Big Change, hopefully for the better

Since  The Mermaid and I have been together, about 12 years, I have hunted deer mostly on her 107 acres, of which about 25 acres is hayfield...

She has had an old friend and neighbor taking the hay from the field..She has not charged him for it,  but  he was supposed to do other maintenance and upkeep projects on the property to pay for the hay he took...

Well the guy has promised a lot and done very little...His equipment  is broken down most of the time, and several years I have been late getting my food plots done because he had not taken the hay off yet....

Today another local farmer  asked to take the hay ..He promises to cut it twice a season  AND pay $20 an acre for it, plus avoid disturbing my food plots while he does it... He has a reputation for getting in, getting the hay off and getting out, in like one day....With the former guy I was putting up with hay bales all over the fields until nearly gun season...

We'll see, but if he does what he promises, it will be a HUGE improvement   for my deer hunting....I can't remember how many times in the last ten years that I  have had to delay or perhaps cancel my food plot plans because the former guy was broken down or dragging his feet..

I'm just tickled pink with the change, as long as  this new guy does what he  claims he will do....

• Like 21

We leased to a farmer like that for several years.  Finally go tired of it and found another farmer that keeps the fields in great shape.  

Do some research on rental/acre in your area.  $20 is way more than you have been getting, but it might be a lot less than the going rate.  We rented for $35 an acre for many years, but then another farmer offered $100 per acre.  I asked the current farmer if he would match the offer and he did it without hesitation.

Of course, if he is plowing up your plot and other work, then there is some discount expected. 

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto said:

We leased to a farmer like that for several years.  Finally go tired of it and found another farmer that keeps the fields in great shape.  

Do some research on rental/acre in your area.  $20 is way more than you have been getting, but it might be a lot less than the going rate.  We rented for $35 an acre for many years, but then another farmer offered $100 per acre.  I asked the current farmer if he would match the offer and he did it without hesitation.

Of course, if he is plowing up your plot and other work, then there is some discount expected. 

$100 an acre...??  I am envious ,Tony....You must be farming some of that muck or central NY flatland dirt..I couldn't imagine anyone paying that for this rock infested  clay  hill country... I doubt that even the best riverbottom land around here would go for that.....   Thanks for the advice anyway...I  admit I haven't done a lot of research, due to the fact that the land is in the mermaid's name and she was dealing with an old family friend,  but I have heard a few quotes of similar local land,  and  most were under $20/acre...Tough to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...

Atta boy..love to hear about good news. But....How “good” of a friend is that neighbor? Will this change in relationship create tension or issues elsewhere? Is he relying on the hay or the $$$ ??? I’d hate to see you need to deal with additional stress over a little extra scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome news Dan!!neighbor across the street has been doing my grandparents field for the last 4-5 years as he has horse boarding.she doesnt charge him but anytime she needs him he's there.mowing in the summer,his wife does and he'll clear her driveway in the winter with the tractor along with other small projects.

this year he's been working on running lines to drain off the other half of the field that stays too went to plant hay.leaving me a big ole plowed patch by the woods for a food plot either this season or next!win win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Atta boy..love to hear about good news. But....How “good” of a friend is that neighbor? Will this change in relationship create tension or issues elsewhere? Is he relying on the hay or the $$$ ??? I’d hate to see you need to deal with additional stress over a little extra scratch.

We talked to the former guy before we made the change...He was not upset at all, and told us that  his customer for the hay is getting out of the dairy business, so he no longer had a market for it...He also has some health problems and has his hands full just taking care of his own place....

• Like 1

We talked to the former guy before we made the change...He was not upset at all, and told us that  his customer for the hay is getting out of the dairy business, so he no longer had a market for it...He also has some health problems and has his hands full just taking care of his own place....

25f6ef2b25e53742b8ed155c553cb200.jpg

• Haha 1

I went up on the property this morning....The new guy had worked until 10:00 PM last night and had half the field  down and ready to run the haybine...In all the years I have been involved with the property, it was the first time that I had ever seen prime,  green hay lying on the ground ready to be baled..In the past it has always been brown , dried out and basically worthless before it was even cut...….BTW...He said he flushed a hen turkey and a bunch of poults and 4 fawns while he was cutting, and that was only about  10/12 acres...He's always on the alert for wildlife...I think I might like this guy...

• Like 4

Hehehehe...That IS funny, Larry, ...As if    I'LL  see any of the money  !!

It's still well worth it that the fields will be better cared for and I won't be waiting  to get the haying done until I can do  my food plot stuff...Also, it saves me time and  MY money I'd spend maintaining ( mowing ) my clover plots..