Small Bores For Turkeys?

13BVET

I just couldn't help but wonder, if anyone else on here enjoys the challenge of taking turkeys with small bores? I took a turkey last week, using the .410. I've actually taken quite a few, using the .410, and a 28 gauge I used to have. Has anyone else tried this?

Funny you post this... I have used a 20 gauge for hunting turkey and never got a shot at a turkey. I bought a brand new 12 gauge on a Friday afternoon once and shot a turkey with it the next day, good luck gun? I only really take out the 20 gauge for squirrel and shooting targets now.

Hi, Steve. I actually use strictly small bore shotguns for turkey, and take at least one every year. I just have this crazy "love the close up" mentality. Of course, with the .410, you have to get extremely close, but it can be done.

I'm happy just to get a clean sure kill shot within 40 yards with my 3" mag 12.

However,the sport is what you make it and if you have the patience to wait for a sure kill shot within .410 bore range, more power to you.

I have a friend who kills 3 or 4 gobblers every year in Florida and Georgia with his recurve bow..Most of his kills are within 15 yards...

I assume that you have patterned your .410 ..What is your max distance ? I'm guessing perhaps 20 yards, or maybe 25 if your shotgun patterns extra tight.

• 5 weeks later...

i use an 870 20 gauge, anything bigger is unnecessary to carry. 20 does same thing a 12 will do. i use my 20 for turkey and clay shooting, a bit lighter and easier to carry in the woods for sure. either can shoot up to 40-50 yards with an xtra full choke. got a turkey this year at over 30 while it was moving

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

i use an 870 20 gauge, anything bigger is unnecessary to carry. 20 does same thing a 12 will do. i use my 20 for turkey and clay shooting, a bit lighter and easier to carry in the woods for sure. either can shoot up to 40-50 yards with an xtra full choke. got a turkey this year at over 30 while it was moving

I'm glad you posted this for the Mossberg 20ga with Nitro's is all I've ever used and it's a turkey killer and they don't need to be up close to go down....gun to ammo and know your abilities

Edited by growalot

nice, i missed out on a huge gobbler due to some rookie error on my part but its my first year huntin and i got a turkey in general so im not complainin, fall turkey is much different than spring. personally i cant wait for spring, got my calls, blind and decoys ready to go. good weather hunting will be great

• 1 month later...

I assume you have adjustable sights of some kind.

Any shot load will do to sight in the barrel to point of aim. All shot loads should shoot to the same point of aim , unlike slug loads. Subtle differences in POI will be obscured by pattern spread.

Sight in with the cheapest loads you can find, and then fire a couple of your hunting loads at 30 yards or so to confirm the sighting.

Thanks for the reply Pygmy. Makes sense. Always used the Rem Nitro turkey shell in the 12. Go with that in 20 also. Believe they call it the pipe site. Takes me enough time to zero in on the target. Always wondered how a scope would do, hunting turkey?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I know lots of guys who use scopes on thier turkey guns..They are a good option..

Just make sure you have a scope with a generous amount of eye relief. Shotguns kick HARD with magnum loads, and it would be very easy to get a bad case of "scope-eye"

if you trip the trigger with your eye a little too close to the scope.

Just picked up a H S Strut undertaker full turkey choke at Gander last night for Rem. 20 ga.. Looking for a cost effective load to sight in with. Some say to use 7 1/2 game load. See if I can end the dry spell with my 12.

4, 5, or 6 thats the range id stay in

i've shot turkeys with 410s 32ga 24 ga and 28s, but mostly hunt the last 20+ years with flintlock fowlers and use a 62 cal for most, sometimes 75.

I have a friend bill who has never shot a turkey on the ground and he uses a 20 ga. he flushes them before shooting, he thinks shooting a bird on the ground with a shotgun is the most unsportsmanlike thing he has ever heard of, I've been with him on several hunts and his load of 7,5s in his winchester 101 has dropped cleanly every bird he has flushed so far.

I believe he got one one year with a 28 but I am not certain.

Thats a great point. I knew of one other person like that. They would flush a turkey, before shooting, like a pheasant. More sportmanship to it, when asked. Never agreed with this, but they use to harvest some nice birds. Used a 12 ga.. because the more pellets in the air, the better chance of hitting.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter