All Time Favorite Lure?

airedale

Being a basshole, my #1 lure for the last dozen or so years, is hands down, the Gary Yamomoto Senko. I've made more than a few bucks slinging it.

Followed by jigs, square billed crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and of course jerkbaits.

Will be testing some lures tomorrow up on the Great Sacandaga.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Hair jigs, tied by  yours truly....Colors may vary, but it is hard to go wrong with black or brown, unless you are fishing for salmonoids that are feeding  on shiny baitfish, in which case white or yellow may work better..

Here they are.........two different sizes (Dan'll chime in on specifics) and they both work better than anything I've ever used.  I'm not even close to being as proficient with these as the manufacturer as I've seen him in action on the mighty Niagara River.  Catching smallmouth bass left, right & center......amazing display!

This is the smaller of the two, strapped on like a marital aid ready for action....

6tELRZf.jpg

And a couple of each, used and abused.  The bigger hooks have been bent like crazy and I straighten them out, I really should put a hone on them for a little extra bite. :)

ntNzbgw.jpg

At some point I'll have to call the designer, manufacturer, field tester and taste tester for another batch. :)

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Here they are.........two different sizes (Dan'll chime in on specifics) and they both work better than anything I've ever used.  I'm not even close to being as proficient with these as the manufacturer as I've seen him in action on the mighty Niagara River.  Catching smallmouth bass left, right & center......amazing display!

This is the smaller of the two, strapped on like a marital aid ready for action....

6tELRZf.jpg

And a couple of each, used and abused.  The bigger hooks have been bent like crazy and I straighten them out, I really should put a hone on them for a little extra bite. :)

ntNzbgw.jpg

At some point I'll have to call the designer, manufacturer, field tester and taste tester for another batch. :)

I do paint eyes on them, more for asthetic reasons than function...They still catch fish just fine after the paint gets chipped off and the heads are plain lead colored...I call them " Stevie Wonder" jigs....Being a light tackle guy, I fish mostly 1 /16 and 1/8 oz. for bass, landlocks, browns and panfish..For heavier duty work like lakers and northerns, I fish 1/4 oz. to 1/2 oz  sometimes tipped with a 4" ripple rind... For walleyes, I generally fish 1/8 oz.to 1/4 oz. tipped with half a crawler...

• Like 1

I use jigs probably 3/4 of the time. Yellow and black for rivers, and pumpkin or a clear brown with orange for lakes.

This past winter ice fishing, and after the crappies got off the beds, I have used a eurotackle Z-Viber. Pleasantly impressed with how this vertical jigging crankbait works at catching crappies and big bluegills.

When I was a kid my family lived across the road from Fish Creek, the major tributary of Oneida Lake where a major spawning run was made by Walleyes in April. These days the creek is closed to all fishing between mid March to the first Saturday in May but years ago fishing was allowed during the spawning run and we could catch Walleyes in huge numbers and I mean like every cast a fish was on. Of course Game Wardens where in constant patrol in big numbers watching to make sure all catches were released. Anyhow the consensus lure of choice of the local yokels was the L&S Mirrolure an early what they call today crankbait, they called them "plugs" back then and if you were lucky enough to be able to afford one you would catch two Walleyes to every one of anyone fishing along side of you with something different tied to the end of their line.

2020-06-16_190222.png

Edited by airedale

My "go to" lure is the Bagely Big O in crawdad color.  I have caught just about everything that swims on it.  I have other colors, but rarely use them.

Cotton Cordell Big O Shallow Square-Lip Crankbait

For a long while I was stuck on Berkeley Power Bait Grub with twisty tail, the front of it was brown and the tail was chartreuse.   I don't think they make them anymore and I only have 1 or 2 bags left.  

For walleyes, I always did good on a "Walleye Assassin" in Glow with a bright green paddle tail.  Another one that I can't find anymore, Wal Mart always had them. 

BE-PBHPG_Natural Chartreuse.jpg

09153832250.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Is there any better way , than  to catch big trout on dry's ?

If there is, you probably know it, My Friend....You  are heads and shoulders above me as a fly fisherman, and That's not just because I am short...<<GRIN>>….

• Haha 1

Did the Penn Yan thing again yesterday....Fished about 3 hours and filleted 45 slabs....Should be good for a couple more weeks...The thing that surprises me is that there are so few people fishing for them...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nytracker said:

Did you ever try my secret streamer  pygmy ?

NO...I  don't think I have been trout fishing since that day I fished with you...

I know it will catch fish, though, due to that black/purple/chartreuse  dressing....

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

If there is, you probably know it, My Friend....You  are heads and shoulders above me as a fly fisherman, and That's not just because I am short...<<GRIN>>….

You should have  met  my mentor. The man is  a fishing machine .  He would go through an run like a gill net in a bathtub. No fish was safe . His fly tying was second to none .. 

Your no slouch either .. 

Pygmy casts a sexy loop...:wub:

Edited by Nytracker