Pa or Ohio hunting?

Swamp_bucks

I think in 2 years me and my friends want to try hunting a different state.   Also it would most likely be early season.

So which one would you go to?

I want to go to Ohio. Seems like there's a good deer population tags are pretty cheap.  Plus enough public land to get lost on.

• Like 1

I've hunted in Coshocton County, New Castle, for 20+ years. The Deer hunting absolutely sucks, the amish have almost wiped out the entire deer herd, if you don't believe me go on some of the Ohio forums. I'm the only one out of 5 left from the original deer camp, one guys son goes and a few other kids. I just go out of tradition and the party. The amish even changed the deer hunting where I live, they are about an hour away from me too. Find someone that lives next to one of the Cleveland Metro Parks, that's where the big deer are.

I live in Ohio and hunt PA and NY. Lol. We have good public land but I feel like PA has bigger tracts. We’re known for bigger bucks though. Both states are cheap to hunt so try both! I hunt 5-6 states every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There will only be 1 left and I already have dibs on him so nope there are no deer in pa left.....well after they go full concurrent season this year there will be a huge reduction in population again.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Ohio has far fewer hunters than pa ( hunters per square mile) , that is biggest difference.  400k vs 1.1 million.. less pressure bigger deer ,same reason for midwest harvests. Less hunters per acre.

Edited by G-Man

I have a number of friends who have gone to Ohio to hunt, actually even on paid leases. Each time they were very disappointed, even after trying different landownders..archery season. Always seemed to have conflicts with other parties, poor sightings, I would be more interested if anything, finding a leasing club in a good area right here. 

Some day im gonna talk [mention=770]sodfather[/mention] and [mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] into making a trip to ohio for some public land ohio hunting with a bow. 

What about me?

I know some great public land spots in PA, 300K acres and won’t even run into another hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Some day im gonna talk [mention=770]sodfather[/mention] and [mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] into making a trip to ohio for some public land ohio hunting with a bow. 

What’s my name....Skip?!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What about me?

I know some great public land spots in PA, 300K acres and won’t even run into another hunter

I don't want to hunt PA and you live 6 hours away and you'll bring a crossbow.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Haha 1

I'd rather (if anybody was even THINKING about asking ME) direct my time and funds towards a western hunt for antelope and or mule deer. To shoot a mediocre buck in either state doesn't trip my trigger and neither does holding out for a 120" or bigger buck.  Why go out of state when our season is on or heating up?

For many years I hunted Pennsylvania for bow, rifle and muzzleloader.  IIRC I started in about 1981 with rifle hunting then in about 1985 archery and ML'r also.  Of course the ML'r was at the time real black powder and patched round balls out of flintlocks, starting December 26 each year and running a few weeks. The archery started as early as late September and between that early start (back then our season was 10/15) and the late muzzleloader start those were what drew me in.  Also of course, the fact that their gun season was centerfire rifle (of course we were shotgun only around here) and a week after out opening day was another drew and huge at that!

I quit archer hunting there in the 90's.......but started hunting a special early (approx 3rd week of October)  "anything goes" antlerless deer season in the 2000's.  My buddy and I would camp out for a few days and give it a whirl, that was a blast.  I think this past fall (or was it two falls ago?) my first year NOT hunting there since 1981.  Maybe I'll go back some year, I have an open invitation if I decide to go.  We'll see........

• Like 3

I don't want to hunt PA and you live 6 hours away and you'll bring a crossbow.

I’ll bring my compound and fly into buffalo, Cincy or Cleveland. Whatever is convenient!

• Like 1

I'd rather (if anybody was even THINKING about asking ME) direct my time and funds towards a western hunt for antelope and or mule deer. To shoot a mediocre buck in either state doesn't trip my trigger and neither does holding out for a 120" or bigger buck.  Why go out of state when our season is on or heating up?
For many years I hunted Pennsylvania for bow, rifle and muzzleloader.  IIRC I started in about 1981 with rifle hunting then in about 1985 archery and ML'r also.  Of course the ML'r was at the time real black powder and patched round balls out of flintlocks, starting December 26 each year and running a few weeks. The archery started as early as late September and between that early start (back then our season was 10/15) and the late muzzleloader start those were what drew me in.  Also of course, the fact that their gun season was centerfire rifle (of course we were shotgun only around here) and a week after out opening day was another drew and huge at that!
I quit archer hunting there in the 90's.......but started hunting a special early (approx 3rd week of October)  "anything goes" antlerless deer season in the 2000's.  My buddy and I would camp out for a few days and give it a whirl, that was a blast.  I think this past fall (or was it two falls ago?) my first year NOT hunting there since 1981.  Maybe I'll go back some year, I have an open invitation if I decide to go.  We'll see........

I agree, Larry. Both times I went to PA was late October with xbow when I couldn’t hunt NY (before I had a compound). I, too, never wanted to leave NY hunting season in November. The early October western hunts are awesome, because when you are come back hunt you get to hunt again right away.

Yep I agree larry , I'd rather go after something I cant get in ny. Antelope, mule deer ,elk. I have friends in iowa, missouri and ohio and pa most come to ny to hunt for we have numbers . We compare trail cam.photos and bucks are about the same year to year.  

• Like 1

Ide love to do a western hunt but with young kids I wouldn't be able to have that type of time or finances for awhile.  We would definitely be going early October so we didn't miss our best time here in ny.  One of our main reasons for wanting to try is to start our own tradition.  Alot of us have lost family lands to hunt and with that the traditions we had.    Now buck size if we were to go yes I would want a decent buck. But to us a good buck is 80"-plus(I now 80" is nothing for some) if I want to bring home meat ide take a doe.  I'm ok with it taking a year or 2 to find a decent area to go. That's half the fun for me and spending that time hunting with good friends is worth it.  Eventually we plan on going out west for mule deer or something else.

A trip to Pa.or Ohio sounds like a nice change and a good time for a group of you guys, especially as you say, to start some new traditions to replace those that have been lost. I wish you all a lot of luck with that.

I also agree with Lawdwaz. If family obligations and financial hurdles can be overcome, I would highly recommend a western hunt for mulies, pronghorns, elk or whatever. I've been going to Wyoming every year since I retired and I have a blast every time I go.

Again, good luck with your adventure.

• Like 1

While I was in Tennessee last week I stopped in a bow shop just to see what was there and chat a bit with some locals.  They told me they have a special “Velvet Weekend” in August when you can shoot a buck still in velvet.   My recently passed away friend had a caribou he shot in Nova Scotia that had its velvet still on, it was a really cool mount.  

• Like 1

While I was in Tennessee last week I stopped in a bow shop just to see what was there and chat a bit with some locals.  They told me they have a special “Velvet Weekend” in August when you can shoot a buck still in velvet.   My recently passed away friend had a caribou he shot in Nova Scotia that had its velvet still on, it was a really cool mount.  

Kentucky also has an early season allowing to hunt velvet bucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

Nova Scotia?