Lets see your backyard ranges!

I have a backyard range that goes out to 100 yards with various reactive targets, I use it mostly for various rimfire firearms and handguns, also for sighting in and the testing of centerfire rifle handloads.

A few years ago I purchased a small shed and set it up along side my old bench so I can shoot in lousy weather especially all through the winter when things get pretty boring around these parts.

I love to burn ammo and for me there is not to many things that are more fun than an accurate rimfire firearm, a brick of 22s and making those reactive targets sing.

Al

2019-09-06_203904.png

2019-09-06_180445.png

2019-09-06_180140.png

• Like 4

Im looking to build a building similar to yours on my rifle range. I use an easy up tent now. I love rimfire myself, i shoot more deuce deuce than anything. Lately i have been shooting my .22 magnum  a lot lately. Forgot how much more of a pop that round has that the long rifle. 

Range is 400 yards to the rear tree line, target stands at 50, 100, 200, 300. Can shoot elevated from tower blind or picnic table below it. All targets have dirt backstops - most of the pics were from when we were laying it all out.

Range is a few hundred yards behind the house. Also have a 50 & 100 yard setup so we can shoot from the house deck and 3-D targets in the lawn, so technically that's the backyard range.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

IMG_0473.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 11

I plan to construct a range this year on my property.  One concern I have is the amount of lead I will be pumping into this.  I'll be building an earthen mound but that's going to be a secondary backstop.   I'm thinking of building some "U" shaped containment out of 4 x 4's that can be change out for primary backstop  and have a bullet trap made to capture most of the lead. 

I've work in/with/around the environmental field since Nixon.  My son in law is an environmental tech and has remediated several ranges. 

There isn't a commercial range with an earthen mound that isn't a hazardous waste site.  My land is rich with water and springs.  I hate to be the guy that screws it up

• Like 1

One of my favorite shooting range activities is hunting Flies, I will smear some sort of  attractant on my 25 and 50 yard targets to get Flies to land and takes shots at them with highly accurate rimfire rifles. I can knock them off pretty consistently at 25 yards, it is a bit tougher at 50. It has pretty much replaced chuck hunting for me, and even though they are just Flies I still get a bit of satisfaction when I drill one at 50 yards.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, airedale said:

One of my favorite shooting range activities is hunting Flies, I will smear some sort of  attractant on my 25 and 50 yard targets to get Flies to land and takes shots at them with highly accurate rimfire rifles. I can knock them off pretty consistently at 25 yards, it is a bit tougher at 50. It has pretty much replaced chuck hunting for me, and even though they are just Flies I still get a bit of satisfaction when I drill one at 50 yards.

Al

I have to try that! I use this in the house - more for spiders than flies. Better than just squashing bugs in hand to hand combat, lol.

image_2x_3ae3c77f-99de-4388-8303-b393da6a2e34_720x.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

What are you writing a novel? Just because you haven't been to my house yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

I checked my memoirs (and every towns' records) and don't see your closing date.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Sure here ya go . The actual backyard one can be tricky not hitting the neighbors pool , the one on our farm land is 90 yards long , and there’s a berm under those weeds, it’s only five feet high ,but worked well,for 20 years .

E3D9BD69-9859-4E3A-8F79-BF5257FFC360.png

0690575C-6D6A-43CC-B178-5ABEB29B24C9.png

A24BCC92-41E8-4DAB-8718-41E80B2502A4.png

• Like 2

I’ve been working on my pistol range for the last three days. The box is thirty yards away it’s 8x4x4 filled with wood chips. The box behind it is 50yrds. It’s 5x4x4 there’s a 100yrd box behind that I filled them with wood chips to catch the lead. I wish I could get a 200yarder but it’s a hill.
4e69053a159dc2a8ab729b3623fb5fa6.jpg
144eedcf7148db983ca8889a58f91872.jpg
On rainy days I can shoot from my living room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

5 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

Jed and Jethro used to shoot flies off the front gate at their place in Beverly Hills...Of course, they didn't consider it a challenge unless they shot them on the wing....

• Like 3

I will never be as good a shot as Jed or Jethro, hitting them on the wing is way out of my league;)

If they sit still for a couple of seconds this Winchester model 52 B bench gun will leave a hole that is bordered by fly legs. With that period Redfield 3200 20X scope she will group a tad better than the target which I shot using Redfield Olympic target sights.

Al

002.thumb.JPG.8fb13a2029b49df81f1b68fab638321f.jpg

2009-03-14_072158.jpg.44cd63a9830c63089295f61d239a430b.jpg

• Like 3

Nice ranges everyone. Glad to see some fellow backyard blasters here. Shooting aspirins is a fun challenge as well. Airedale, that winchester 52B is a beautiful target rifle. I have always wanted to try one of those or a remington 40X out, they are works of art. Obviously quite accurate in the proper hands!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Shooting aspirins is a fun challenge as well.

I have heard about using  Aspirins, Necco Wafers and Charcoal Briquettes for targets, never tried it myself but one of these days I hope to. As the old Jack O'Connor saying goes you will never be a good shot unless you do a lot of shooting. If you are busting Aspirins on a consistent basis come fall when you are in the woods after Squirrels a head shot will seem easy.

Al

Mine is not to fancy but serves the purpose. I don't do a lot of shooting but have a range with marked off yardages at 25, 50, 75 & 100 yards. 150 yards is possible but not measured and if need be I can get out to 325 yards but have only shot that distance a few times. Most of my shooting is for zeroing in or checking zero. Occasionally my daughter comes out to shoot and we have a permanent 4'x4' wooden target stand with a big dirt mound behind it that we can staple targets. or cardboard to. Change the board every couple of years and we are good to go.

I also made a pvc stand that we hang milk jugs filled with water from. Kind of redneck way but works for us. If we want to shoot at different distances I use a light weight shooting table that can easily be moved from one spot to another.

IMG_20200617_094014[1].jpg

IMG_20180729_115105.jpg

• Like 4