Chipmunk hunting

30 minutes ago, Lomax said:

I have hickory trees next to my house and an abundant amount of chipmunks we had a cat for the last 13 years that kept them in check but she passed away in March miss her and now the chipmunks seem to be like protesters growing in numbers up to no good and pains in the asses in general But different from the protesters we can shoot and trap chipmunks game on

Ammo, more traps and a new cat!

• Like 1

thought about picking up some shotshells for the 9mm. they're all over the barn yard at the farm. not sure why there's so many this year. i'd leave them alone but their getting up into the vehicle and equipment and into bldgs in places.

I don't even see 12 chipmunks all year! Never see them by the house and almost never in the woods. I saw 3 while deer hunting last fall.

I’ve lived in my current area all my life and never saw chipmunks as a kid. In the last 5 years they started popping up and have divided like Gremlins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2020 at 8:33 PM, First-light said:

Can you eat them? I once did a dive for lobster off of Long Island. The property was owned by a Greek friend. When we came back with the lobster they had finch birds in olive oil and garlic on the fire. They were great. Very crunch but good. Sure those Chipmunks would be good?

There's a place in Holbrook that sells live finches for food.My buddy wanted to open the door and let them go. Didn't bother him that i was buying rabbits to eat.lol

I thought about giving the chippers a shot,but there eating the mouse poison. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

thought about picking up some shotshells for the 9mm. they're all over the barn yard at the farm. not sure why there's so many this year. i'd leave them alone but their getting up into the vehicle and equipment and into bldgs in places.

You might be surprised at how far away a handgun with shotshells will kill a chipmunk..I have been killing them with my 6"  BBL S&W K22 at a good thirty feet...Have not tried the .38/357 yet..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

You are all a bunch of brutes!!!!
I love hearing the chipmunks sing at Christmas time!

Should have come over...one was singing like crazy as he flopped around the snare pole!!!!
Want to see one of my eggplants and my watermelon
10c27ffbf847109f88bf1597599de8cd.jpg

82f65a2534c1df362e282dd3bc0a2e87.jpg

Tearing me up!!!!

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I'm going to pick one up hopefully i can get the packrats in it and release them

A little tip. When I was catching two or three a day for a few days in a row I finally started emptying the trap into a 5 gallon bucket. At the end of the day I would just make one trip to the woods instead of 3 trips a day.

I still think I should have spray painted them to see if they were coming back:dontknow:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

You might be surprised at how far away a handgun with shotshells will kill a chipmunk..I have been killing them with my 6"  BBL S&W K22 at a good thirty feet...Have not tried the .38/357 yet..
Practically running over my feet last time at the farm. Never sit still versus in the woods. Dont think I could hit one with anything but a shotshell.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

I still think I should have spray painted them to see if they were coming back:dontknow:

I live trapped one once and spray painted his tail orange ( grabbed it from work ..LOL) and dropped him off across the road in the woods about 500 feet in ... sure enough I caught the same little darling 2 days later ! Took him for a long ride after that !

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Should have come over...one was singing like crazy as he flopped around the snare pole!!!!
Want to see one of my eggplants and my watermelon
10c27ffbf847109f88bf1597599de8cd.jpg

82f65a2534c1df362e282dd3bc0a2e87.jpg

Tearing me up!!!!

Yeah....I'd have a problem with that too! Irradication justification!

Edited by grampy

41 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I live trapped one once and spray painted his tail orange ( grabbed it from work ..LOL) and dropped him off across the road in the woods about 500 feet in ... sure enough I caught the same little darling 2 days later ! Took him for a long ride after that !

Hehehe..An old gentleman ( even older than me)  who was my neighbor  kept live traps around his house for chipmunks ...

I once met him on his 4 wheeler with a chipmunk in his trap..He smiled and told me he was taking  MR. CHIPPY  over to his pond for swimming lessons......

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

A little tip. When I was catching two or three a day for a few days in a row I finally started emptying the trap into a 5 gallon bucket. At the end of the day I would just make one trip to the woods instead of 3 trips a day.

Start now. Spray paint their tails or something. 

10 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I live trapped one once and spray painted his tail orange ( grabbed it from work ..LOL) and dropped him off across the road in the woods about 500 feet in

I have been taking them approx. 350 yard from the house and turning them loose in a hedgerow with nothing around but woods and field.. I didn't really want to make a special trip to get paint.

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Start now. Spray paint their tails or something. 

Ever try to paint one??  They don't stay still for very long and I believe they could actually dodge the spray.

This morning I check the trap and sure enough # 32 is there.  As I crossed the yard I see another one scamper across the grass. WTF :O. I think the turning loose process is about to come to and end and we will see if they can indeed swim.

IMG_20200619_084602[1].jpg

• Like 3

I've been shooting chipmunks for  3 years now. Never ending, but fun. I also use traps with peanut butter. BB gun out the bathroom window to. I also have an abundance of squirrels. Girlfriend set up long pole with soda bottles on it. They jump on it and fall 12ft down. I also have Bats in the garage. I had some last year and this year to. Thought I closed up seems. I have a Bat slide in the window of the garage. Mice in the attic is never ending. It's fun to hunt year round. Good practice.

I've been shooting chipmunks for  3 years now. Never ending, but fun. I also use traps with peanut butter. BB gun out the bathroom window to. I also have an abundance of squirrels. Girlfriend set up long pole with soda bottles on it. They jump on it and fall 12ft down. I also have Bats in the garage. I had some last year and this year to. Thought I closed up seems. I have a Bat slide in the window of the garage. Mice in the attic is never ending. It's fun to hunt year round. Good practice.

The bats clearly see your BatSignal and figure it’s all good!
Nice seeing you around these parts again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martin said:

Maybe you should start prepping for a Game Dinner ?   LOL

• Like 1