Fisher and Turkey eggs

bigpaul

I never saw one 10 years ago, now I see them on 3 different properties in different counties that I hunt.  They are neat creatures but highly efficient predators.  I saw one go up a tree after a squirrel in the woods behind my house, it didn't take very long.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Never seen a Fisher before-- but- Fisher and 22 Cal plinking seem to go together.

Now, now! Trapping only! I do seem to be overpopulated with them though. I've only seen 4 or 5 with my eyes but I've gotten hundreds of pictures of them.

Love watching them. Like jperch, I've watched one chase a tree rat up a large pine tree. Thought the squirrel didn't stand a chance.  He out maneuvered that fisher, but just barely.  Squirrel jumped from tree to tree with this cat nipping on its tail.  Small knot hole saved the squirrel. 

• Like 1

Yep they're regulars now on my trail cams by the cabin, along with fox and coyotes. 

Also had a surprising amount of raccoons this past week. I rarely get them on my usual cam spots, but last week every mouse I caught went out in the yard on a rock in front of a cam. Raccoons eat every one of them. 

My last day out I found turkey egg shells nowhere near a nest, someone had a snack.

Edited by cas

Because of their relatively low numbers I would tend to think Fishers would be on the bottom of the Totem pole when it comes to the number of eggs of ground nesting birds eaten by the varmint community in the grand scheme of things. Foxes, Skunks, Coons, Possums, and Coyote all love eggs and will get their fair share.

Back when I had my flock of Merriam's wild Turkeys they were raised free range for the most part. Once the Hens started up a nest and laying a clutch of eggs they would never walk directly to or from the nest. I noticed at feeding time the Hen would walk a couple of steps from her nest and fly out to the feeding area and eat. When done eating they would fly back to within a few feet of the nest and then settle back down to sit and incubate their eggs. Not positive why but I think is was a way to protect their nest and keep tracks and scent going and coming to the nest at a minimum.

Al

• Like 1