Bolt Action with Pistol Grip

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advanced,

Alfredo

5 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advanced,

Alfredo

Click the middle red box and take the quiz. Your gun choice is fine. 10 round mag is OK too, but 5 rounds for hunting.

https://safeact.ny.gov/

• Like 1

very unusual to find a bolt action that will have a ten round magazine,removable magazines are the small minority too. Pistol grip is fine. By far most hunting bolt actions will have a fixed  four to five round magazine, but there are a few bolts with removable ....and totally legal mags. I am pretty sure Thompson Center was one.

Exception.....22 rimfire you can have a large capacity mag for hunting, (Ruger 10/22 has a 10 round but is semi auto) and there are a slew of tube feed .22s that can hold 15 rounds and more, but they are not approprite or legal for anything but small game.

Edited by Daveboone
missed information

11 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses.  I've adjusted my search to a bolt-action pistol grip rifle with a 5 rounds detachable mag.  

Alfredo

There ya go! Come back and let us know what you get!

What caliber are you looking for, to hunt deer?

Best of luck to ya this fall!

I was not aware that there was a magazine capacity restriction for manually operated  long guns.

Semi autos used for big game hunting  have been limited to 5 round magazines forever,  but a bolt, lever or pump gun had no limit on the number of rounds.... Did the unsafe law change this  ?    Are the  10 and 15 round aftermarket mags designed for Rem 760s and 7600 now illegal ? 

35 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I was not aware that there was a magazine capacity restriction for manually operated  long guns.

Semi autos used for big game hunting  have been limited to 5 round magazines forever,  but a bolt, lever or pump gun had no limit on the number of rounds.... Did the unsafe law change this  ?    Are the  10 and 15 round aftermarket mags designed for Rem 760s and 7600 now illegal ? 

If its cool or convenient, its illegal in New York.

53 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Just checked the DEC site and I am definitely wrong on the 5 round limit for hunting. It's six and like Pygmy says only on semi-autos. Talk about being under the wrong impression, I thought five was the limit for probably 30 years! Hopefully I'm right about the I-86 expressway speed limit being 80 mph.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, grampy said:

There ya go! Come back and let us know what you get!

What caliber are you looking for, to hunt deer?

Best of luck to ya this fall!

Based on my research, it appears that for a new hunter, the best bet is a 308 Win caliber. 

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Just checked the DEC site and I am definitely wrong on the 5 round limit for hunting. It's six and like Pygmy says only on semi-autos. Talk about being under the wrong impression, I thought five was the limit for probably 30 years! Hopefully I'm right about the I-86 expressway speed limit being 80 mph.

So, to get this straight, there is no limit on the number of rounds for a bolt-action rifle (Provided I can find one with a mag that holds more than 5)? 

6 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

So, to get this straight, there is no limit on the number of rounds for a bolt-action rifle (Provided I can find one with a mag that holds more than 5)? 

That is correct, as far as I know...Consider, however,  the fact that it is highly unlikely you would ever need that high capacity  in a hunting situation...Even five is a lot in a bolt gun..I usually only load 3 in my 5 shot magazines...The larger capacity mag will also protrude down farther, making your rifle heavier and more unwieldy, negatively affecting it's handling qualities...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That is correct, as far as I know...Consider, however,  the fact that it is highly unlikely you would ever need that high capacity  in a hunting situation...Even five is a lot in a bolt gun..I usually only load 3 in my 5 shot magazines...The larger capacity mag will also protrude down farther, making your rifle heavier and more unwieldy, negatively affecting it's handling qualities...

Understood. Thank you again for your advise.

Alfredo

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

But I can miss twice as much with a 10rd mag!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alfredo said:

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses.  I've adjusted my search to a bolt-action pistol grip rifle with a 5 rounds detachable mag.  

Alfredo

First off, most rifles that come with pistol gripped stocks and detachable mags are made for tactical match shooting.

The rifles usually have very heavy stocks, long heavy barrels and aren't really suited for deer hunting, unless you plan to sit in a stand overlooking big fields that offer long range shot opportunities.

If your going to be carrying the rifle around, hunting in the woods and/or doing deer drives, a standard wood or synthetic stocked rifle would be a better choice.

Many have detachable magazines.

A short action .308 chambered rifle with a detachable magazine would be my recommendation. 

SJC

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

First off, most rifles that come with pistol gripped stocks and detachable mags are made for tactical match shooting.

The rifles usually have very heavy stocks, long heavy barrels and aren't really suited for deer hunting, unless you plan to sit in a stand overlooking big fields that offer long range shot opportunities.

If your going to be carrying the rifle around, hunting in the woods and/or doing deer drives, a standard wood or synthetic stocked rifle would be a better choice.

A short action .308 chambered rifle with a detachable magazine would be my recommendation. 

SJC

Sorry...Double post....Being a TOF   ( Traditional Old Fart) ,  I much prefer a hinged floorplate to any DBM....The ONLY thing have ever had problems with  on my Rem  700 Mountain Rifle is the DBM....

I would even prefer a blind box mag to any DBM, although I admit it is a bit more of a PITA to unload..

There is a good selection of very accurate, functional entry level hunting rifles available today...If you want to go the tactical route, well, that's your choice, but as Shoots 100 said , there may be better choices for  an all around deer rifle that you plan to walk around the woods with.

Edited by Pygmy

1 hour ago, Shoots100 said:

SJC

You have definitely given me some things to consider. I really appreciate this information.

Alfredo

See current hunting seasons

Discharge of Firearms, Crossbows and Bows

For information on where various legal implements may be used in the state, see Rifle, Shotgun, Crossbow and Bow Areas.

It is illegal to discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow:

• so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
  • within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a bow) of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
  • within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a bow) of adwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
  • You may hunt waterfowl with a firearm or bow, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet (for a firearm) or 150 feet (for a bow) in the direction you are shooting. You may not hunt waterfowl with a crossbow.

Manner of Taking

It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

• while in or on a motor vehicle (except by the holder of a Non Ambulatory Hunter Permit).
  • with the aid of a vehicle's lights.
  • on or from any public road or shoulder.
  • with any firearm equipped with a silencer.
  • with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).
  • with a spear or spear gun.
  • with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring) for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring, except for a hunter with a disability who is in possession of a Modified Longbow Authorization (or valid Modified Archery Permit).
  • with a modified crossbow except for a hunter with a disability who is in possession of a Modified Crossbow Permit.
  • with an arrow with an explosive head or shaft.
  • with any device designed or intended to deliver drugs to an animal.
  • with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, EXCEPT the following semi-automatic firearms:
    1. firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or
    2. firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
    3. autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.
  • with a crossbow if you are under the age of 14 years old.

Back Tags

Back tags must be visibly displayed on the middle of your back while hunting, except in the Northern Zone and Catskill Park.

Attractants

Baiting

It is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait, or over any baited area when hunting big game, upland game birds, turkey or waterfowl. It is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of products would not be legal.

Lures

You may use cover scents and lures for deer hunting. However, hunters should use synthetic products, as natural deer urine products could contain CWD prions. While bear hunting, you may use up to 1.5 fluid ounces of a liquid scent/lure.

Decoys

Decoys are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field. Some hunters wrap a strip of blaze orange material around the decoy when carrying it.

Electronic Calls

Electronic calls are legal to use for deer hunting and furbearer hunting in NY. You may not use an electronic call for turkeys, ducks, or geese.

Artificial Lights

It is illegal to hunt deer or bear with the aid of any artificial light including laser sights. A small flashlight utilized to navigate to and from your hunting location is permitted as long as you are not using the light to locate or hunt any big game.

Spotlighting

You may use lights to observe deer and bear under the following conditions:

• You are not within 500 feet of a home or farm building, unless you have permission from the owner or lessee.
  • While in or on a motor vehicle and operating a light and no person has a firearm or bow unless:
    • the firearm is taken down or the bow is unstrung, or
    • the firearm is securely fastened in a case, or
    • the firearm is locked in the trunk of the vehicle, or
    • the firearm is a handgun.
  • For information on hunting furbearers at night, see the Small Game and Furbearer Regulations.

Possession of Firearms and Crossbows

During the open season for deer, it is illegal to:

• possess shotgun shells loaded with slug or ball, unless holding a valid license or permit to take deer or bear, or
  • possess a rifle larger than a .22 rimfire (muzzleloading rifles excepted) in areas where rifles are banned for taking deer.

In Westchester County and on Long Islandit is illegal to use any rifle or crossbow for hunting, or to carry one afield.

In the Northern Zone it is illegal to carry a rifle larger than .22 rimfire or a shotgun loaded with slug, ball or buckshot afield if accompanied by a dog, except when coyote hunting under permit from the local Environmental Conservation Officer.

Possession of handguns in New York State requires a NYS Pistol Permit. New York does not recognize permits issued by other states.

Transportation of Firearms

A person may not transport or possess a shotgun, rifle or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded in both chamber and magazine or the crossbow is unloaded or taken down. A loaded firearm may be carried or possessed in a motorboat while legally hunting migratory game birds.

A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when the cap is off the nipple, the primer is removed, the primer powder is removed from the flintlock pan, or the battery is not in an electric-fired muzzleloader.

A crossbow is considered unloaded when it is uncocked. A crossbow is considered taken down when the limbs have been removed from the stock, securely fastened in a case, or locked in a trunk.

Importing Firearms for Hunting

To bring a rifle or shotgun into New York to hunt, U.S. Customs requires that all nonimmigrant aliens:

• Possess a hunting license before entering New York State.
  • Have an approved Form 6 Import Permit from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF). Print and complete a Form 6 Import Permit Application (link leaves DEC website).

Apply early! Six to 12 weeks are needed to get this permit.

For more information:

Accompanying

A licensed hunter may bring an unlicensed individual (including children) along, as long as the accompanying individuals are not participating in the big game hunt (including driving deer). Young children who are underage for deer hunting yet possess a hunting license are permitted to accompany a deer hunter and actively hunt small game. A licensed hunter who has filled all their tags may continue to participate in the hunt, including driving of deer, but may not attempt to shoot a deer.

Definitions

Air gun - a firearm that uses spring or compressed air (not gunpowder) to propel a single projectile that is .17 caliber or larger and produces a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second. Smooth or rifled bore air guns are allowed.

Bow - includes long (stick), compound, or recurve bow.

Crossbow - consists of a bow, a string, and either compound or recurve limbs with minimum width of 17 inches (outer tip of limbs excluding wheels and cams, uncocked), mounted on a stock. The stock that holds the string and limbs under tension until released. It shall have a minimum overall length from butt of stock to the front of the limbs of 24 inches and be able to launch a minimum 14 inch arrow/bolt, not including the legal arrowhead. It shall have a draw weight of 100 to 200 pounds.

Dwelling houses -- a permanent place where people live and sleep. Excluded are temporary residential units including camping trailers, motor homes or other portable shelters. Also excluded are abandoned dwellings, detached garages, tree houses, "playscapes", decks, pool areas, storage sheds and out-buildings - even when/if they are temporarily occupied. A permanent camp or cabin may qualify as a "dwelling house".

Factory or church -- A factory is interpreted to mean any building or structure used for commercial purposes. The discharge of a firearm or longbow within 500 feet of a factory or church is prohibited only when such building is occupied at the time of discharge.

Farm building, farm structure that is either occupied or used -- these structures are largely determined on a case-by-case basis. To qualify, the premises alleged to be a farm must be utilized principally for agricultural production for commercial purposes, including but not limited to crops, fruit, hay, livestock, production of dairy products, nurseries/greenhouses. There is no minimum number of acres that must be either owned or farmed to qualify. To receive protection the farm building or farm structure must be either occupied by people or livestock or used in some, even small, degree for storage of farm related tools, equipment or livestock. Excluded would be structures and out-buildings on acreage or lands that are not a "farm" even if they are temporarily occupied.

Furbearer - Coyote, red and gray fox, bobcat, raccoon, skunk, mink, weasel and opossum.

Handgun - is any pistol or revolver intended to be aimed and fired with one hand, and having a barrel length not exceeding 16 inches.

To hunt - means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife whether or not they result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to assist another person in taking wildlife.

Motor vehicle - means every vehicle or device operated by any power other than muscle power including but not limited to automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, trailers, motorboats, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles whether operated on or off public highways.

Muzzleloading Firearm - is a firearm loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a minimum bore of .44 inch.

Public Highway - means any road maintained by a state, county or town. A private road is one maintained by a person or corporation.

Rifle - is a firearm with a barrel length of at least 16 inches with rifling in the barrel that uses metallic cartridges.

School building, school playground -- a school building is any building owned by a school district. A school playground is interpreted to mean any area that is maintained by the school including mowed lawns and fields, athletic fields, playgrounds, and/or other areas where students engage in school sponsored activities. Excluded are school parking lots. A maintenance building or bus garage owned by a school district is not a "school building" but would be a "factory" as discussed below.

Shotgun - is a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches that uses shells that are nonmetallic except for the base.

Small Game - Upland and migratory game birds, small game mammals (red squirrel, rabbit, hare, porcupine and woodchuck) and certain frogs and turtles.

To take - means to pursue, shoot, hunt, kill, capture, trap, snare or net wildlife and game-and all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife-or to place or use any net or other device commonly used to take wildlife.

To trap - means to take, kill or capture wildlife with traps, deadfalls and other devices commonly used to take wildlife, including the shooting or killing of lawfully trapped animals. It also includes all related activities such as placing, setting, staking or checking traps or assisting another person with these activities.

More about Hunting Regulations: