Chipmunk hunting

I’ve been up at my house and can’t believe how many chipmunks are going under my house. I shot 11 and trapped 7 there doesn’t seem to be any reprieve from them. I had them stacked up out back and this morning a turkey vulture was gobbling them up. I love those little thing but this is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Same here....so far I have live trapped 30. I 've been taking them out back and turning them loose in the woods and seriously thought about spray painting them to see if they were coming back but it has finally dropped off to  zero since the 10th.

My neighbor says he has them all over the place on property also. Must be a good year for them.

• Like 1

I LOVE THIS TOPIC...I’m up to 11....playing around with “primitive” traps- figure 4(no success yet), a few on regular snares, a two on my favorite spring snare!!! I juts set up the Mojave Scissor trap - been triggered twice...no luck. Even got one on Pygmy’s water Bucket of death.

• Like 2

Can you eat them? I once did a dive for lobster off of Long Island. The property was owned by a Greek friend. When we came back with the lobster they had finch birds in olive oil and garlic on the fire. They were great. Very crunch but good. Sure those Chipmunks would be good?

What are you guys trapping them with/in? Also what are you using for bait? My boys are on a mission to take out or Chippy population. They chased them around with a leaf blower today....and made me set a mouse trap in the garden where they are burrowing next to the basement wall.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

A Chipmunk's cute looks have always been their saving grace with the general public, but the reality is they are nothing more than a cute Rat and when they come out of the woods and start getting into buildings and vehicles they cause the same kinds of damage and filth as Rats. They also breed similar to Rats so it does not take long to repopulate after killing them off, a lot like the beat the gopher games at carnivals, you knock them down and another will keep popping up.

On my place it has always been a non stop battle with them as they get into everything here on the farm, my arsenal of dogs, traps, guns and water buckets is in full swing right now, we have eliminated a bunch but there is no rest from them, just try to keep their numbers as low as possible.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

What are you guys trapping them with/in? Also what are you using for bait

The bucket system is great. My weapon of choice so far has been a small Havahart trap. I close one end so there is only one way in. In the back of the trap towards the closed end I have a old spray paint cap. In the  center part of the cap I place a couple of dabs of peanut butter and then sprinkle a few sunflower/bird seeds in the outer ring of the cap.

Seems to work. So far I am holding at an even 30. Some days I have caught 2-3 a day.

IMG_20200617_111733[1].jpg

• Like 2

Mother Fkkkkkkersssss

e80e96ce2b55611d5870595f1efb6d22.jpg&key=3104e12dfe1070f1dfd102c62adf6d00f76482e1baa2a751b42c2d5d04ead0c8

Ripped up my watermelon last night/this morning

Below pic was taken yesterday
2a3bfb0660a8bf23c572bf969ebfc2bd.jpg&key=777aa2ab3f9a839450c12656290b53a1615bc9ee3778c5b5a17ab9b1953c84d1

Sorry I got hungry and couldn't wait till you invited me over to eat some. My bad

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

On 6/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, mlammerhirt said:

What are you guys trapping them with/in? Also what are you using for bait? My boys are on a mission to take out or Chippy population. They chased them around with a leaf blower today....and made me set a mouse trap in the garden where they are burrowing next to the basement wall.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I've been using the walk the plank trap.I thin it's a little better then the roller trap.I caught 28 mice,7  voles and 3 packrats over the winter.That was in one bucket.I use peanut butter,But i'm going to try sunflower seeds next trip up.

I tried live trapping them but they kept getting out.A good old wooden rat trap works.I only use them when i'm up there.I caught a catbird in a rat trap once and felt like crap.There one of my favorite birds.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steve D said:

The bucket system is great. My weapon of choice so far has been a small Havahart trap. I close one end so there is only one way in. In the back of the trap towards the closed end I have a old spray paint cap. In the  center part of the cap I place a couple of dabs of peanut butter and then sprinkle a few sunflower/bird seeds in the outer ring of the cap.

Seems to work. So far I am holding at an even 30. Some days I have caught 2-3 a day.

IMG_20200617_111733[1].jpg

That trap looks pretty big.I'm going to pick up a new one.I was using #0 leg hold trap too.But only a few stepped on the pan.

Believe it or not I have one stuck in here, the bottom support bar of a hammock stand that was missing an end cap.
cb784450a3abb4789a5f61d7306f8f40.jpg
Little bastid crawled there after I caught him ripping up a watermelon plant so it is now trapped inside. #12 in the books.

I have hickory trees next to my house and an abundant amount of chipmunks we had a cat for the last 13 years that kept them in check but she passed away in March miss her and now the chipmunks seem to be like protesters growing in numbers up to no good and pains in the asses in general But different from the protesters we can shoot and trap chipmunks game on

• Like 1