Yet another treestand fatality in NY

nyslowhand

I doubt he was really 35 feet. They probably embelished the story for the sake of the paper.

I have to admit it I don't use a harness. I use a climber most of the time and with the bar in front and the seat low low enough to keep me contained, I feel like I would have to really try to fall out. I also use a few ladder stand that I don't think go above 12 feet. It's not because its a "macho-man not gonna happen to me attitude" its because of a few reasons. I go through alot of trouble to get camouflaged up. Most of the harnesses out there do not take camouflage into consideration. They have black straps or a company's logo in some absurd color. It's also because I yet to find one that is comfortable to wear or easy to put on. Not to mention how much they cost. Now I know I'm gonna get bombarded with responses calling me a moron or telling me "how much is your life worth" but like I said... it more than just the expense. Like I need more freakin gear to carry into the woods.

When I find one that is well camouflaged and easy to put on and I happen to have the extra hundred buck in my pocket (like that'll ever happen) then I'll get it. Till then I'm gonna keep hunting the way our fathers and grandfathers did. I'll be careful.

I agree about the height, BUT. 20 some years ago I got a job as a firefighter something I learned right away was this. Most of the new stories have mistakes in them ,i would say almost always.

Any fire,shooting or union issue that I knew first hand about had errors. It got to the point that every news story I see/read, I wonder 'whats wrong with this one". This held true to today. a couple weeks ago i went to a shooting,3 hits right leg and torso. The news ? " Man shot in leg".

Who knows where they got the 35 feet, and it may be right but I'd guess it was someones guess .....

Stay safe.

bowhuntersully,look do what you want man its a free country.I'd just say harnesses come with every stand,I wear mine under my camo,and i wear it in and out .that and I know 3 guys who fell,one who broke a femur.

Edited by Larry302

I doubt he was really 35 feet. They probably embelished the story for the sake of the paper.

I have to admit it I don't use a harness. I use a climber most of the time and with the bar in front and the seat low low enough to keep me contained, I feel like I would have to really try to fall out. I also use a few ladder stand that I don't think go above 12 feet. It's not because its a "macho-man not gonna happen to me attitude" its because of a few reasons. I go through alot of trouble to get camouflaged up. Most of the harnesses out there do not take camouflage into consideration. They have black straps or a company's logo in some absurd color. It's also because I yet to find one that is comfortable to wear or easy to put on. Not to mention how much they cost. Now I know I'm gonna get bombarded with responses calling me a moron or telling me "how much is your life worth" but like I said... it more than just the expense. Like I need more freakin gear to carry into the woods.

When I find one that is well camouflaged and easy to put on and I happen to have the extra hundred buck in my pocket (like that'll ever happen) then I'll get it. Till then I'm gonna keep hunting the way our fathers and grandfathers did. I'll be careful.

Moron.

• Like 1

I have a similar climbing tree stand with a bar in front but i use the harness once i get up to the spot im gonna hunt from. I agree with you on harness being expensive the harness i have was $135 and the camo is complete @#$%^ but its really easy to put on and comfortable to wear but you get what you pay for with a harness they sell cheap ones at walmart $30 or $40 but they are annoying to put on.

Most fathers and grandfathers hunted from the ground. Treestands have become more popular in the last 30 years or so. Even a camo rope around your waste is better than nothing in my opinion. Yeah, I know they say a waste only harness will cut off you circulation and breath and all, but it's way better than falling the whole way down. If you have a knife around your waste, you can always cut yourself down and only maybe fall a short distance or you can swing over and maybe hug a tree or limb instead of falling. Just my .02, but breaking your neck or killing yourself is not worth it just to kill a bloody deer.

Wow...if I ever skipped a harnes it wouldn't be in a climber. Ladder stand with shooting rail ..ok but I have taken a ride down the bark highway before on a climber and it was not fun. Yes it was a lot older style but Nope...not skipping a harness on a climber.

And Steve,.....great comment about how our fathers did it..On the ground----.red and black wool clothing (if they were lucky) rickety old guns reaking of Hoppes...wander into the woods smelling of this mornings bacon and eggs at the diner. With a Cig hanging out of their mouths. LOL. Good 'ole days

Do you really think the deer are gonna know the difference if they see a black tether attached to your back and wrapped around a tree at 15' not to mention 30'? I'll answer that question for you, I'm 99.999% positive the deer are not gonna notice the black straps against tree that far up.

I use the Hunters Safety System vest harness which has 5 buckles - two small ones on your chest, one across your waist and two seat-belt size buckles that go around your legs. The vest is camo and the straps are black. It's easy to put on and off. You can even probably wear it underneath your camo jumpsuit or whatever camo gear you have on as long as the tether comes out the back. Many jumpsuits nowadays have a slot you can stick the tether through if you really want to cover any "non-camo clothing" you may be wearing. I got it end of season on sale at Dicks for $59.

To me it just ain't worth the risk. I love hunting. I enjoy it with a passion and it is my obession, but I love my life and my family a helluva lot more than risking my life to hunt without one.

Edited by Deerthug

A long time ago I climbed a tree with too smooth of bark with a climber, climbing down I extended the base too far down and it didn't grab on the tree.Fortunately I had a strap around the tree and under my arms, it caught and allowed me to pick up the base again and start over. If I hadn't worn one who knows what the outcome would have been. These fall restraints are inconvenient but so is being dead or incapacitated.

A long time ago I climbed a tree with too smooth of bark with a climber, climbing down I extended the base too far down and it didn't grab on the tree.Fortunately I had a strap around the tree and under my arms, it caught and allowed me to pick up the base again and start over. If I hadn't worn one who knows what the outcome would have been. These fall restraints are inconvenient but so is being dead or incapacitated.

Well said 132! Coming from experience . . .

Told ya I was gonna catch hell... :)

to each there own

Sully, it's not a matter of catching hell. You are right, it's a matter of choice. If you choose to climb without a harness, then so be it. But you can't ignore statistics that most falls from treestands whether they are climbers or permanent stands, could be prevented by the use of a harness. I don't think you would disagree.

I wish you best of luck and that you are safe in your hunts.

From a person that nearly passed out while 16 ft up....a shooting rail isn't going to keep you from sliding under it..or flipping over and out of the stand if for what ever reason you may become unconscious ....I use a harness that came with a new stand...put base layers on lay harness on deck step into legs...pull up.... slide over one shoulder then next and tighten mid strap.....how hard is that?...then I pull tether to front over my shoulder put on outer pants and jacket flip tether over back...all concealed....there are just no good excuses

i think it was careless for the guy not to wear a harness up in a stand that high or for any hieght for that matter but i really think the way some of you people are calling him a moron and other names is really out of line. what if he has family that are members of this site and they are reading this how do you thin they would feel. another hunter had a fatal accident why cant be just be compationate some times and stead of crap talking even if it could have been prevented. thats the problem with so many of us hunters these days hunters are always trash talking about one another in some way or form about how some one hunts why does some one shoot a small deer why would you take that shot. people can have conversationa about all these different topics and so many more with out being hurtful or way out of line.

One in 3 hunters will fall from a stand in their lifetime, so the what 15 or so who replied, half of us will have a fall of some sort.

I also use the hunter safety system, very easy great system, only thing you need to make sure is the strap around the tree must be in good condition, no leaving them out there and it must be put on the tree correctly.

It is a matter of time before the State makes a safety harness Law for any above the ground hunting. I dont like mandates or laws about everything, and enforcement will be very difficult.

For those of you who dont have one, get one, tell your wife to put it on your birthday or xmas lis, it's an easy buy for them when they know it will save a life of someone they love.

You have to be crazy to climb a tree with a safety belt. I use a lone wolf hand climber and even though its been great 99 percent of the time i did have one occasion where the bottom fell down about 6 feet (thank god for those connector straps). Harnessed up to the tree made me feel safe and i got the bottom of the stand back up.

I also had a friend, thank god he had his hunter safety vest on, that after getting close to 30 feet up a tree the bottom of his climber completely disconnected and fell almost all the way down the tree. I had to use my climber up the back side of the tree to get him his base. If no strap it would have probably gotten ugly real quick.

Nothing really new to say about this story. I feel bad for the guy's family and friends who now have to live with this the rest of their lives because of his stupidity. You guys that think you canto fall, no matter what kind of stand it is, are fooling yourselves, and saying a deer would notice a black strap is about the weakest excuse for irresponsibility Ive ever heard. I have a tad over $200 into my fall protection/decent system, which is nothing when it comes to keeping me from being dead or a quadriplegic.