Laptops? School me please.

I'm with Jeremy....find out what her program recommends. Will she be using Microsoft programs or Google programs? May be away to get away with a few hundred dollar laptop with a fast processor that has all the bells and whistles.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Whenever I or relatives need a new laptop I go to Dell Refurbished --->https://www.dellrefurbished.com/ 

What Dell does is lease Laptop's to small / mid sized companies for 2-3 years and then after the lease is over they take them back - refurbish them and re-load Windows and sell them at decent ( cheaper than new ) prices !

One thing we did was buy them at the computer store on UB’s campus , that way any issue they could go right there to resolve it  . They loaded all,the UB stuff on it and so on .

Funny story ,there was an issue which my daughter had no luck resolving, so I stepped up . They ended up trying to have me arrested , which didn’t work , and they fixed the issue once they looked into it and saw I was right . Which I made them repeat ,to me twice ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

One thing we did was buy them at the computer store on UB’s campus , that way any issue they could go right there to resolve it  . They loaded all,the UB stuff on it and so on .

Funny story ,there was an issue which my daughter had no luck resolving, so I stepped up . They ended up trying to have me arrested , which didn’t work , and they fixed the issue once they looked into it and saw I was right . Which I made them repeat ,to me twice ....

Arrested !? Sounds like you left out some details of the story LOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

If she is only writing papers then a mac is not needed . My wife got a bachelors and master's with a few hundred dollar laptop. Find out if she has specific computer programs if any she will need to run. 

Yeah, this.  Unless it's something specific a cheap Dell or something in that vein is a good option.

• Like 1

Just bought one for my stepbrats bday- college bachelor grad. She's starting her master's in the fall.  We got her a HP.  She uses Google doc's which is free.  Some colleges might require a certain Microsoft program, which isn't free. 

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Arrested !? Sounds like you left out some details of the story LOL.

Laptop messed up daughter got nowhere , I called them , kid said files were corrupted at time of instillation, I said well you installed them . He said we have no control once the laptop leaves here, I said but you said they were corrupted at time of installation , not after it left .

We went round and round , I’m thinking if the store was local I be in it making a scene , to which I said ,it’s a good thing your 90 miles away , thinking I’d be making a stink in the store .

Two minutes later the manger called me and said I threatened his employee and they filed a police report and they would be contacting me . I told him Play the tape back I made no threats and  it was impossible to call 911 ,have a car dispatched , arrive o/s and take a report in two minutes .

Then I called my brother in law an attorney and former 1st assistant District Attorney, who said I’ll never hear from them but if I do he’ll handle it .

Half hour later the store called me back and said that they would fix it no charge as it was covered , I said sorry could,you replete that I didn’t hear what you said .

Never told daughter as she would not have brought it back for the work .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We just bought one for my oldest grandson he is heading to Franklin Pierce in NH. We got him an Apple Mac Book. Was not cheap but it will do everything he needs and more.

My friends daughter “graduated” from there this week, virtually of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

We have always had good luck with Dell Laptops and Desktops
https://deals.dell.com/en-us?tfcid=24474906&cid=-1852655075&ven1=-1998821637&ven2=-1852655075&ven3=88900c06&lid=88900c06&dgc=em&gacd=9694607-23541830-5761632-261265529-125393629&dclid=CJPFjZKez-kCFRLOyAodi38F9g

There’s still time to save on PCs and more.
View Online

DELL  

Dell Home | 1-877-887-3355 | Live Chat 24x7  

MORE TIME. SAVINGS CONTINUE.

New tech for less to keep you streaming, surfing, gaming and sharing.

View the Deals  
Edited by Steve D

MacBooks are really good but also slightly over priced.  They're main strengths is in graphics and they're also very reliable.  The drawback with Macs is that when they do break, you're charged an arm and a leg to fix and turn around time isn't as fast.  Unless you're studying to be a graphic designer, etc, Window products is what most of the business world is using so it there is one operating system you can learn I think it's more beneficial to learn on a Windows product.

The Dell Latitude E-series is a very good business class laptop.  So is the Lenovo ThinkPad (formally IBM ThinkPad).  If you want more flexibility, the Lenovo Yoga is a good choice.  Super light (think iPad light) and you can fold the screen completely around so that it actually becomes an iPad/tablet.

56 minutes ago, Fletch said:

My IT guy recommended to look for the AMD Ryzen CPUs when I asked him this question a month ago. Said the processing speeds are leaps better.  Interested to see what the IT guys on here say.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A12-9720P-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-4700U/3043vs3699

AMD has a long history of making "affordable" processors.  Clock speed and fan reduced their speed so you don't actually get their actual advertised speed.  Since then, AMD has expanded their line to offer both lower end and higher end processors.  Their higher end processors rival that of Intel's higher end processors but in doing so, the price is also about the same.  (Intel also offer a lower line of processors as well, the Celeron series.  For a quick easy cheat sheet, their higher end processors is the Core series with the higher number being better.  For example, Core i7 is better than Core i5 and Core i9 is their newest one.)  Either way, you're not saving when choosing between AMD Ryzen versus Intel Core i9's and the performance are pretty much the same.  You're not a race car driver where the slightest difference can determine whether you win the race or come in second so don't waste too much brain cells trying to decide.  When all things are equal, I'd side with the Intel Core i-series simple because they've been the top dog as far as high end processors for a longer time.

• Like 1

We bought a black Friday deal Dell laptop 3 years ago for $350 and it has done everything we use it for with no problems - internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, etc and my daughter uses it to play Minecraft. I have a Microsoft Surface for work and love it. I am not a computer expert and could not tell you the specs on either one but I can say that each have got pretty heavy use, for three years and two years respectively and neither have had any problems.