Memorial Day

Swamp_bucks

I know some people in this country forget what this weekend represents.  It means a lot to my family and was made sure I new what it was for growing up and my kids know as well. 

My father lost one of his brothers in Vietnam when my dad was only 10.  So every year we lay a wreath at his grave stone in our little way to thank him.  I have a long list of military members in my family and am truly honored to say they are family.

Remember those that have lost their lives for us to have the freedoms we have.  Take the time to thank service members current and former when you still have a chance to thank them. 

Today we will be having a going away party for one of my closet friends.  He will be deploying to Afghanistan for a year.  He heads out for training tomorrow morning at 2am for a month before he goes over.   

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE

memorial-day-images.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I served during Vietnam although I was never in a combat zone....

I lost several of my classmates in that war, including one of my very best friends...I was a pallbearer at his funeral just one month before I reported for active duty in the Navy....He was five months shy of his 21st  birthday when he was KIA  by small arms fire while walking point for a patrol in  March of 1971....  I had just turned 21 and it was the first time I had cried since I was 12....

• Like 6

Went to cemetery  yesterday cleaned around my grandparents  headstones.  Each got new flowers and a flag . Between my wife and I we hit  4 cemeteries  in  2 states and 2 counties . Do it every year ... spring and fall.

It is a shame so many unattended  graves these days . 

Give thanks ! Remember  those that gave all.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Went to cemetery  yesterday cleaned around my grandparents  headstones.  Each got new flowers and a flag . Between my wife and I we hit  4 cemeteries  in  2 states and 2 counties . Do it every year ... spring and fall.

It is a shame so many unattended  graves these days . 

Give thanks ! Remember  those that gave all.

I don't know why, but I cannot visit my mom and dad's(WWII purple hart)  resting place.  I just don't want there resting place to be my final memory of them.  Yes I was present when laid to rest, but I honestly can't remember what the site looks like. I think I blocked it from my memory.  Astonishingly how different some grieve. 

I was lucky . I served active duty from 1959-1963 . I got my final discharge papers May of 1965 when things were starting to tweak in Laos and Viet Nam . The closest I came to any combat was during the Cuban Mountout during the Missile Crisis . We were aboard ship ready to make landings on Cuba . President Kennedy handled the matter quite well and we returned to Onslow Beach , North Carolina . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1