Basset hound?

Swamp_bucks

So Ive finally convinced my wife to let me get a hound.  She doesn't like the beagles because of the energy level is so high and they like to bark so much.  So I've turned my sights to a basset hound.  It would be a house dog before anything else.  I know they like to bark but aren't as high strung as the beagle and tend not to bark as much from what I've looked up.   Plus they seem to be great with kids,other dogs and cats.

Does anyone have any experience with them?  Bad or good?  Possible breeders in NY?

Looking to maybe get one next winter sometime when we aren't as busy so I have the time to train it. 

Back in my Coon hunting days I was acquainted with a fellow from Rome NY that I was in a Coon hunting club with. He not only Coon hunted with Blueticks he was also into Basset Rabbit Hounds big time and had some of the best hunting Bassets in the USA, his name is Frank Blockston. Last I knew he is still alive and kicking, and is still involved with his Bassets, the last contact info I have is listed below. 

Frank W Blockston Jr. 616 S GEORGE ST
ROME, NY 13440
[email protected]

• Like 1

Me and Frank were really good friends years ago and did a lot of running together. Hunted rabbits together, me with my beagles and him with his bassets. I even handled a couple of his bassets in ARHA field trials for him. Life got in the way and we sort of drifted apart. I still think of him often, and would love to get together with him again. If ever was a person to ask Bassett questions, Frank would be the first one I would call. Funnier than hell and an all around good guy! 

Edited by New York Hillbilly
spelling
  • Like 1

My old neighbors had one ,his name was stanley . He was super friendly and always stopped on his walks to get pet. I dont ever recall him barking obnoxiously or anything like that ,he just always seemed like he was stuck in slow motion. 

30 minutes ago, airedale said:

Back in my Coon hunting days I was acquainted with a fellow from Rome NY that I was in a Coon hunting club with. He not only Coon hunted with Blueticks he was also into Basset Rabbit Hounds big time and had some of the best hunting Bassets in the USA, his name is Frank Blockston. Last I knew he is still alive and kicking, and is still involved with his Bassets, the last contact info I have is listed below. 

Frank W Blockston Jr. 616 S GEORGE ST
ROME, NY 13440
[email protected]

Thank you for the info I'll shoot him a message.  

Bassets are loveable but dumb....As dogs are rated for intelligence, I think bassets  about 104 out of 105...

Hunting bassets do a good job on rabbits...However for a house pet I think you'd be better off  and picking a mixed breed mutt...

Probably be much smarter and have less congenital health problems...

I think Bassetts are like most dogs..you get out of them what you put into them. They are so mellow it seems they are a bit...slow, but they are as teachable as any dog...that is the fault with alot of breeds, folks dont try to do anything with them.