Corn

It may not mature in time for season , depends on. How many day corn and growing degree days.. 85 day corn is 85 days from emerging till mature but that is not dry. Silage for cattle.. to. Reach black tip may take 80 or more growing degree days. After kernels are full.  We need rain ,mine is up 4 to 6 inches and stopped , fortunately it's been  very dewy in am So they are getting some water..  never a fan of planting corn in june as I can have frost by end of sept. And I want dry dented corn for season 

• 2 weeks later...

Wont hurt the seed, IF it germs, then dries out, it can kill the plant. But I learned this year as the farmers field out behind my house was planted corn first time ever, Black much soil dries out fast compared to any brown colored soil.. The entire field of ft tall corn turned brown and died 2 weeks ago. Some quick heavy rains this week and the corn has since started growing new growth out of the center of the stalk. Seems Corn is a real survivor / fighter..   

Most other species wont grow back though after a germination followed by drought.. 

The corn plot that I planted on May 30 is up over a foot now and really starting to take off after the inch or more of rain we have got over the last few days.   The weeds are taking off also.   Hopefully, I can get the rows sprayed with gly and cultivate in between the rows on that plot by this weekend.   I have not been back to look at the smaller plot that I planted a weeks and a half ago.   I assume it will be up, so I will probably hit it with the gly this weekend but wait until it is up over a foot before I cultivate.  It is too easy to burry or wipe out the smaller plants when cultivating, but the gly won't hurt it, and that will let more of the starter fertilizer go to the corn and less to the weeds.         

I drove by one corn field on the farm today , looked like ten or twelve inches ,  but that field is very wet and holds water well . The soy beans on our land , was very dry ,they got a hard rain , but that just runs off, not sinking in . We need a good soaking rain . 8H Canandaigua.

My Clay Loam soils are doing just fine. The secret is to roll,  after planting to keep any moisture that is in the soil.  Plants will grow deeper roots, to reach that moisture, if a good loose seedbed is incorporated, then rolled. Green manure will also hold the moisture in soils, if plowed down and allowed to rot.  I have also disc tall grasses flat and planted seed direct. The grass seedbed will hold moisture  in the unworked soil allowing seed to germinate and grow plants. LET EM GROW give me that advise, some yeears ago; and it works.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:07 PM, gbj said:

We planted corn 2 weeks ago today and it hasn’t rained at all since. At what point is it In trouble or will it be fine until it does rain?

I planted at about the same time.  Since then we have got maybe .3" of rain.  The corn that came up looks good.  Too bad I only got about 30% germination.  I have broadcasted corn successfully in the past, but no such luck this year.  Not sure if I should try to plant again (since the seed was free) or not.  If it fails I will just till it again and add it to a couple strips of a fall blend when I plant in August.  

• Like 1

It looks like we got just under an inch of rain last night and this morning.   I had to go in to work for a few hours and it rained most of the time I was there.   My front corn plot (well drained ground) was dry enough to spray with gly in the early afternoon.  The rains over the last week have been good for it and it is now growing like mad but so are the weeds.  It is well over a foot tall now, and covering a lot of the weeds, so I went over the rows twice with the sprayer.  By late afternoon, the back plot was dry enough to spray (only up about 6"), so I went over the rows once with gly.     I will try and get the front plot cultivated tomorrow.  The back plot is still too short for that, but the gly should make a pretty good kill on the weeds.   

I planted a few rows of non-Roundup Ready sweetcorn near each field corn plot, so I guess I will need to hoe that after I finish cultivating.  That ought to be fun.   Maybe I can put a sign out by the road "hoers wanted".   

I had a number of setbacks on the spraying operation but managed to get it done in time to have supper with the wife.  The touble started with a flat front tire on the tractor.  Fortunately it is a slow leak and it held long enough to finish the job.   Next, the sprayer nozzles plugged up with rust.  Fortunately they are easy to remove and clean from the seat of the tractor.  I probably had to clean the nozzles a dozen times but they seemed to stay clear over the last plot.   I used 30 gallons of spray (two fillups of my 15 gallon saddle tank) and ran out on the last two rows.   Half way thru the first plot, the fuel filter plugged on the tractor and I had to by-pass it out in the field.   Finally, the wooden framed tractor seat rotted out and busted, making for an uncomfortable finish.   I had made it from an old hair-dryer chair of my grandmothers and it really did not hold up well in the old barn with the leaky roof. 

It was a bit windier than I like it for spraying and between that and all the nozzle cleaning that was required, I ended up getting plenty of gly on myself.  Hopefully, the long hot bath I just finished will take care of any issues with that.          

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The front field corn is up 5 to 6 ft today after some good rain this week.  The buckwheat between that and the sweetcorn was up about a ft.  I worked up some of that with my drag and I hope to get turnips planted there and in a similar spot out back next weekend.

The back corn was up about 3 ft which was almost too tall to cultivate but I hit it anyhow.  It looks like it sprung back up pretty good after the toolbar and front axle bent it over a bit.

On my drive back there, I kicked out a good looking 8 point in velvet.  Hopefully he sticks around.  As long as I can trap a bunch of coons over the next few months, he should have plenty of food.

20200718_152741.jpg

20200718_152650.jpg