Hot tub questions.

mowin

Wife and I had a hot tub in our old house. Used chlorine as the bromine was irritating. 

We're now looking into getting a better, more bells and whistles tub.  I'm seeing there are salt water system as well as silver or copper ion systems as well as ozone systems. 

So what system do you have and what's the pro's and con's?  

My old tub was a PITA  keeping the PH and alkaline levels in check. Are these systems easier to keep those levels correct?  

Thanks in advance..

Edited by mowin

Hot Springs tubs since ‘97 with ozone . Best warranty around, one cold cold winter it got hairline cracks on top of shell, it was 6 1/2 years old they brought me a new one, that one has been running strong since . Best insulated ones around cheapest to run .

Now the guy at the pool store said the easiest and cheapest way to balance your tub is drain and refill . I’ve nothing nothing since but add chlorine after use and change the water every couple months . Get a good submersible pump and it drains fast .

Use dedicated suits and don’t wash them, they always retain soap. 

Women who use a lot of creams and lotions, need to shower first but not using  them prior to going in is even better . Mrs Nomad had two friends that absolutely crushed our water with all the crap they smeared on .

Im in it now, cigar is done and time to drop backstraps on the grill , cheers !

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Hot Springs tubs since ‘97 with ozone . Best warranty around, one cold cold winter it got hairline cracks on top of shell, it was 6 1/2 years old they brought me a new one, that one has been running strong since . Best insulated ones around cheapest to run .

Now the guy at the pool store said the easiest and cheapest way to balance your tub is drain and refill . I’ve nothing nothing since but add chlorine after use and change the water every couple months . Get a good submersible pump and it drains fast .

Use dedicated suits and don’t wash them, they always retain soap. 

Women who use a lot of creams and lotions, need to shower first but not using  them prior to going in is even better . Mrs Nomad had two friends that absolutely crushed our water with all the crap they smeared on .

Im in it now, cigar is done and time to drop backstraps on the grill , cheers !

I'll look into hot spring tubs. 

We usually showered before getting in the hot tub. Definitely saved a lot of headache.  Our old house had a weak well, and it took 3 days to refill as I had to let the well recover. Old tub was a small one too. Only 210 gal.  So draining and refilling often wasn't a option. No issues with the well in our new place. 

• Like 1

Ozone is way to go. Salt is still a pain adding it. But keep on mind ozone dissolves everything , tubing it flows thru will need to be replaced every few years. 

Keeping balanced all depends on how much soap and softener  you and your friends have in you suits and on you.  I have one friend that has so much soap/softener  residue in his suit that when he and his fiance come over it's a damn bubble bath takes me two days to get it back under control.  Now I make them.rinse off suits before hot tubbing.

Hot spring is way to go very good warrenty 

Edited by G-Man
  • Haha 1

Agree totally with Gman . I had these weird small soft blue things in the water , turns out the hose the goes to a “ jet “ that’s moves up and down had disintegrated. I never use that so didn’t know .

Then you get to spend $150 for a small hose and a couple small plastic parts .

Luckly , very little has gone wrong .

When I bought my house there was an old mid 1990's Vita Spa hot tub. I liked it, but it didn't seem to get much use. Nobody cared to go in during the summer and in the shoulder seasons or winter i would go in alone but not many others cared to. After a few years of repairs it finally shit the bed. I, too, was going to buy a Hot Springs. After realizing how little we used it, we turned that concrete slab into a firepit instead (which also barely gets used). But if you are dead set on getting one, Hot Springs would be my choice too. The "Highlife Sovereign" was our pick because I wanted the laydown feature. But if you don't care about that you can get all seats instead.

dfe22ad7a877695d6d2ae2fd6996bf66.jpg9e1ff2f141d85269275fec1cf07e64c2.jpg

• Like 2

BTW, I ran mine on bromine. Very easy to use and easy to keep chemical levels perfect. a few times per year i would drain it all out and refill. I want to say it was like 300-325 gallons. So only took a few hours.

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

BTW, I ran mine on bromine. Very easy to use and easy to keep chemical levels perfect. a few times per year i would drain it all out and refill. I want to say it was like 300-325 gallons. So only took a few hours.

We used ours alot. Even mid winter as long as the wind wasn't too bad.  Can't use bromine. Wife was getting a rash from it. 

• Like 1

When I bought my house there was an old mid 1990's Vita Spa hot tub. I liked it, but it didn't seem to get much use. Nobody cared to go in during the summer and in the shoulder seasons or winter i would go in alone but not many others cared to. After a few years of repairs it finally shit the bed. I, too, was going to buy a Hot Springs. After realizing how little we used it, we turned that concrete slab into a firepit instead (which also barely gets used). But if you are dead set on getting one, Hot Springs would be my choice too. The "Highlife Sovereign" was our pick because I wanted the laydown feature. But if you don't care about that you can get all seats instead.

dfe22ad7a877695d6d2ae2fd6996bf66.jpg&key=0621b82d4da9b90d0c9016b8714b946c3e258ef01a7373d12b086fd4666fac799e1ff2f141d85269275fec1cf07e64c2.jpg&key=fca493c164da77adc73b69806a724304448a296f28595a1138da9f2d7422267b
It had a laydown feature? What does this mean? You could recline and take a nap in it?

#LessOverzealousMods

18 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

It had a laydown feature? What does this mean? You could recline and take a nap in it?

#LessOverzealousMods

Some tubs have a recliner type seating as well as upright seating. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

#LessOverzealousMods

Mowin is right. Rather than say 6 upright seats, you can get 4 upright seats and the 5th be a lounger across 1 side. 

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

Some tubs have a recliner type seating as well as upright seating. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

dfe22ad7a877695d6d2ae2fd6996bf66.jpg9e1ff2f141d85269275fec1cf07e64c2.jpg

That big ass dude that has been "hanging" around this site since the start of the Covid would look good in there with Bizzy if anybody had the photoshop skillz to git r done.  :)

(oh Jeremy)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That big ass dude that has been "hanging" around this site since the start of the Covid would look good in there with Bizzy if anybody had the photoshop skillz to git r done.  :)

(oh Jeremy)

Are you suggesting I ride a pogo stick while in a hot tub?