Garter snakes

johnplav

34 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I only see 2 in the first pic and 3 in the second :dontknow:

#4 is in the upper left corner.

Cool pic's John! Pretty neat that your daughter has no fear of snakes. They don't bother me at all either.

But spiders do creep me out!

• Like 2

Must be a good year for them, I came across 6-7 of them while turkey hunting. 

Caught these two buggers watching me do some work on the cabin last year. 

buddies.jpeg

Edited by cas
  • Like 1

I hate snakes . Never had a problem picking them up as a kid but don't care to now . Picked one up a couple years ago and it must have been shedding . My hands stunk and the smell was terrible . Had a heck of a time getting rid of the smell .

A couple years ago , a snake had a hold of a large toad . I have no idea how the snake was going to feast on the toad .

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I hate snakes . Never had a problem picking them up as a kid but don't care to now . Picked one up a couple years ago and it must have been shedding . My hands stunk and the smell was terrible . Had a heck of a time getting rid of the smell .

A couple years ago , a snake had a hold of a large toad . I have no idea how the snake was going to feast on the toad .

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

That toad seems to be taking it in stride.

Talking about being unnerving, a few years back I was getting some fieldstone from a fallen down rock wall on the property for whatever garden project I was doing at the time. Hot summer day, and I'm picking up flat rocks in rattlesnake country. I don't see them much, only two in many, many years, but we do have them. So I'm very conscious of listening and looking as I pick rocks in the summer. As I'm stepping back to put a stack in the tractor bucket, I hear a rattle by my feet.

Red alert - adrenaline on overload! I try to jump out of the way, trip over the corner of the bucket, drop the stack of rocks right on the old family jewels, cut my thigh up pretty good, skinned my shin, bruised my elbow, and tore my jeans. The snake? It was just me brushing up against the dried leaves of a sapling I broke over on a rock picking trip the previous weekend. I LOL'd at myself for real for a few minutes. And then went back to the house for band aids and a beer. No witnesses!

• Like 4

I grew up hunting in SEVA. Snakes galore...cottonmouths and rattlers. And you cannot kill them on certain grounds.

One particular draw hunt on federal land borders the ocean and brackish waters. This island is situated about half of a mile to a mile offshore. The water is just deep enough you have to boat across. It is loaded with deer - the island is around 800 acres and has natural apple and persimmon trees. Salt marsh makes up alot of the edge. Hogs also make it there, too. Deer swim across the bay to get to it.

We hit the opening day draw for the island when I was around 19 or 20 years old. I set up on a great persimmon grove mid-island and my father went to a pinch point in the north. I ended up having another drawing hunter nearby so I headed up north to slow push deer to the pinch. Since it was a draw hunt we only got four hours to scout it about a month prior. I made a dumb mistake and pushed too far to the edge of the island and a few deer rounded the pinch without actually going through it. I was pissed, so I just marched up to my Dad to re-plan.

About 50 yards to him I'm cutting across waist high reed grass. The kind you can't see the ground on until you lay down your boot. I can still recall the visual in slow motion. My right boot started coming down and as the grass clears lay the biggest meanest cottonmouth I had ever seen. Physics could not be stopped in time and my boot landed square on his head. I mean, you couldn't hit the game winning dinger in the bottom of the 9th any better. I locked up. That snake was so big its tail was smacking my hip trying to wriggle away while its head lay under, at this point, all of my muscles forcing the boot to stay down.

My dad walks over, and what seemed like an eternity...led to a game plan of just lifting my boot slowly and staying still. After what seemed like another eternity, I worked up the courage to do that. Then the plan fell apart. I lifted my boot, the snake went north, I went south, and that thing climbed up my dad's leg and over his shoulder trying to get away from us. He was so pissed off at me I thought I was going to have to swim back. But, now he laughs at it since we didn't die, ha. 

That island is loaded with snakes to this day. I found out they stopped the hunts there last year. Times are a changing.

• Like 1

When I was a kid , I worked two summers for Kelly Brother's Nursuries in Dansville , NY . A couple of the guys there hunted rattlesnakes to make extra money . I think they did it around Tuskarora / Nunda . I was invited to go with them but passed it up .