Guess I feel behind in boat trailer maintenance!

Nomad

Fell ! 
Not sure if this should be under ,” today’s chuckle “ instead .

The ramp is onLy three miles from home, Mrs Nomad is saying the trailer is making noise , “ it’s a ‘64 , it’s going to make noise ! “ women ..... So I back it down , dump the boat and pull, trailer out  but my wheel is floating in the Bay and now the trailer is really making  noise .So we go for a cruise while they replace all the bearings , well put in new ones not much  left to replace , good for another 20 years .

3917ED45-F853-47A4-BD92-F2FB89ADB2AD.jpeg

341ED223-F865-48BB-B9C2-D8E0257F3DB1.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's always a bummer when the damned boat launch jumps up and bites ya in the ass.  Some of you might recall I ripped one side of my axle right off the boat up in Waterport 6-7 years ago.  I dropped the axle over the end of the launch because the water was real low.  Nothing a little more throttle won't get it over..............damn it all.   AFAIK, the pictures have expired or been wiped clean from the server. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

‘64?!?!? Time for a new trailer friend. Next season I will be going down for trailer #3. Current trailer is ‘06. 

Well they don’t build them like they used to ,this trailers rock solid same as the boat.

Boats a ‘64 as well , but motor is new it’s a ‘84 . Both sunk a few years ago, pulled it out dried out motor runs like new . Gas , oil and ramp fees . Every few years I register it and every ten or so I dump a couple hundred into it .

If anything major were to happen ,ill sink it for ,good , and junk trailer .

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

It's always a bummer when the damned boat launch jumps up and bites ya in the ass.  Some of you might recall I ripped one side of my axle right off the boat up in Waterport 6-7 years ago.  I dropped the axle over the end of the launch because the water was real low.  Nothing a little more throttle won't get it over..............damn it all.   AFAIK, the pictures have expired or been wiped clean from the server. :)

Watched a guy do the same thing in Watkins  glen  a few years ago ... ripped the entire axle off both sides . That big old dodge had some pulling power I will tell you.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Well they don’t build them like they used to ,this trailers rock solid same as the boat.

Boats a ‘64 as well , but motor is new it’s a ‘84 . Both sunk a few years ago, pulled it out dried out motor runs like new . Gas , oil and ramp fees . Every few years I register it and every ten or so I dump a couple hundred into it .

If anything major were to happen ,ill sink it for ,good , and junk trailer .

Two things:

1. 1964...I’m guessing freshwater only? Saltwater just kills stuff. 

2. If you sink her for real, make sure you log the coordinates so you can fish your own private reef site!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Two things:

1. 1964...I’m guessing freshwater only? Saltwater just kills stuff. 

2. If you sink her for real, make sure you log the coordinates so you can fish your own private reef site!

No chance..His  electronics are 1964 vintage also.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I went to Keuka Lake a few years back and there was a big commotion at the boat launch. Some guy went to pull his boat out and had it strapped to the trailer on the launch and got out of his truck to check something but didnt put it in park. The whole rig rolled in the lake and the boat tied to the trailer floated the whole affair out a ways until the truck filled with water. Then the truck pulled trailer and boat down with it,about 80 yds out. It was interesting to watch the recovery.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I trailer my boat everywhere even tho I live literally 2 blocks form my marina. I follow the fish around the island. I have fished fromRockaway to Montauk and form Little Neck to Plum Island. I have seen sooo many boat ramp mishaps. Some of it can be very entertaining, just sucks when it happens right before I use the ramp. Once saw a guy forget to unstrap his boat form the trailer and backed in to see 2/3 of his boat submerged before he got out of his truck to realize what he did. But like I said earlier, the salt water kills everything, hence the new trailer every few years. 

There’s NO electronics on the boat , Hell the lights and horn  haven’t worked since Regan was president . I have a Maxwell House can the works as bilge and head , bought as fancy as I get .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I had a similar experience towing my son's boat home from storage this year.98871843cc0cf12ea43a18a02279429b.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yikes ! I was very lucky , it happened at the marina, and not on the road , lesson learned . I used to, repack them each year and replace as needed , I guess I got lazy for a couple years . Not good .

• Like 1

I went to Keuka Lake a few years back and there was a big commotion at the boat launch. Some guy went to pull his boat out and had it strapped to the trailer on the launch and got out of his truck to check something but didnt put it in park. The whole rig rolled in the lake and the boat tied to the trailer floated the whole affair out a ways until the truck filled with water. Then the truck pulled trailer and boat down with it,about 80 yds out. It was interesting to watch the recovery.

80 yards at Keuka means 150’ deep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

27 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Bearing buddies are your friend

Changed out a bearing on the shoulder of the Lake Ontario State Parkway once about 30 years ago. Bought bearing buddies that same week and never had an issue again. However I also had to learn the hard way to not overfill them when I blew out the rear seals from over filling.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

I was a ways behind a boat trailer on the Thruway once, a four wheel trailer. The front left tire did the boogie-woogie and came off... and was immediately run over by the rear tire. Then it did the most amazing thing, it shot about 100 feet straight up in the air. It was the most amazing thing.  I was the passenger and my brother in law was driving, he didn't see it happen. As the tire reached the peak of it's arc, I was pointing at it unable to get my brain to describe what I was seeing. I sort of made noises like Lou Costello did when he saw the mummy or Frankenstein. lol  (you know, I couldn't seem to get the words "by the way, there's a tire hovering 100 feet in the air and we're driving straight at it" to come out) ;) 

It came down as we got closer and it did the football bounce all over the highway changing lanes with each bound. We swerved from one lane to the other then back to the first as it went flying right by the right of us about 700 thousand miles and hour! Wow! Man I wish there were dash cams back then.

Edited by cas