Beyond meats

Zag

So my wife and i were tooling around the grocery store and i look at a pile of beyond meats burgers. Now I cant wrap my head around eating something like this. Veggies dont turn into meat and you cant tell me it’s anything close to organic. Meat is meat!? Well my wife wanted to try it, not wanting to start a fight i keep my mouth shut. She decided she wanted her burger for lunch. I opened up the package and it don't look good at all, it smells like freaking cat food, needless to say she wasn’t impressed with it. Who knew?!!!

• Sad 1

I remember a buddy in high school and he used to eat some non meat stuff. Their religion was no pork.  He used to eat vege links - like hotdogs.  He once opened this can called Nu meat.  OMG. It was so disgusting. Came out of the can with a slurp noise and looked like it came out of the south end of northbound critter. No I did not try it. 

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’d probably try one from Burger King but only if I had a Whopper with cheese in the standby position......

I went for a "real-beef" one of those (a double but without cheese) from the drive-thru on Wednesday, for my first meal out since all this Covid-19 stuff started.  I had to work late and I needed the calories before the drive home.   It tasted pretty good, after three months of mostly venison for protein.  Not a bad use of $ 6.79 (I had the exact change).    I brought my own water, so I did not need to spring for their high-priced beverages.        

There are two major brands that dominate the "non-meat" market.  Beyond and Impossible.  Of the two, I like the impossible better.  The Burger King on (Impossible Burger) is actually pretty good.  It's very passible.  But it does not taste like meat.  It taste like something different and that something different isn't bad.  If you go in there with the mindset that it's suppose to taste like beef then you'll be disappointed even more.  Go in there with a blank mindset and then it won't be so bad.  That being said, if I had a choice between a real beef burger and an impossible burger, I'd pick the real beef burger every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  But if you told me they only have the impossible burger, I wouldn't have any issue eating it.  The Beyond taste like beans and mushrooms missed together.

There are two major brands that dominate the "non-meat" market.  Beyond and Impossible.  Of the two, I like the impossible better.  The Burger King on (Impossible Burger) is actually pretty good.  It's very passible.  But it does not taste like meat.  It taste like something different and that something different isn't bad.  If you go in there with the mindset that it's suppose to taste like beef then you'll be disappointed even more.  Go in there with a blank mindset and then it won't be so bad.  That being said, if I had a choice between a real beef burger and an impossible burger, I'd pick the real beef burger every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  But if you told me they only have the impossible burger, I wouldn't have any issue eating it.  The Beyond taste like beans and mushrooms missed together.

Agreed it doesn’t taste like meat, the texture however is close. I have eaten lots of these products due to my job. I will actually say some of them are quite good. They almost taste nutty and are safe to eat rare which is cool.

I would say try it you might be surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Chef said:

Agreed it doesn’t taste like meat, the texture however is close. I have eaten lots of these products due to my job. I will actually say some of them are quite good. They almost taste nutty and are safe to eat rare which is cool.

I would say try it you might be surprised

No offense , but I’ll take your word that some are good. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elmo said:

If you go in there with the mindset that it's suppose to taste like beef then you'll be disappointed even more.  Go in there with a blank mindset and then it won't be so bad. 

Of course I was expecting it to taste like beef, because that's what the advertisement claim. Can't tell the difference between the two, they claim. BS.  The stuff sucks... 

• Like 2

A few years back we decided to produce a clean label surimi seafood, we got it down to 8 all natural ingredients from 22 and got it verified by the NonGMO Project. That same consumer that insists on those attributes is also buying plant based products many of which are super processed and have questionable ingredients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

A few years back we decided to produce a clean label surimi seafood, we got it down to 8 all natural ingredients from 22 and got it verified by the NonGMO Project. That same consumer that insists on those attributes is also buying plant based products many of which are super processed and have questionable ingredients

That is very true. And what a pain in the ass jt is to her verified BTW I had to get the certificates needed on items for a client to get verified took over a year

That is very true. And what a pain in the ass jt is to her verified BTW I had to get the certificates needed on items for a client to get verified took over a year

It’s not easy but it’s incredibly inexpensive, I can’t believe they don’t charge more. That’s a valuable designation. We had to have it to get in to Whole Foods for example. We have the Marine Stewardship Council logo on our packages and they charge a fortune

It’s not easy but it’s incredibly inexpensive, I can’t believe they don’t charge more. That’s a valuable designation. We had to have it to get in to Whole Foods for example. We have the Marine Stewardship Council logo on our packages and they charge a fortune

Whole Foods is exactly why my client needed it. Yea we have the MSC logo on most of our branded stuff. It’s crazy the cost VS project Non GMO considering non gmo is way more mainstream

• Like 1

Whole Foods is exactly why my client needed it. Yea we have the MSC logo on most of our branded stuff. It’s crazy the cost VS project Non GMO considering non gmo is way more mainstream

MSC hit the big time when McDonald’s put it on the fish sandwich carton and Walmart took notice

• Like 1

That’s what I don’t get...these products are presumably marketed to the anti-meat people because meat has harmful hormones and additives and it isn’t organic enough.
What is organic about vegetables tasting like meat? And how many other things are added to make that happen transforming your (not specifically chef and TCIII...the general your) organic initial products into something not organic.
EAT VENISON!

• Like 3