Frustrated with bow hunters

308shooter

Study says that there is a 50% percent chance that deer which were not recovered by a poor bow shot are more likely to survive than that of a poor placed gun shot. 85% of deer die from poorly placed gun shots. Just make the right call when you draw your bow or pull the trigger. Comparing bow hunters vs gun hunters is ridiculous.

Would like to read those studies - got a link?

Study says that there is a 50% percent chance that deer which were not recovered by a poor bow shot are more likely to survive than that of a poor placed gun shot. 85% of deer die from poorly placed gun shots. Just make the right call when you draw your bow or pull the trigger. Comparing bow hunters vs gun hunters is ridiculous.

I'm wary of such statistics. I know that I've followed up on poorly gun shot deer (my own and of others) and was able to catch up with them and put them down for good. NO way I would have put them down for good if I was following them up with a bow in hand. So I think any statistic of greater recovery chances for the deer shot with a bow can be countered with better chances of a lethal follow-up shot with a gun.

• Like 1

I'm wary of such statistics. I know that I've followed up on poorly gun shot deer (my own and of others) and was able to catch up with them and put them down for good. NO way I would have put them down for good if I was following them up with a bow in hand. So I think any statistic of greater recovery chances for the deer shot with a bow can be countered with better chances of a lethal follow-up shot with a gun.

I totally agree with that. The article was written like 15 years ago and with all the modern advances with hunting implements it can be scruntized in many ways. Just posted the thought from the article.

John, don't you also own your own land and hunt on private property? So like Geno and even myself we have may more opportunities than the average hunters. When you own your own land you look at things differently than the one weekend hunter. I was just being realistic whether it's the way you think or not it's just the way it is. Not saying it's right, just it is what it is.

I do, I guess thats the case, I havent seen crap for deer this year either though :)

Geno, I think it is all about opportunity and from your posts you have had many. So you look at it differently than the hunter who gets one weekend a year to hunt deer. You know that you will get another opportunity to get a buck. Simply because you will be in the woods hunting more than one weekend a year .You may also have the privledge to hunt private property which also gives you a better chance to fill your tags not so for the hunters who have only one weekend and hunt state land.So you can wait for another chance, the better shot, the sure shot but the one weekend a year hunter must take what is presented to him there is no second chance. May not be the best shot but none the less he will take that shot. Can't wait till next year. That is just my opinion. (OPPORTUNITY)

Dave, no offence but how many opportunities you have to hunt should have no bearing on when you decide to let loose an arrow at a deer. That is exactly the attitude problem that Some of us on here, and 308 in his crude way, are pointing out as being a problem. Geno didn't let that deer go because he didn't have a shot. He let it walk because he didn't have a ethical kill shot. Hope and prayer bow hunting(gun hunting, rifle hunting, spear hunting, whatever) because you may not have another chance to hunt is rediculaous. Just cuz you buy a liscence doesn't mean you have the right to TRY to kill something. Sorrry but maybe some years you go home with just memories. At least you'll still have your quiver full of arrows instead of one stuck in some deers Hindend cuz you were worried about not getting another chance. Give me a break..

Dave, no offence but how many opportunities you have to hunt should have no bearing on when you decide to let loose an arrow at a deer. That is exactly the attitude problem that Some of us on here, and 308 in his crude way, are pointing out as being a problem. Geno didn't let that deer go because he didn't have a shot. He let it walk because he didn't have a ethical kill shot. Hope and prayer bow hunting(gun hunting, rifle hunting, spear hunting, whatever) because you may not have another chance to hunt is rediculaous. Just cuz you buy a liscence doesn't mean you have the right to TRY to kill something. Sorrry but maybe some years you go home with just memories. At least you'll still have your quiver full of arrows instead of one stuck in some deers Hindend cuz you were worried about not getting another chance. Give me a break..

Dave, I don't disagree with you. But I am just making a point that not everyone has the patience to wait for that perfect shot when they only get one shot at a deer for the year.

I think the statement you made about just having a license doesn't give you the right to kill something, than whats the license for? I think you missed the point. On what should be done and what is actually done. This isn't a perfect world, it is what it is. Now you can take your break!!!!!

Dave, I don't disagree with you. But I am just making a point that not everyone has the patience to wait for that perfect shot when they only get one shot at a deer for the year.

I think the statement you made about just having a license doesn't give you the right to kill something, than whats the license for? I think you missed the point. On what should be done and what is actually done. This isn't a perfect world, it is what it is. Now you can take your break!!!!!

Your right that i didn't quite word the "license giving you the right to TRY to kill something" phrase very well but i'm pretty sure you got what i was trying to say. Sometimes my brain works faster than my fingers.. It was however a bit hard to tell if you were offering up excuses for yourself or others that have less opportunities to hunt. I do know that you made the statement without condemning the act so i'm assuming you don't have a problem with it. You made a very valid and accurate point that is a definate factor in the avoidable wounding of deer like it was just the way it is for non-landowners. As i've said before, i think that we bow hunters should demand better of ourselves, and should not let the currently small but growing number of arrow flingers get away with these practices without calling them out.

Your right that i didn't quite word the "license giving you the right to TRY to kill something" phrase very well but i'm pretty sure you got what i was trying to say. Sometimes my brain works faster than my fingers.. It was however a bit hard to tell if you were offering up excuses for yourself or others that have less opportunities to hunt. I do know that you made the statement without condemning the act so i'm assuming you don't have a problem with it. You made a very valid and accurate point that is a definate factor in the avoidable wounding of deer like it was just the way it is for non-landowners. As i've said before, i think that we bow hunters should demand better of ourselves, and should not let the currently small but growing number of arrow flingers get away with these practices without calling them out.

I own my own land and have all the opportunities to hunt plus I am retired so I hunt when and as much as I want. As far as flinging arrows, that can be expensive so I make sure the shot is a very percentage shot or I don't shoot. I can wait or a better opportunity later if that's what it takes.

The problem with our own observations and making it the rule of the land is there is simply not enough data to actually obtain a probably statistic.

Everyone looking at there hunts over the years, it may be a lot but not enough. Obviously there are a lot of variables with gun vs bow bad shot good shot etc.

Same goes for lunar calanders etc. Alot of folks swear by them because by chance they have seen more deer on those specific days. When a proper scientific approach is taken with tons of data points it is clearly shown the lunar calanders do not mean more game seen.

Bottom line is we are all responsible for our shoots and decisions made in the woods. Mistakes are made, bad decisions are made, hopefully people learn and become better stewards of the land and animals.

308 may have had a point and valid point to a degree, but it is so obvious he was just trying to stir the pot. His comments got extremely low, some may have not seen the one especially low that got deleted, but it was inexcusable and down right nasty and personal towards someone.

Happy hunting. Remember, just because we see or experience things in the woods it doesnt make it the the obsolute. Good luck this AM. SHould be a good one!

well put Bud!

i have been fortunate enough to get out in the woods and put time in this year... i was simply stating that is how I am. i am not the type of guy to release an arrow IN HOPES of finding the deer. I get in the woods to make the best shot i can, dont get me wrong everyone goofs up but atleast i know i didnt take a marginal shot at the deer and prey i find him.

this year started out REALLY slow! seeing NO deer until last weekend, i could have easily did what some said and just take a shot because of lack of time in the woods or just not seeing deer but i talk myself out of those shots and wait for that deer to present itself with a better shot. anyone letting arrows fly because of lack of time in the woods or having a slow season is no excuse. Watching the deer walk is sometimes the name of the game...

Like you geno I see no sense in chasing a wounded deer around the woods if it's not necessary... I think with experience comes patience... I also feel that not having as much time as others to hunt is no excuse to start taking so-so shots in hopes that a deer runs into your arrow... but i also know that there will always be hunters that will push the envelope so as not to go without a deer... many only to wound a deer and not recover it and still winding up deerless. Killing a deer is not the same as harvesting a deer... you can kill a deer and never recover it... that is not harvesting. Too many hunters believe that killing and harvesting are always the same thing.

I wont hunt bow in the afternoon - chances too great that the anumal wont be recovered until the next day. I think the DEC should limit all day hunting to firearms or crossbow.

you realize that is without a doubt the dumbest thing i have ever heard?

• Like 1

This is my 3rd year bowhunting and I have still not taken a deer, I have drew back on a few but did not take the shot,,,I have hunted with a gun for over thirty years and have taken many deer...but when I take a shot with my shotgun, rifle and now with a bow...it is only one shot ,,,one bullet, one slug and hopefully this year one arrow...if I have any doubt I will not take the shot..I get angry at fellow bowhunters and gunhunters....someone will always take a shot when they should'nt, I have friends that should not even handle a gun or a bow or even be in the woods fearing they may hurt someone or themselves....Maybe their should be a law stating you can only have one bullet,one slug and or one arrow when hunting...so you have to make that shot count.

Are we getting tired of beating ourselves up yet? You know, no matter what you ever get involved with, there will always be a certain amount of people that can't seem to do it right ........ so what? Must we drone on and on about all the faults that some hunters have. What is this perverse pleasure we seem to get out of declaring how bad our activity is because there are some who make mistakes and errors in judgement. Frankly I would rather save all this crap for conversation with those who actually need it.