Saddle Hunting

BKhunter

Hey All,

Was curious how many of you use saddles? Been taking a look but not sure if I should dive in seems like from what I see it should be used for short sits since to me it looks like you’re standing the whole time with no option to sit and take a load off. Curious to hear how you all like them and what the pros and cons are to you.

BK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, BKhunter said:

Hey All,

Was curious how many of you use saddles? Been taking a look but not sure if I should dive in seems like from what I see it should be used for short sits since to me it looks like you’re standing the whole time with no option to sit and take a load off. Curious to hear how you all like them and what the pros and cons are to you.

BK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are great episodes on YouTube. I'm not a full time bow hunter so I'm not sure I will invest this year but I think for me it would be another tool for hunting depending on weather, the property and conditions. 

Upstate at my cabin I would choose climber but for state land, swamps, and ability to change locations quickly and quietly a saddle would be great.

I have the same concern as far as comfort in a saddle. Seems like a mobile system but for an all day sit my climber seems like a better choice 

Personally, I'm more comfortable in the saddle than in my climber.  This past year, I fell asleep "hugging" the tree while in my saddle.  My bridge had me tied tight onto the tree, so there was no fear of falling, because I couldn't.  I laid my arms across my bridge and laid my head into them.  Out...  I literally can't fall unless I'm actively trying to flip myself over.  For the record, I'm not fond of heights, and I feel "locked in" while in the saddle. 

I also credit a run and gun doe kill on public this year to the saddle.  I was able scout and then set up in a crooked tree, which was the tree I needed to be in.  My climber would not have gotten me in that tree, nor any other in the immediate area.  I would not have been in range for the shot if I brought the climber that day.  I probably could have set up with a smaller hanging stand.

I don't have any experience with some of the larger climbers like the Summits.  I have a Lone Wolf hand climber which is super-light and easily pack-able.  It's a great option if you know the tree you're going to get in.  I often don't have the time to scout like that.  The tree selection mandates presented by my climber (it'll be the same with any climber) pushed me to invest in a saddle.  It hurt the wallet, 'cause it ain't cheap, but I'm glad I did.  I will also say that a few of my favorite hunts have been #fromtheground  I really like that challenge and "ease" of set up.

There's a few topic threads on here on saddles, and you'll get a wide variety of opinions.  Search them up, and sort through.  I'm sorta infrequent on here during seasons other than the fall 'cause of the seasonal nature of my work, but I'm happy to answer any other questions if you want to post 'em up, or send me a message.

Good luck!

Edited by Rebel Darling
Grammar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

Personally, I'm more comfortable in the saddle than in my climber.  This past year, I fell asleep "hugging" the tree while in my saddle.  My bridge had me tied tight onto the tree, so there was no fear of falling, because I couldn't.  I laid my arms across my bridge and laid my head into them.  Out...  I literally can't fall unless I'm actively trying to flip myself over.  For the record, I'm not fond of heights, and I feel "locked in" while in the saddle. 

I also credit a run and gun doe kill on public this year to the saddle.  I was able scout and then set up in a crooked tree, which was the tree I needed to be in.  My climber would not have gotten me in that tree, nor any other in the immediate area.  I would not have been in range for the shot if I brought the climber that day.  I probably could have set up with a smaller hanging stand.

I don't have any experience with some of the larger climbers like the Summits.  I have a Lone Wolf hand climber which is super-light and easily pack-able.  It's a great option if you know the tree you're going to get in.  I often don't have the time to scout like that.  The tree selection mandates presented by my climber (it'll be the same with any climber) pushed me to invest in a saddle.  It hurt the wallet, 'cause it ain't cheap, but I'm glad I did.  I will also say that a few of my favorite hunts have been #fromtheground  I really like that challenge and "ease" of set up.

There's a few topic threads on here on saddles, and you'll get a wide variety of opinions.  Search them up, and sort through.  I'm sorta infrequent on here during seasons other than the fall 'cause of the seasonal nature of my work, but I'm happy to answer any other questions if you want to post 'em up, or send me a message.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! What system are you running as your saddle set up, and how long do you typically sit/stand in the tree when you hunt with this set up?

13 hours ago, BKhunter said:

Thanks for the feedback! What system are you running as your saddle set up, and how long do you typically sit/stand in the tree when you hunt with this set up?

You bet!

I have the Tethrd Mantis saddle, and their Predator Platform.  I also picked up their tree tether and their lineman's belt, as well as one of their haulers (gear sack).  I didn't need to buy their tree tether, nor the lineman's belt.  I realized that quickly.  Other linemans ropes I had on hand would have done the job.

I already had Lone Wolf climbing sticks for a hanging stand I have.  They are the most difficult part of the hauling in.  They're weighty (as sticks go), and long.  Hope to have a different option in the next couple of years, but I did get a decent set-up going with a new pack and compression straps.

I've not been fatigued in the saddle, but I haven't sat an all-day sit with it.  Longest I was in was about 6 or 6.5 hours early in bow season.  Killed a deer and hauled out without feeling strained, nor pained.  I might pick up a pair of light knee-pads so I can "kneel" against the tree with more comfort, but that's pretty much it.

Given the range of motion I can get out of the set-up, I imagine I could get an all day sit out of one no-problem.  I can stand, sit, hang, side-saddle the tree, hug the tree, twist around for stretching (and shots!), etc.  On all-day sits, though, my wife, and son (& one on the way!) typically have different ideas on how I should spend my time, so doubt I'll be able to test that out this year.  Ha...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

You bet!

I have the Tethrd Mantis saddle, and their Predator Platform.  I also picked up their tree tether and their lineman's belt, as well as one of their haulers (gear sack).  I didn't need to buy their tree tether, nor the lineman's belt.  I realized that quickly.  Other linemans ropes I had on hand would have done the job.

I already had Lone Wolf climbing sticks for a hanging stand I have.  They are the most difficult part of the hauling in.  They're weighty (as sticks go), and long.  Hope to have a different option in the next couple of years, but I did get a decent set-up going with a new pack and compression straps.

I've not been fatigued in the saddle, but I haven't sat an all-day sit with it.  Longest I was in was about 6 or 6.5 hours early in bow season.  Killed a deer and hauled out without feeling strained, nor pained.  I might pick up a pair of light knee-pads so I can "kneel" against the tree with more comfort, but that's pretty much it.

Given the range of motion I can get out of the set-up, I imagine I could get an all day sit out of one no-problem.  I can stand, sit, hang, side-saddle the tree, hug the tree, twist around for stretching (and shots!), etc.  On all-day sits, though, my wife, and son (& one on the way!) typically have different ideas on how I should spend my time, so doubt I'll be able to test that out this year.  Ha...

LOL this is helpful. I have my first on the way this September and am in full panic mode how hunting will fit in this year. Been scouting public land in Long Island in the hopes I can get some short morning and afternoon sits in this year.

• Like 1

I was cornering the market with innovative "hammock hunting", but put the project on hold, I figured I'd either fall asleep and wake up in the dark, or shoot myself in the foot. 

• Like 1

I don't care for heights but I do find a hammock-style, on the ground, tree seat very comfortable, as long as it is not raining.   I do have a hoss, but no saddle:

450116589_barnhorse.thumb.jpeg.02f9dec9a1a973241190717b022d7e77.jpeg

Wolc I need a tour of that barn, I’ve gone past a few times it’s a beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Wolc I need a tour of that barn, I’ve gone past a few times it’s a beauty

Stop over sometime.  Speaking of horses, I found a shoe, while planting corn today, in the field next to the creek.  I hung it on that concrete one.   It had to have been out there since at least 1950.  That was the year my grandad bought his first tractor and sold his last team.   They never had any saddles back then either, just harnesses and collars.   

• Like 1

Stop over sometime.  Speaking of horses, I found a shoe, while planting corn today, in the field next to the creek.  I hung it on that concrete one.   It had to have been out there since at least 1950.  That was the year my grandad bought his first tractor and sold his last team.   They never had any saddles back then either, just harnesses and collars.   

I will. I also found a horseshoe while rebuilding my attic

On 5/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, BKhunter said:

LOL this is helpful. I have my first on the way this September and am in full panic mode how hunting will fit in this year. Been scouting public land in Long Island in the hopes I can get some short morning and afternoon sits in this year.

Congrats on the family addition!  Rest up now, fella.  Ha.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend jumping on NY saddle hunter facebook and seeing if there's anyone around you that could let you see their setup.  I seem to recall alot of guys on there being from downstate.  I hunted last year from the saddle with just a ring of steps on public.  Liked it alot and upgraded most of my equipment this year.  Only sat one hang on stand last year and this year I wont be putting any out on public.

I got the setup this spring and have been practicing climbing and hanging in general. I think it is very comfortable but have not sat all day in one. I have the tethrd phantom and platform,and i use the DRT method for climbing or my platform with two aiders. Keep moving the platform up until i am at hunting height. It took no time to get comfortable in the saddle and feel safe. The climbing methods are what will take practice if you are new to all of it. Saddlehunter.com is a great forum,lots of info there.

It is not cheap to get into,but my whole setup only weighs about 8.5#. 

I am looking forward to hunting a bunch of state land close to me this year. 

I was not too terribly comfortable in my summit climber for an all day sit because my arms were not in a great position. Either a little hunched  up from the frame and not enough room to put inside the frame.

I finally watched a video on tree saddles and I've been hunting like that out of treestand for years. Use a old waist belt safety harness. Just need a fold up.seat on your hang on stand. Never cared for new safety harnesses that confine the way you move attaching high,( yes I know the safety factor)  I also use rectangular stands the have corners close to trees so you can get close and look around trunk.  Seems logical step in hunting but I'm still not.fan of climbing linemans style.

I finally watched a video on tree saddles and I've been hunting like that out of treestand for years. Use a old waist belt safety harness. Just need a fold up.seat on your hang on stand. Never cared for new safety harnesses that confine the way you move attaching high,( yes I know the safety factor)  I also use rectangular stands the have corners close to trees so you can get close and look around trunk.  Seems logical step in hunting but I'm still not.fan of climbing linemans style.

You should get a rock climbing harness and ditch that old waste belt