How old for this fawn ?

Last day of turkey season I almost stepped on this wee one while stepping over a log. It’s still wet. e314ded05d09e110b486a271b1b54e29.jpg&key=c80dde871110a8c11875c551217158d0f653f70cd82d6a284be7d886e993fffd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old. It's only wet because you scared it so badly it pissed itself. You should really be more kind and stop trying to spook all the baby woodland creatures

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

I wouldn’t hang it over 3 days!

286326551b0c5fb4b131c1e531d3575b.jpg

Too soon? But Jay’s new bearded head would look perfect in the above(bunny ears optional).

And now seriously...was mama around? I would think it odd that you got that close without being “blown” by the mama

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Too soon? But Jay’s new bearded head would look perfect in the above(bunny ears optional).

And now seriously...was mama around? I would think it odd that you got that close without being “blown” by the mama

Ha. I was sitting maybe 20- 25 yards from fawn. And would have seen mom as I sat there for good hour. Had 3 other deer blow at me in 3 spots I sat in though. 

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

To protect the fawn, the does usually stay a considerable distance away from it for the first few days, until it is strong enough to  run and follow the doe around..They will go to it a few times a day  to nurse it, and then go away again..This is because the fawn gives off very little scent of its own, and the doe wants ( instinctively of course)  to avoid attracting predators with her own scent  ...

She will,  however, be close enough to hear a distress cry from the fawn, which will bring her running to its defense...

Unortunately, this is also why people sometimes find fawns, and seeing no doe around, assume it has been abandoned or the mother has been killed, and decide they need to "rescue" the poor fawn...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Savage

but true! Even Chef will call that a "roaster", you split it into two and pop it in the oven like cornish game hens.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

but true! Even Chef will call that a "roaster", you split it into two and pop it in the oven like cornish game hens.
Only works well though if you stick a nice apple in it's mouth first

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

So counting back 202 days this fawn was conceived Nov 10 or 11 - 2019. People always ask when's the best time to be in the woods for the rut. And does the rut come the same time every year. I killed my bow buck Nov 11 at 9am. We all know that from late OCT say Halloween through opening of gun is great  and Picking the best 7 days each year to be in a stand would be from like Nov 8-14.

• Like 1

For sure a roaster, they are better with a few more days on them as the meat gets a little firmer

• Like 2

For sure a roaster, they are better with a few more days on them as the meat gets a little firmer

Is it fair to assume that that legal deer harvest from that season (‘19 I believe) is the reason we did not had a competition in ‘20?
You cost me the crown, sir!!

So counting back 202 days this fawn was conceived Nov 10 or 11 - 2019. People always ask when's the best time to be in the woods for the rut. And does the rut come the same time every year. I killed my bow buck Nov 11 at 9am. We all know that from late OCT say Halloween through opening of gun is great  and Picking the best 7 days each year to be in a stand would be from like Nov 8-14.

IMO those days are more likely to be lockdown, I’d take 10/31-11/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I had my best day of hunting ever on the opening weekend of shotgun last year which was late , i never saw so many bucks out looking for tang and chasing doe around. 

• Like 1

Is it fair to assume that that legal deer harvest from that season (‘19 I believe) is the reason we did not had a competition in ‘20?
You cost me the crown, sir!!

You really think that was it or was it the people who organize that stuff stopped giving a crap

You really think that was it or was it the people who organize that stuff stopped giving a crap

Who knows anymore...people are easily offended lately it seems.
#FawnsTasteGreatAndAreLessFilling

• Like 1

I had my best day of hunting ever on the opening weekend of shotgun last year which was late , i never saw so many bucks out looking for tang and chasing doe around. 

That was the 3rd rut tho

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:04 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Not to argue but my most recent bow kills have been Nov 7 and Nov 11 and before that was a Friday late afternoon, last day before southern zone gun opened.   All the bucks on the move and looking. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

Not to argue but my most recent bow kills have been Nov 7 and Nov 11 and before that was a Friday late afternoon, last day before southern zone gun opened.   All the bucks on the move and looking. 

No argument here, our rut is very spread out for sure