I Feel Sorry For Those Who Don't Eat Venison

Lawdwaz

I feel sorry for those of you who's wife or family (or YOU!) won't eat venison but I certainly understand.  I feel so fortunate that my wife and family all enjoy venison so much that we'd be lost without it.  Tonight my wife made stuffed peppers with ground but not with just ANY ground!  Last night I put a big neck roast from last fall's gun buck in the fridge to start the thawing process.  Today I sliced the meat into strips and ran it through the grinder.  It was tremendous.........

No pics of the peppers but I do have this:

BD8x1E4.jpg

• Like 20

My youngest has zero interest in hunting but loves venison. I’ll never forget when he was 5 or 6 I was frying up some back strap steaks in a pan. He comes down the stairs,  what smells so good he says I showed him and he’s says yes it’s the baby deer steaks. 

• Like 2

I feel sorry for those of you who's wife or family (or YOU!) won't eat venison but I certainly understand.  I feel so fortunate that my wife and family all enjoy venison so much that we'd be lost without it.  Tonight my wife made stuffed peppers with ground but not with just ANY ground!  Last night I put a big neck roast from last fall's gun buck in the fridge to start the thawing process.  Today I sliced the meat into strips and ran it through the grinder.  It was tremendous.........
BD8x1E4.jpg&key=d171ba8f6096fa1faccb2ca8fc603105e951a786f07ffe2aeef96a872b4e6999

I got half a neck roast in the freezer still (5+ pounds with bone in still). I was going to crock pot it and shred but now you are giving me a new idea....I do have a bunch of ground still so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife won't eat anything that doesn't have a Hannaford or price chopper label on it.   I cook my own venison dishes.  Most of my take goes to my grandnephews-neice. They absolutely love venison. Makes me go hunting to help them have something to eat.  Yes, they are less fortunate.  My nephew who provided for his kids, tragically passed. I've taken them hunting and they have taken there first turkeys and deer with me.  There dad took his first deer and turkey with me. 

I can't think of a better reason to hunt, but to keep Adams beliefs alive.  

I can fill the freezer easily. But helping those kids experience what there dad loved, is why I continue to hunt. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I feel the same way.  Stuffed peppers made with venison is one of my favorite dishes.   My wife much prefers ground venison (with no pork added) over ground beef for any recipe that calls for that ingredient.  "Lazy" style stuffed cabbage is my personal favorite.   Our kids favorite is venison tacos, but hoagies made with sliced backstrap is a close second.  We all love spaghetti with venison meat sauce or meatballs also, and who don't like venison chile ?    

If I had to pick one meat that I could eat every day it would be venison, but I realize that our kids could get sick of it, if we had it too often.  That happened to me when I was young with chicken.  My dad discovered that raising meat chickens was the cheapest way to feed our family so we ate it way too often.  To this day, I don't ever order chicken when we go out to eat, and I don't like it too often at home, and that is a direct result of having too much of it growing up.     

We definitely go thru more ground venison than anything else, so I grind everything but the backstraps and tenderlions of most of the "mature" deer that I process.    The last time we ran out of grind was for one week in October 2016.  Fortunately, I scored in the early northern zone ML season that year, to end that 1 week drought, and our supply has been good ever since.   

I always put the grind from the first deer each year in zip-lock bags, because vacuum sealing something that gets used within a few months is a waste of time and money.  The rest get vacuum sealed though, since it keeps for at least 4 years with no loss in flavor that way.   We are just getting into the grind from My 2018 gun buck at this time, which was a 182 pound whopper with a 42" chest girth, so it will take us a while to get thru that.   My 2019 crossbow buck was in ziplock bags, but a bit smaller body and we finished that up a few weeks ago.    

I don't think we will get started on the grind from last year's gun doe, until well after northern zone ML season.  I am planning on taking that whole week off this year so hopefully we will not run out of grind again anytime soon.  

Edited by wolc123

My family only eats cow when the venison runs out. I consider myself very lucky to have found a women who likes venison over cow. This year we have blown through the ground venison and only have 10 pounds left which I want to turn into Italian venison sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

G/f and her daughter wont eat it.I smoked a hind roast this past weekend with hickory chips(forgot to post pics in dinner thread).turned out excellent!expected dry and like rubber but ooooh no.smokey layer outside and hardly any chew.ate on it for 2 days,shared with cousin and parents.feel bad for those who dont eat it!!!!!

imagejpeg_16.jpg

• Like 3

Mrs. Squirrel won’t try venison. She says she isn’t hungry enough. My boys, on the other hand love it. They will fight over the last piece! I actually caught little squirrel counting the pieces of venison jerky so he could divide it up evenly and avoid being “cheated” by his brother lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, Lawdwaz said:

BD8x1E4.jpg

Such a nice deer, thats a dream of mine.  I’d stare at the wall non-stop in admiration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1