Swamp_bucks public adventures

Figured i would start this up to help me keep track of my progress and what I've come across.

So this year I will be deer hunting Stateland and only on a very slim chance I might hit a couple pieces of private.  So today I started my scouting and got cameras hung up.  I already have 2 spots picked out that I hunted last year anf will be my main gun spots.  I'm hoping to find 3-6 other decent stand sights for bow.  I used to do all my bow hunting on my lease so my main goal is to get those spots figured out.

• Like 4

Decided I needed a deer cart for next year.  So I put one together using tires off an old stroller the bottom half of a ladder stand. I'm not done yet still need to add some bolts to make it wider,bolts for the handles, paint it,get some ratchet straps for it.  I think the length will be ok only time will tell. Anything better than dragging one a mile.  

20200607_144551.jpg

20200607_144542.jpg

20200607_145505.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Scouting trip today yielded 2 new spots for bow.  One is where I've been at before.  I went to 4 pieces today one was packed full of beds.  Found close to 15.  However there was 0 rubs/scrapes showing they are there in the fall. I did almost have a doe run me over at this piece but not enough sign to peak my interest for hunting.  

Second stop was a total bust 1 decent trail but quickly realized not worth my time come fall.  

3rd spot I jumped 2 big bodied deer and found a bunch of rubs leading into thicket with willows and cattails.  Trails are down to mud.  Never bowhunted this spot but have gun hunted it and always seem to catch multiple deer in it.  So I picked 2 trees so that will be most likely my opening morning spot.

4th spot is a piece I've hunted many times both bow and gun but not in this area of it. I've jumped big bucks on this piece before and have a good relationship with a couple owners and they've said there are a lot of big ones.  So last year during muzzleloader I walked it and back tracked where they bed.  So today i went back and found some oaks and hung a camera on a heavy trail. 

Still want at least 1-2 more solid chunks for bow. There's 3 pieces I have in mind for this sometime in july.

• Like 1

Went out again to find a couple more spots and I found some really good sign.  Seems like they are very over looked spots and I've never seen anyone in these sections personally.   I found a lot of beds, and rubs that ran along the base of a hill that turned out to be a little orchard between the steep hill and swamp.  You can tell they are in yhis spot all year. Trails down to dirt rubs everywhere and fresh beds. Which i couldnt see tell from my phone. So we will be hunting there. We will also be able to have to people on each end of the swamp to catch them coming out or into private ag fields.  The other spot was a lost cause we went right instead of left so we ended up .75 miles down the ridge the wrong way.  By the time we got back to where I wanted to go I didn't see the sign I was hoping for.  I might try it once or twice but it may be a gun walking spot. Did find a deadbeat on a trail with his antlers cutoff.

Screenshot_20200626-164342.png

Screenshot_20200626-164209.png

20200626_165316.jpg

20200626_074626.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Did the last of my scouting today unless some friends want some help.  I put out 2 cameras in known travel areas and buck spots that have a lot of rubs by middle of September.  Going to let them soak until the season.  Ones in a place that I know doesn't get hunted it's really over looked even by me until I checked it out this year  I will most likely hunt it early if wind permits because it's loaded with acorns.  The other i probably won't hunt until the rut.

• Like 2

The spot I looked at for my friend had some pretty decent sign.  It's a very tiny chunk of stateland maybe 10acres off the main piece.  It looks like the deer are pinched between a main road and a cliff. Had old rubs in the little punch that leads to a swamp on private. 

Now for the best thing thats happens to me in the woods.  I ran to a spot i was looking at that looked good from a topo and aerial map.  So I went in scouting a point that leads to a swamp.  So as I was finishing I was going to cross a stream and head out.  As I got to the bank I heard a stick snap and could hear something walking. When I looked up all I could see was a leg move but noticed it was pretty large and dark.  It took two steps and out steps a very large bear huge head belly was sagging.(at least I think so). It continues walking none the wiser im on the same trail it's on.  It gets within 10yards still not knowing I'm there do I yelled at it.  Just stops takes 2 more steps and I yell again.  I finally got its attention  and it ran off to 25 yards and stood there for 2-3 mins. So I took a couple pictures.  He then stood up my guess was to look at me better so I decided to put the phone down and screamed and clapped my hands and it finally ran about 40 yards and walked away.  Sorry for the bad pictures my phone sucks.

First picture is when it was heading right at me. Second is when he was just watching me. 

Is he a big bear?

20200726_071035.jpg

20200726_071047.jpg

20200726_071048.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I finally have my time for deer season figured out I actually had a lot of time to schedule for once.  The one positive note about working 3rd when I get out at 6 and take a 3 hour nap it's like having a free day off without burning time.  

10/29-11/1. 11/4-11/9, 11/12- 11/15, 11/19-11/22,11/25-11/29 

I might still have a day or 2 left I have to double check I'll probably use them during late season.   I don't worry about taking time off at the beginning of the season because I have more time during the weekends to get out.  Most of these days will be all day hunts I'm hoping.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Last scouting trip for the year.  Went into a place we call the hole it's a 65acre chunk of stateland off the main piece.    It's very hard to hunt because of where they bed and how the wind swirls.  3 ridges dump into a crick bottom that has 4 streams meet.  In the center of it is an old orchard.  There's only 2 ways to get into it.   I went in to check on the apple trees and oaks.  Oaks are loaded and only s few trees have crap apple's on them.  I did jump a fawn and doe about 200yards from the truck.  Also found to skeletons both looked like last year fawns to big for this year.  Trail camera is up on a beaten down trail.  Hoping I can figure out a way in without spooking everything off the piece.

20200829_071947.jpg

20200829_090508.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 3

Yesterday on my way home from work i went by a spot i really want to hunt.  It's the spot I ran Into the bear and a lot of deer sign.  Well the state logged the hell out of it looked like a select cut but they took a lot out.  So i decided i had to go in and check for sign to see if it pushed the deer out.  To my surprise it had not.  I cut a couple massive buck track,tons of doe,fawn and smaller buck tracks.   I jumped a bigger body animal going in it only jumped once or twice never saw a tail could just tell when it landed it was heavier.  On my way out 50 yards from my truck I jumped a little 6 out of velvet.  He went about 80yards  and turned and watched me.  Looks like all it did was push the deer back into where I planned on hunting because all the trails were just beat down to dirt.  Forgot my phone so no pictures again but as long as I get the right wind I should be in that spot for my first sit.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna be keeping an eye on this. Sounds like you've done some good scouting and would love to hear you got a crack at that bear.  This morning feels like hunting.  That clear-cut might actually help out with some browse growth.  

If the bear comes out it will be a bonus but I'm after the buck that made that track.  It was not that little 6 because I went and checked his track and it wasn't as big.  Got lucky he was on one of the logging trails that are covered in mud.  All I need is a decent 2.5 to come through.  If a bear or older buck comes in i take that as a bonus.

• Like 1

I don't know if this will help anyone but this is my hang and hunt setup.  Tricks I've done to quiet everything down and lighten it up.  

The stand is a basic field and stream hang on.  I cut the pipes out if the seat and made it a mesh seat.  Then I took paracord and wrapped the edge for 2 reasons I can feel with my boots the edge and it helps stop stuff from bouncing off it while being backed in.  The orange paracord is to stop the stand  from bouncing.  My straps are off an old golfbag.  I wrap the tape on the carabiner to hook my bag to in the stand I also put tape on metal to help stop the ping.  Also placed the pull up rope against the top support so onse stand is hung i can drop the rope down hook up my bow and be good to go.  The final step is spraying all the tube with spray foam it almost completely takes any metal sound out if hit.  I also use a ratchet strap to help secure the stand.

The sticks are a cheap 3set off of sportsman guide I got got 40.  I cut 12 inches off each one re drilled holes for supports and added an aider to each one using left over strap.  I wrapped all the metal in tape to stop noise. I also filled the tube with spray foam like the stand.  Last step was taking tape and wrapping the buckles.  

Not sure of total weight but it has saved me a bit.  Very little noise now and all packs tight.  It's been taking me 10mins to get from ground to sitting in my stand. These are not my ideas I've watches and seen videos on YouTube and modified stuff for my equipment. Not completely finished i would like to add a bow holder.

20200912_110932.jpg

20200912_110955.jpg

20200912_111016.jpg

20200912_111040.jpg

20200912_111102.jpg

20200912_111120.jpg

20200912_111145.jpg

20200912_111204.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks

• 3 weeks later...

Well waits almost done.  As long as the forecast keeps showing a west wind i have my first sit picked out thursday night.  It's down in a creek bottom that has great bedding on private and the west wind sets up that bedding perfect.  As long as nobody walks down the main trail I should be good.  They have to come through the stateland to get to the meadows and into the orchard I'll be posted up along.  The trail coming out if that bedding was down to mud 2 weeks ago.  This spot is a get in early and hunt because after youth weekend it usually gets hammered. 

• Like 1

Hunt number 1 in the books.  My first choice had someone parked there so I went to spot number 2.  Oaks didn't seem to be dropping acorns yet on that ridge.  I didn't see anything but it was good to be out and get some quirks worked out of my mobile setup.  

20201001_160004.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1