Pa or Ohio hunting?

Swamp_bucks

Kentucky also has an early season allowing to hunt velvet bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I was in Tennessee last week I stopped in a bow shop just to see what was there and chat a bit with some locals.  They told me they have a special “Velvet Weekend” in August when you can shoot a buck still in velvet.   My recently passed away friend had a caribou he shot in Nova Scotia that had its velvet still on, it was a really cool mount.  

In 2013 I think it was I hunted CT. They open 9/15 and I passed up an easy shot on a 3pt still in velvet. It’s a 2-buck state and I regret not shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

In 2013 I think it was I hunted CT. They open 9/15 and I passed up an easy shot on a 3pt still in velvet. It’s a 2-buck state and I regret not shooting

I had access to a sweet apple orchard in CT many moons ago...locals were D-Bags who hunted neighboring property and ran us off...took cameras, messed with stands, notes on car. Wasn’t worth it to hunt baited deer(legal in some capacity).

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I had access to a sweet apple orchard in CT many moons ago...locals were D-Bags who hunted neighboring property and ran us off...took cameras, messed with stands, notes on car. Wasn’t worth it to hunt baited deer(legal in some capacity).

Damn, that sucks. The spot I had was a couple who owned a 10k sqft house and were trying to rent rooms, so i asked about hunting their 12 acres and they said yes. It was nice for a year and then they got divorced and sold LOL. It was Middlebury so no baiting though.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

I’ve hunted PA for years, state game lands are mismanaged and tend to be relatively small and over hunted. Soon as pheasant season rolls people go crazy for farm birds. That being said there’s plenty of big buck on state game lands. State forest has large tracts across the state, great access everywhere.

I hunted Ohio for a few years for early archery. There seemed to be much better managed game lands/wildlife areas. I wasn’t lucky enough to come across the big bruisers but the sign was there everywhere and piles of doe.

• 6 months later...

Ohio deer hunting sucks! Yes there are awesome bucks & alot of them killed comparitavely to some other states. 15 years ago I would have said we had some of the best whitetail hunting in the country. The population was too high actually. Road kills everywhere. That has changed with the exploding coyote population ( which is another subject, you think they are in every state by accident? Insurance companys dream) & too high of bag limit. Will you see deer bowhunting yes. Its the same few though. I used to drive 30 miles of highway each way to work. The last several years hardly any road kill. Thats from a drastically snaller heard. You go out gun week. I go on my own land. You may not even see a deer or only 2 or 3 in a week. Its all about insurance companies & lobbyist in my opinion$$$. When is the ballance right? When everyone is pissed off. The pendulum has swung too far & the people here are accustomed to shooting does. You see 3 mature does in Oct. & theres only 2 yearlings with them & season has just started. Coyotes? Its something going on. My rant is over

12 hours ago, McGuyver said:

Ohio deer hunting sucks! Yes there are awesome bucks & alot of them killed comparitavely to some other states. 15 years ago I would have said we had some of the best whitetail hunting in the country. The population was too high actually. Road kills everywhere. That has changed with the exploding coyote population ( which is another subject, you think they are in every state by accident? Insurance companys dream) & too high of bag limit. Will you see deer bowhunting yes. Its the same few though. I used to drive 30 miles of highway each way to work. The last several years hardly any road kill. Thats from a drastically snaller heard. You go out gun week. I go on my own land. You may not even see a deer or only 2 or 3 in a week. Its all about insurance companies & lobbyist in my opinion$$$. When is the ballance right? When everyone is pissed off. The pendulum has swung too far & the people here are accustomed to shooting does. You see 3 mature does in Oct. & theres only 2 yearlings with them & season has just started. Coyotes? Its something going on. My rant is over

Same issues in most states/areas

That’s a broad statement. Some guys kill a giant every single in Ohio and love it.