1990 Johnson 15 hp outboard motor

This motor has very low hours and is in good condition. I have mostly used it for backup for my boat's 70 hp Johnson, and only needed to use it one time for that purpose.   It had enough power to get my 17 footer on plane with two guys in it.   The little 5-1/2 Evinrude that I use for that purpose now will never do that. I am selling it because there is a 10 hp maximum hp limit on the lake where I now spend most of my "free" time.   

The photos were taken today.  I put some fresh gas and it fired right up and still runs like it did when new.   6 gallon tank and fuel hose is included as well as owners manual and original bill of sale.   

Asking price: $ 550 cash, WNY local pickup. 

15 johnson back angle running.jpeg

15 johnson prop.jpeg

15 johnson front angle running.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

This motor has very low hours and is in good condition. I have mostly used it for backup for my boat's 70 hp Johnson, and only needed to use it one time for that purpose.   It had enough power to get my 17 footer on plane with two guys in it.   The little 5-1/2 Evinrude that I use for that purpose now will never do that. I am selling it because there is a 10 hp maximum hp limit on the lake where I now spend most of my "free" time.   

The photos were taken today.  I put some fresh gas and it fired right up and still runs like it did when new.   6 gallon tank and fuel hose is included as well as owners manual and original bill of sale.   

Asking price: $ 550 cash, WNY local pickup. 

15 johnson back angle running.jpeg

15 johnson prop.jpeg

15 johnson front angle running.jpeg

Good price.  I would just buy the 10hp sticker kit.. 

;) that may or may not be what I did. It's the same basic motor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ncountry said:

Good price.  I would just buy the 10 hp sticker kit.. 

;) that may or may not be what I did. It's the same basic motor.

I thought about doing that.  I saw a hood from a 9.9 on craigslist a while ago, that would have done the trick, but I got to be able to sleep at night.   What I like about that 15 hp 2-stroke, is that it has a good power/weight ratio.   My father in law has a newer, electric-start Honda 10 hp four-stroke on his big party boat on that lake, and it weighs about double what my 15 hp weighs.    I get stuck hauling it up the steep stairs, to put it away for the winter, which is no easy task.    My "updated" 1956, 5-1/2 hp Evinrude, 16:1 gas/oil mix 2-stroke is just a little lighter than the 1990 15 hp Johnson, but it still runs as smooth as a Swiss watch.   I can't pull the girls around on water-skis with it on a 14 ft rowboat, like I could with that 15 hp however. 

truck and boat in barn.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Great deal! My 16’ boat has a 15hp and it hits 19mph, plenty of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It move my 17-footer about 16 mph, loaded down with the "broke down" big motor and a couple medium-sized guys.   I will probably have to settle for about 5 mph with the little 5.5 hp that I have for backup now.     

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I can't believe you haven't sold it yet at that price....Motors of that size sell like hotcakes as kicker motors  for boat with motors too big to troll efficiently with...

I did 10 minutes ago.  I noticed that the recoil was frayed and it needed a new rope  ($ 13.25 on E-Bay).  He offered me $ 500 and said that he did not need the fuel tank.  I had no use for the tank because my 1956 kicker runs a two-hose setup with a pressurized tank and my 70 hp feeds from a built-in tank.    I let him have it with the tank for $ 525.   He seemed like a nice guy and he is an Army veteran who was stationed up at Ft Drum for a while.   Now I can "splurge" on a new depthfinder for the bow of my boat (the old Humminbird flasher took a crap last Sunday).   The 1981 Eagle "silent 60" on the dash is still going strong however.  I originally bought that one for my rowboat when I was in high school. I like to run one from each brand because they run different frequencies and do not interfere with each other.

15 johnson pull rope fray.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Nice!

He got a great little motor and a real good deal!

Let us know what fish finder you get? Check out the Garmin's. I switched over to them three or four years ago, and love em!

I just ordered a Garmin which included a GPS from Bass Pro.  It was on sale for $ 99 and includes a transducer with trolling motor mount.  I also picked up another fishing rod to replace one my daughter broke last Sunday.   I should be all set for the regular bass opener on the third Saturday in June now.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Good deal for a good motor. What was the shaft length, 15” or 20”?

15" (short shaft).   It always was a good motor.  That frayed recoil rope is the first thing to go wrong with it.   One $ 13 part, after 30 years of service, was pretty good.  I did put a new set of plugs in it this spring, and maybe one other time over that stretch.   The rope held up ok to start it up again while the guy was here so that he could listen to it run.   The center core was still intact, just the outer sheath was missing over a few inches of length.  I always carry a spare pull rope that can be wrapped around the flywheel to start it if the recoil fails.     

For about (5) years, I used that 15 hp Johnson on a 12 foot rowboat, for two long weekends each fall at a cabin my in-laws used to rent on Red Lake (attached to the Indian river).  Those little 12 footers were rated for 10 hp max and the 15 was a bit much for them, but it probably pushed them close to 30 mph.   It was a bit unstable though, so the last few years up there, I used an early 1950's, 5 hp Mercury Super-5, that I bought at the auction at our family reunion, about 15 years ago.  One of my cousins has a camp up in Canada and he always bring his "junk" to the reunion.   I paid $ 20 for a pair, as "non-runners", and I gave one to my marina-owning buddy in exchange for him getting the other one running like new.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Now that its sold I have a question about mine, the pull start doesnt always "engage". It pulls freely a few times before it catches. Any ideas? It has electric start but the button assembly fell apart so I need to order a new one 

Not sure, but on my 5.5 Evinrude there was a little plastic dog thing that broke off, which resulted in non-engagement (I had to use my separate pull rope around the flywheel for the rest of that long weekend up in the Adirondacks, but fortunately that one usually starts with the first pull).  I pulled the whole recoil assembly off and took it to Lang's outboards in N.T. during the off-season, and he charged me around $ 10 to replace it.    

• Thanks 1