D-Day. 76 yrs ago today

mowin

I am in a Veterans group and a few members - sadly fewer and fewer these days - are/were WW2 Vets and I couldn't possibly know better people whom are dedicated to the Red White and Blue .... they argue over who is going to carry the Flag during parades we attend . On my bucket list is to visit the Cemeteries in Europe for our Hero's of WW2 ! God Bless them all ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Long post.

In 2012, I was driving from CA to NY and my schedule took me to DC for the night. I had a few hours in the morning and wanted to see the Mall so I had a cab drop me off at the Lincoln Memorial. 

Now, as a Canadian, I didn’t have a personal or cultural relationship with the  monuments, though I was aware of them all, seeing them in the media my entire life. It was an intellectual relationship at best. 

As I ascended the stairs of the Lincoln Memorial, I was struck by the increasing weight and solemnity of this tribute to a man seated but also looking like he was about to stand to greet me. It was early and I was fortunate to be alone as it would seem sinful to speak in such a reverent  space.

From there I walked to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Now I knew this was a wall of names carved into black granite but what I didn’t realise was that the memorial was essentially below grade and you descended as the wall of names grew taller until they overwhelmed you. At the bottom you were forced to see your reflection in the granite among the names of the dead. This was one of the most powerful monuments I’ve ever seen  

After that, I came across the WW2 Memorial and the point of this story. I’ll be honest, it’s not a particularly impressive memorial or space, especially compared to what I had just seen, but as I approached a few buses of WW2 veterans pulled up. I stood aside and was humbled to silently witness these men slowly make their way—some with canes, some in wheelchairs—to the names of the towns, theatre, battles that define them as young men. 

Time was pressing, so I rushed to the Air and Space Museum and could only poke my head into the lobby, but damn ... The Spirit of St Louis, Apollo 11 module, Wright Brothers plane ... how the hell do you guys still have the stuff? 

I hailed a cab and headed back to my hotel. As a Canadian I was left with only three words .... America, fuck yeah. 

• Like 3

My uncle is going to be 95 and served in the Navy during WWII and was called up for Korea as well.  He was a fireman in the NYFD and retired a battalion commander in the mid 80's.  He lives in PA in a home over looking the Delaware River across from Hawk's Nest near Sparrowbush, NY.  He lost his wife of 69 years a couple of years ago.  He's in great health for his age and lives alone very independently.  He was still driving when he was 93, but not any more.

He firmly believes he was blessed by God to be born in the United States and that it is the greatest country ever to exist on this earth.  He will take on all comers who want to tell him differently with unbridled passion.

Sadly, he's finding far too many younger folks who do not agree with him these days and I can see sorrow in his eyes whenever he thinks about what is to become of the land he fought for.  The thought of so many of his fellow Americans making the ultimate sacrifice for such ungrateful younger folks breaks his heart.

The man actually looks forward to death, so he won't have to bear witness to the future he expects for this country.  Meanwhile, we pay homage to past veterans and make each other happy talking about the good old days, when men were men and courage and honor were a virtue.

• Like 4

My uncle is going to be 95 and served in the Navy during WWII and was called up for Korea as well.  He was a fireman in the NYFD and retired a battalion commander in the mid 80's.  He lives in PA in a home over looking the Delaware River across from Hawk's Nest near Sparrowbush, NY.  He lost his wife of 69 years a couple of years ago.  He's in great health for his age and lives alone very independently.  He was still driving when he was 93, but not any more.
He firmly believes he was blessed by God to be born in the United States and that it is the greatest country ever to exist on this earth.  He will take on all comers who want to tell him differently with unbridled passion.
Sadly, he's finding far too many younger folks who do not agree with him these days and I can see sorrow in his eyes whenever he thinks about what is to become of the land he fought for.  The thought of so many of his fellow Americans making the ultimate sacrifice for such ungrateful younger folks breaks his heart.
The man actually looks forward to death, so he won't have to bear witness to the future he expects for this country.  Meanwhile, we pay homage to past veterans and make each other happy talking about the good old days, when men were men and courage and honor were a virtue.

Good job trying to subtly politicize another thread. Can you ever just be normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So you two youngsters would like to tell him he's wrong about the United States being the greatest country ever to exist on this earth?  It's youngsters like you that break his heart.  You guys just proved my point.

WWII vets fought for freedom and liberty.  They have seen the decline of both in this land ever since.  It's not political.  It's societal.  If either of you chooses not to hear what these vets have to say, you are the crazy ones.  If silencing the truth is normal, normal can take a hike.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 4

America is the greatest country in the world but one also shouldn't be contempt.  It is not perfect and there is always room for improvement.  It was far less perfect back then.  Keep in mind not all heroes of WWII came back to a hero's welcome when they returned.  I.e.  Dan Inouye.  Also no Black WWII veterans every received their medals of honor until 1997.

None of that had anything to do with America as an institution.  It had to do with the government and the policies it was allowed to enforce with the approval of the people.  Then, as now, the government and people were to blame, not the country as an institution.

The system the founders of America installed allows the country to be the greatest country that ever existed.  The elected officials in the country are to blame for any abuses of the system.

Fortunately, the founders envisioned abuse of power by elected officials and put the power to correct that in the hands of the people, while simultaneously warning us the people could also be duped into destroying themselves by those same elected officials.

Citizens who advocate repeal of the system America was founded on, as a solution to abuse of power by elected officials, are playing right into the hands of those abusive elected officials.

That is precisely why abusive elected officials want the people to know as little about the system as possible.  It seems the younger the citizen, the less they know about the system that makes America so great.  Many could learn a lot from these old veterans if they had a mind to ask.

Edited by Rattler

On 6/8/2020 at 12:44 PM, Elmo said:

It was far less perfect back then.  

I guess it depends on what you hold dear and put the most faith in. I certainly agree with you when i comes to race relations. I will also say the the family unit is no where near what it was back then for blacks and whites. The moral compasses of today don't even point at the same pole as they did back then. Some think that is good but some don't agree. It's all perspective. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I guess it depends on what you hold dear and put the most faith in. I certainly agree with you when i comes to race relations. I will also say the the family unit is no where near what it was back then for blacks and whites. The moral compasses of today don't even point at the same pole as they did back then. Some think that is good but some don't agree. It's all perspective. 

The main cause of that is due to women entering the workforce.  There was no longer a parent at home.  We traded moral compasses for money and production.  Think of America would look like today if half the workforce was gone.

5 minutes ago, Elmo said:

The main cause of that is due to women entering the workforce.  There was no longer a parent at home.  We traded moral compasses for money and production.  Think of America would look like today if half the workforce was gone.

What percentage of families, white black or Hispanic have two parent households or have both birth parents still together?

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

What percentage of families, white black or Hispanic have two parent households or have both birth parents still together?

Valid point.  How any of those single parents had two working parents and  grandparents during the 60 and 70's?  Low income families (which is more  prominent of immigrants) are more likely to require both parents to work.  Middle class hispanics in their native countries have some of the strongest family values.  Lack of family values is not race dependent.  Some social factors started the ball rolling that cause it to snowball into what it is today.

14 hours ago, Elmo said:

Lack of family values is not race dependent. 

But lack of a family unit is not evenly occurring in all races. That isn't a dig any any of the races but it is a fact. Having two parents workign and just having one parent present are tow totally separate issues.

In 2014-18, the share of families headed by single parents was 65% among African American families, 41% among Hispanic families, 24% among white families and 15% among Asian families. 

These numbers are national averages and are actually very much higher in urban areas. Regardless of the sample location the numbers are totally out of alignment with the population make up. 

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

But lack of a family unit is not evenly occurring in all races. That isn't a dig any any of the races but it is a fact. Having two parents workign and just having one parent present are tow totally separate issues.

In 2014-18, the share of families headed by single parents was 65% among African American families, 41% among Hispanic families, 24% among white families and 15% among Asian families. 

These numbers are national averages and are actually very much higher in urban areas. Regardless of the sample location the numbers are totally out of alignment with the population make up. 

I don't disagree with those numbers.  I'm just  speculating that years of the Jim Crow area might have resulted in more families having two working parents among blacks earlier on.  The lack of a guidance a home caused a lost of moral and family values.  Children growing up in those household then are more likely to divorce.

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

I don't disagree with those numbers.  I'm just  speculating that years of the Jim Crow area might have resulted in more families having two working parents among blacks earlier on.  The lack of a guidance a home caused a lost of moral and family values.  Children growing up in those household then are more likely to divorce.

I found this interesting. "Data from U.S. Census reports reveal that between 1880 and 1960, married households consisting of two-parent homes were the most widespread form of African-American family structures.  Although the most popular, married households decreased over this time period. Single-parent homes, on the other hand, remained relatively stable until 1960; when they rose dramatically.

So even through the Jim Crow era the numbers were relatively flat. The big spike in single parent families and out of wedlock births seem to occur after that 60's. Ironically that is the period when the civil rights movement and also the subsequent affirmative action and huge social program dependence. 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I found this interesting. "Data from U.S. Census reports reveal that between 1880 and 1960, married households consisting of two-parent homes were the most widespread form of African-American family structures.  Although the most popular, married households decreased over this time period. Single-parent homes, on the other hand, remained relatively stable until 1960; when they rose dramatically.

So even through the Jim Crow era the numbers were relatively flat. The big spike in single parent families and out of wedlock births seem to occur after that 60's. Ironically that is the period when the civil rights movement and also the subsequent affirmative action and huge social program dependence. 

Interesting.  You link takes you to the general US Census Wikipedia page and not where the actual quote came from but I take your word for it.  A person regardless of race or ethnicity is predisposed to crime or work ethic based on biology so it has to be social and/or environmental factors.  Bottom line, over policing or under policing hasn't solved the problem, "it's their problem not mine" attitude isn't going to make it go away, and telling them to "suck it up" won't solve it either.  Finding the root cause that branched out to all these issues will reveal the answer.

• Like 1