Televisions and Tech have never been better!

airedale

Back in the late sixties I purchased my first new Television set, a Motorola console model with a 21 inch screen that had closing doors on the front, in it's day it was top of the line. At that time the job I was working gave me a take home pay of $126.00 every two weeks so the TV's $550.00 price tag was huge, in fact I had to buy it on time as they said back in those days. Those old TVs had vaccum tubes that would blow from time to time necessitating a call to the TV repair man for a replacement tube, or you could go to the local store which had a tube tester and test the suspect tubes yourself and buy a replacement.

Fast forward to today and that same $550.00 will buy a Hi Def flat screen with a four to five foot screen with picture and overall quality that is light years better than the old Motorola in every single way.. My current TV is an LG sixty inch screen that I purchased around 10 years ago, I think I paid $1200 for it, picture is still great and have had no problems. The old Motorola could not make it through a year without some sort of repair.

Anyhow with this Covid horseshit going on with not a whole lot to do for entertainment I decided to try one of those TV-Movie LED projectors so the wife and I can have the family over the summer for some outdoor movies, I purchased a simple 12 foot screen which is pretty good size but this projector is capable of projecting a 300 inch image if one has a screen that big.

Best part the whole works is under $400.00, hopefully this gizmo works well, let the good times roll.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Oh man I have been wanting to do a projector and an outdoor screen forever now. I just think it would be so cool to have friends and theirs kids over to have a fire and pop on a movie. Or how cool of an experience would it be for the kids to be in the pool late evening having an awesome time and watching a movie!!!!! 

It's something that might happen once a year and that's what has stopped me from pulling the trigger on it.

• Like 1

My daughter just had her friends over the other night- we have an old projector and screen. Years ago we hosted the boys baseball team and family for a backyard bbq and movie. Parents around the fire pit...boys watching the original “Bad News Bears”
Still stands as one of my boys’ fondest baseball experiences...behind some complete game shut out and walk-off dingers of course !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have had a projector set up in my entertainment room for many years with a 100" screen. They are cool as heaven. Watch movies, tv, and use the ps3 with it when bored. Replaced my 1st bulb a few months ago. Still have a 63" tv in the room since the projector runs video out of my a/v receiver. I'm lazy like that. 

Oh man I have been wanting to do a projector and an outdoor screen forever now. I just think it would be so cool to have friends and theirs kids over to have a fire and pop on a movie. Or how cool of an experience would it be for the kids to be in the pool late evening having an awesome time and watching a movie!!!!! 
It's something that might happen once a year and that's what has stopped me from pulling the trigger on it.

I’d like to have the kids watch Jaws in the pool at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 4

I stayed at a hotel on the beach in Hilton Head and they had an awesome setup. Kids sat with feet in pool with headphones watching a projection screen movie. While parents sat next to them facing the opposite way watching live music.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2020 at 7:31 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’d like to have the kids watch Jaws in the pool at night

Update, we watched Jaws in the pool and it was a blast. I dont have a projector I just brought a TV out there. They dont weigh hardly anything anymore either, those wall brackets weve all lagged in to studs are such overkill

• Like 3