Water holes

Been watching alot of whitetail habitat solutions and getting some great ideas on my food plots and general hunting. Hes always talking about building water holes. Anyone try these and your results? Thinking of trying it out this year

• Like 1

I wonder how often a deer drinks from a water source; pond, creek, river etc.   My buddy has a number of ponds and rarely do you see deer drinking from it.  

I know they do drink from them of course but they get moisture from many other sources. 

I've heard from somebody ( no clue who )that they put in the middle of the woods an old Kiddie Pool and dug up the space in the ground for it and after it rains it fills itself ..... sounded like an idea worth trying !

260afed1-0b7c-4763-b788-000764773a61_1.14eb5372b23071bb171ba1531c0d3ca9.jpeg

Edited by GreeneHunter

• 4 months later...

In more arid climates, like places I have hunted in New Mexico, Colorado, and other places out west, water holes are a big draw...

However, here in NY even relatively dry years, like this year, there are few places where a deer has to walk more than a few hundred yards to find a water source....Spring seeps, creeks, rivers, ponds, lakes etc. etc. are everywhere....

That's not saying that you can't  create a water source that the deer will use...Just don't expect it to be a major draw like a waterhole in New Mexico or Arizona, where the animals  might have to travel many miles to the nearest water source..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...