Hydro Dipped my shotgun stock

ApexerER

I purchased a Weatherby Element 20GA off gun broker a couple months ago. Nice shotgun but I didn't really like the gray synthetic stock. It would have been fine black but the gray made it look like a toy or something to me. Ordered a dip kit from mydipkit.com. Figured what the heck I'd give it a try. Took me 2 tries on the fore end and 3 on the stock but I think I got it right this time. Now I know why they say to practice on something first. Just have to clear it when it's dry.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

What a huge improvement! Looks so much better! Nice job!

Post up a before and after pic of the shotgun, all put together for us!

Like an idiot I didn't take a pick of the shotgun before I took it apart. I am sure I can find a stock photo off Weatherby's website. I'll post a pic when its done and assembled for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

would you post up the links to the film and pricing?

https://www.mydipkit.com/

This is where I ordered from. They have tons of choices. All of the kits are $69. Comes with the film, activator, primer, base coat and clear. The pics of my stock tan are after they were primed and base coated. 

If I decide to do it again, I will probably purchase the film and activator on Amazon. There is tons of film on Amazon for less than 20 Bucks. Just search Hydro dipping. Some of it from the same website I ordered from and also the activator. I don't think the primer, base coat and clear is any different than I can get at the local hardware store. 

If you decide you want to try it, I made a lot of mistakes I can maybe help you avoid. 

• Like 1

I did both of my mossbergs with the mossy oak gun skins. came out pretty good, definitely not as professional looking as hydro dipping but I like them. did them like 6 or 7 years ago and they've held up just fine. cheap too, $30 I think. pretty easy to do, just need a hair dryer or heat gun and a razor to cut excess.

20200611_124718.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

I did both of my mossbergs with the mossy oak gun skins. came out pretty good, definitely not as professional looking as hydro dipping but I like them. did them like 6 or 7 years ago and they've held up just fine. cheap too, $30 I think. pretty easy to do, just need a hair dryer or heat gun and a razor to cut excess.

20200611_124718.jpg

They look good. What is it some kind of heat shrink?

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Was there enough to do the receiver and barrel, or was it just the grey you were trying to get rid of?

I actually think it looks really cool with the pad, receiver and barrel black. 

I think it was 6 feet of film. I could have done the barrel and receiver but I never intended too.

• Like 1