head that adjusts the angle . I usually get some various store charge cards for various birthdays , Christmas , etc so I generally buy tools with them .