Frustrated with bow hunters

308shooter

Are we getting tired of beating ourselves up yet? You know, no matter what you ever get involved with, there will always be a certain amount of people that can't seem to do it right ........ so what? Must we drone on and on about all the faults that some hunters have. What is this perverse pleasure we seem to get out of declaring how bad our activity is because there are some who make mistakes and errors in judgement. Frankly I would rather save all this crap for conversation with those who actually need it.

Doc, that makes a lot of sense to me, who are they really preaching to anyway? And why do the respondents have to validate themselves on how ethical, smart and what a great hunter they are. Just give yourself a pat on the back for doing the right thing. They never take bad or unethical shots always on mark, pass up 6pt, 8pt 10 pt bucks , Just how many bucks can one pass up looking for something better. I believe no one intentionally takes a bad shot, but it just happens. For many reasons which we have gone over and over again. Lets just hunt and be happy for the experience, we replay all the good shots we have taken through our life time and I am sure the bad shots haunt you also. You don't forget the bad ones and remember just the good ones. Maybe those bad shots make you a better hunter. MHO

I have hunted deer for many years with bow and gun. I don't hunt out treestands because I feel it is more of a challenge to hunt on the ground. I have taken many deer with bow out of treestands and about twenty five years ago .I said to myself that this is to easy and have hunted on the ground ever since. I started hunting with a bow back in the sixty's and still bow hunt today. What I have to say now ,I know some of you will disagree with me. I feel that as a bow hunter if you do your homework it is easier to take a deer with a bow than a gun. First off the deer are more relaxed and not spooked and therefor someone bow hunting gets more opportunities if they have done there homework.. I also know some people that bowhunt and can shot the eye out of a fly at thirty yards if it is on paper, but put a live deer in front of then at ten yards and they would be lucky to hit the barn door. The same is true with some gun hunters. I try to see both sides of the story and I have to agree with 308 on some things and I think I know where he is coming from.There are other bow hunters out there who would agree with me if they would be honest with them selfs. I am not the best shot with a bow ,but I know my limits and will not take a shot over twenty yards and like I said ,I hunt on the ground.I have taken some nice bucks with the bow and have not missed getting one in years. As far as crossbows, I am all for them. When it comes to AR ,I am against it. I feel that is up to the hunter who is doing the shooting. The bowhunters are the ones getting the big advantage when it comes to AR. Come on bow hunters now be honest about it. You know and I know that is true. That is all I have to say. Good luck to all and be safe..

I have hunted deer for many years with bow and gun. I don't hunt out treestands because I feel it is more of a challenge to hunt on the ground. I have taken many deer with bow out of treestands and about twenty five years ago .I said to myself that this is to easy and have hunted on the ground ever since. I started hunting with a bow back in the sixty's and still bow hunt today. What I have to say now ,I know some of you will disagree with me. I feel that as a bow hunter if you do your homework it is easier to take a deer with a bow than a gun. First off the deer are more relaxed and not spooked and therefor someone bow hunting gets more opportunities if they have done there homework.. I also know some people that bowhunt and can shot the eye out of a fly at thirty yards if it is on paper, but put a live deer in front of then at ten yards and they would be lucky to hit the barn door. The same is true with some gun hunters. I try to see both sides of the story and I have to agree with 308 on some things and I think I know where he is coming from.There are other bow hunters out there who would agree with me if they would be honest with them selfs. I am not the best shot with a bow ,but I know my limits and will not take a shot over twenty yards and like I said ,I hunt on the ground.I have taken some nice bucks with the bow and have not missed getting one in years. As far as crossbows, I am all for them. When it comes to AR ,I am against it. I feel that is up to the hunter who is doing the shooting. The bowhunters are the ones getting the big advantage when it comes to AR. Come on bow hunters now be honest about it. You know and I know that is true. That is all I have to say. Good luck to all and be safe..

You bring up some good points. But remember some bow hunters are very sensitive.

You bring up some good points. But remember some bow hunters are very sensitive.

Dave I hear what you are saying about bowhunters being sensitive and I can understand why they feel this way. Now I have been hunting with a bow for years and when I tell someone that I bowhunt and they are not bowhunters ,they all tell me how hard hunting with a bow must be, Most people do not know what can be done with a bow and how deadly they can be In the hands of someone that knows how to use and shoot a bow. Now all the bowhunters hear this when talking to others who do not hunt with a bow. and they have come to believe this to make themselfs feel better and self important.

I already got into it with another person on another site concerning bow hunting. Me being a die hard bowhunter that hunts all the seasons with my longbow. Truth is... "stuff happens" arrow hits a twig, deer flinched at sound, whatever. It happens to the best of us, anyone who can say it hasn't, has not hunted long enough. With age and experience I have learned (and I teach it in hunter ed), "I have taken few shots that I have regretted, but I have never regretted not taking a shot".

Truth is.. and many state and federal agencies have documented this. Bow hunters have the least amount of crippling losses compared to all other groups of hunters.

I can point out some non bow hunting examples as well. but, I would rather leave it alone as - what happens in the woods, stays in the woods.

BTW.. if someone wants to talk about their miss, bad shot, lost track whatever... I hope they do. There are plenty of knowledgeable and experienced people here that can help them And that's a good thing right? .

Edited by SteveMcD

I have to believe that (just based on numbers of hunters) there are more wounded deer from gun hunters. The big thing with gun hunters is that often, if the deer does not drop on the shot, they don't even bother to check if they hit it. If it runs away, it is assumed that they missed. How many of you have emptied your quiver on a deer? I don't know how many times I have heard the three or four shot salvo. Enough said. I will get off my soapbox now.

I shot a doe with my 20 Gauge on Saturday night, and lost it. It was an easy shot, 55 yards. No excuses, I messed up and pulled the shot. I followed the blood as far as possible, then lost it and went to get help looking. After spending time that evening and returning in the morning, we found nothing. What little blood there was had been washed away by the rain we had. I searched my ass off, and felt horrible about losing the deer. I have lost deer with my bow in the past as well. I don't care if you are a bowhunter or a gunhunter, you will eventually lose deer. Not going to listen to some prick throwing a whole group of hunters under the bus. We have enough enemies outside of the sport.

• Like 1

I have to believe that (just based on numbers of hunters) there are more wounded deer from gun hunters. The big thing with gun hunters is that often, if the deer does not drop on the shot, they don't even bother to check if they hit it. If it runs away, it is assumed that they missed. How many of you have emptied your quiver on a deer? I don't know how many times I have heard the three or four shot salvo. Enough said. I will get off my soapbox now.

definately agree

I shot a doe with my 20 Gauge on Saturday night, and lost it. It was an easy shot, 55 yards. No excuses, I messed up and pulled the shot. I followed the blood as far as possible, then lost it and went to get help looking. After spending time that evening and returning in the morning, we found nothing. What little blood there was had been washed away by the rain we had. I searched my ass off, and felt horrible about losing the deer. I have lost deer with my bow in the past as well. I don't care if you are a bowhunter or a gunhunter, you will eventually lose deer. Not going to listen to some prick throwing a whole group of hunters under the bus. We have enough enemies outside of the sport.

You can't be so sensitive with the opinions of others if you don't agree. Lets just look at this logically when you take a shot with the bow it's at close range yes or no? That being said when you release the arrow you know if you hit that deer or not, because he is close to you . Now lets look at the gun hunters with the scope or no scope they take longer shots and" may" miss more often and also think they have missed just because the deer runs off. That is a problem that a shot is taken and some hunters have not followed up on the shot. That's how other hunters find dead deer in the woods. I think bow hunters follow up more than gun hunters do after the shot and the deer runs off. Just my humble opinion, and both lose deer once and a while even under ideal conditions. Hunt safe and hunt smart. Always follow up after every shot.