Getting the old boat ready

MPHunter

Got the old family fishing boat out of storage. '88 14 foot Grumman deep V with 15hp Yamaha. Getting some fresh gas tomorrow and hopefully she fires up. Got a new deep cycle battery for the trolling motor (not on yet). This boat has spent a ton of hours in the ADKs. Paradox, Brant, Schroon, Sacandaga lake (not resovoir), Fish Creek Ponds, Upper Saranac and a bunch of others. Hasn't been on the water in 5 years or so. Gonna take it up to Lincoln Pond in a couple weeks. 6abe794632b07940b0f890509c8c5a94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 14

I have a 14' Lowe aluminum boat with a 25 hp Mariner outboard. I just started mine up yesterday in preparation for bass season. I fish the Finger Lakes predominately Owasco Lake, Skaneateles Lake, and Cayuga Lake. I have found this size boat to be ideal for fishing. I have owned larger boats is the past and sold them in favor of a 14' aluminum boat. They last a lifetime if you take care of them. I have a couple of tips for you as your boat has been in storage for 5 years. Install a new spark plug or plugs and spray some starting fluid into the cylinders before trying to start it up. This should make starting it up much easier. Good luck this season and stay safe on the water.        valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 2

I have been biding my time the last couple weeks, waiting for bass season to open up.  My boat is only a year newer (1989).  I re-powered it in 1999 with the current 70 hp Johnson, and I downgraded the "kicker" this year from a 1989 15 hp Johnson to a 1956 Evinrude 5.5.    The Min-kota trolling motor up front is late 80's vintage.  I am going to let the crew make a "game-day" decision (somewhat weather dependent) on if we hit lake Erie, or the upper Niagara river for the bass opener on Saturday.   I am excited about trying out the new Garmin front fish-finder/GPS, and a new spinning rod I just picked up.    

The big motor and the trolling motor worked good a couple a few weeks ago on a pre-season "shakedown" cruise.   I probably will not fire up the old Evinrude 5.5 until Fourth of July weekend (on a 14 ft Meyers rowboat) up at my in-laws place in the Adirondacks (that lake has a 10 hp max limit).   We are down to our last pack of frozen bass in the freezer from last year so it is almost time to "get to work".  

1932504472_truckandboatinbarn.jpeg.eefcbbe71dd4f4b6ae4271e41c0313fd.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

I have a 14' Lowe aluminum boat with a 25 hp Mariner outboard. I just started mine up yesterday in preparation for bass season. I fish the Finger Lakes predominately Owasco Lake, Skaneateles Lake, and Cayuga Lake. I have found this size boat to be ideal for fishing. I have owned larger boats is the past and sold them in favor of a 14' aluminum boat. They last a lifetime if you take care of them. I have a couple of tips for you as your boat has been in storage for 5 years. Install a new spark plug or plugs and spray some starting fluid into the cylinders before trying to start it up. This should make starting it up much easier. Good luck this season and stay safe on the water.        valoroutdoors.com 

As a teenager when we got the boat, I always bugged my dad to upgrade to 25hp but he never went for it...lol. I agree, for fishing most ADK lakes, this is the perfect size boat. Can handle a moderate chop but can get in the shallows to fish the pads also. Thank you for the tip on the plugs for start up. Will definitely do. 

1 hour ago, MPHunter said:

Got the old family fishing boat out of storage. '88 14 foot Grumman deep V with 15hp Yamaha. Getting some fresh gas tomorrow and hopefully she fires up. Got a new deep cycle battery for the trolling motor (not on yet). This boat has spent a ton of hours in the ADKs. Paradox, Brant, Schroon, Sacandaga lake (not resovoir), Fish Creek Ponds, Upper Saranac and a bunch of others. Hasn't been on the water in 5 years or so. Gonna take it up to Lincoln Pond in a couple weeks. 6abe794632b07940b0f890509c8c5a94.jpg

That looks like a pretty stout 14 footer! 

I had the exact same boat with a 15 Evinrude on it for quite a few years. The wife made me sell it for a 17 foot pontoon....it is a great fishing platform and comfortable for more people, but slower than molasses and I cant launch it or load it by myself with anysort of a breeze....

I really want a 16-17 foot center console deep v with a 4 stroke 25 horse or so.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That looks like a pretty stout 14 footer! 

Deep V and 20" deep transom. She has held up well over 30 plus years. Other than cosmetics, boat is like new. The Yamaha has been awesome also.  

• Like 1

MY dad passed in 2016, I acquired 3 of his 5 boats.. ended up selling 2 of them as they were both geared for trout fishing/trolling. Young kids leaves me no time for lake fishing anymore.. the 3rd boat is just a clean 86 Bayliner Capri with 2.3 Volvo Penta 275 outdrive.. i last put in the water in 2015 and its set covered and tarped ever since.. wife wanted to hit the water asap, so after a few hours on disassembling and cleaning a ton of parts.. she fired right up and runs smooth still. Boat only has 109 hours on it. Only issue was it wouldn't pump water, going to try a tub of water instead of muffs as i hear these outdrives are quite fussy.. hopefully good to go and on water asap...

Oh yea.. the dmv is garbage right now.. they should have never shut down to begin with.. quite essential in my opinion! Booking appts for late July right now. 

1 minute ago, LET EM GROW said:

MY dad passed in 2016, I acquired 3 of his 5 boats.. ended up selling 2 of them as they were both geared for trout fishing/trolling. Young kids leaves me no time for lake fishing anymore.. the 3rd boat is just a clean 86 Bayliner Capri with 2.3 Volvo Penta 275 outdrive.. i last put in the water in 2015 and its set covered and tarped ever since.. wife wanted to hit the water asap, so after a few hours on disassembling and cleaning a ton of parts.. she fired right up and runs smooth still. Boat only has 109 hours on it. Only issue was it wouldn't pump water, going to try a tub of water instead of muffs as i hear these outdrives are quite fussy.. hopefully good to go and on water asap...

Oh yea.. the dmv is garbage right now.. they should have never shut down to begin with.. quite essential in my opinion! Booking appts for late July right now. 

After sitting for that long, I would replace the thermostat and possibly the water pump. It’s a bit different in the salt. My outboard gets new stats (one per head) and new pump impeller every year and the impeller housing gets done every other year.. 

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Going online today to try to get it registered. Not sure what they will do about the sticker...Hopefully I will get a temporary that I can print.

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

After sitting for that long, I would replace the thermostat and possibly the water pump. It’s a bit different in the salt. My outboard gets new stats (one per head) and new pump impeller every year and the impeller housing gets done every other year.. 

Yea i plan too, it seemed to be working properly. The impeller looks like brand new, pulled and inspected it, works as it should. Basically stripped the motor down and reassembled it to inspect most everything. This boat has only been in freshwater, but has the saltwater system in it. 

6 minutes ago, MPHunter said:

Going online today to try to get it registered. Not sure what they will do about the sticker...Hopefully I will get a temporary that I can print.

If you already had it registered before, you should be able to, they'll send you a paper copy you can print from email to keep on you until the new stuff comes. My boat is still in my dads name, have yet to put it in my name. The plan was to sell it and buy an atv of some sort.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

If you already had it registered before, you should be able to, they'll send you a paper copy you can print from email to keep on you until the new stuff comes. My boat is still in my dads name, have yet to put it in my name. The plan was to sell it and buy an atv of some sort.. 

Just renewed registration online. Took less than 5 minutes. They give you a 10 day temporary to print out. What are the chances I will receive in mail within 10 days? lol

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

It depends on how long it has been “off the road”. I had the same issue with my boat and trailer. The boat wasn’t registered in a year so I was able to print a temp reg until the stickers arrived by mail. The trailer wasn’t registered for 2 years so the website wouldn’t let me renew, said I had to visit a DMV location. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

It depends on how long it has been “off the road”. I had the same issue with my boat and trailer. The boat wasn’t registered in a year so I was able to print a temp reg until the stickers arrived by mail. The trailer wasn’t registered for 2 years so the website wouldn’t let me renew, said I had to visit a DMV location. 

Yup. More than a year not registered and you have to go to DMV office. Luckily mine only expired a month ago and trailer registration is still good.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MPHunter said:

Hey now! Ive got the same boat in 16', same year

• Like 1

I was going about cleaning our Pontoon Boat but unfortunately I'm cleaning it up to prep it for sale . We've decided ( Da Wife and I ) that we're not going to use it anymore so we can catch up on bills and hopefully I can retire this year .  May have to invest in a couple Tire Tubes for my Wife and I ... not the ones on the Trailer !  LOL

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Edited by GreeneHunter

As you can see from the pic I posted above, I have a Furuno radar. I was hoping to take her out over night this weekend to cash in on the Striper bite in the inlet, conditions are gonna be prefect....I go to test the radar, i am getting a no heading pulse and no bearing pulse error. After some time on the phone with tech support, we came to the conclusion that it is either a faulty cable ($200 + tax & shipping) or defective IC board ($600 + tax & shipping).  I’m gonna try to replace the cable first and keep my fingers crossed, after already going WAY over budget for this year.. 

BOAT

Bust 

Out

Another 

Thousand

:cry:

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I was going about cleaning our Pontoon Boat but unfortunately I'm cleaning it up to prep it for sale . We've decided ( Da Wife and I ) that we're not going to use it anymore so we can catch up on bills and hopefully I can retire this year .  May have to invest in a couple Tire Tubes for my Wife and I ... not the ones on the Trailer !  LOL

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Good luck with the sale, but think how much more you would get to use her in retirement! 

They say the 2 happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Good luck with the sale. Looks like a nice cruiser.

7 hours ago, MPHunter said:

Yup. More than a year not registered and you have to go to DMV office. Luckily mine only expired a month ago and trailer registration is still good.

That means that it looks like Hemlock lake will need to wait another year for me to get this "never registered" 1979 12 footer on it.   At least I can hang on the the $ 8.00 I will owe NY state in sales tax until then.   

1280544935_12ftgamefisher.jpeg.4fa3da325cafc8395ee1e884cb767391.jpeg

4 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

As you can see from the pic I posted above, I have a Furuno radar. I was hoping to take her out over night this weekend to cash in on the Striper bite in the inlet, conditions are gonna be prefect....I go to test the radar, i am getting a no heading pulse and no bearing pulse error. After some time on the phone with tech support, we came to the conclusion that it is either a faulty cable ($200 + tax & shipping) or defective IC board ($600 + tax & shipping).  I’m gonna try to replace the cable first and keep my fingers crossed, after already going WAY over budget for this year.. 

BOAT

Bust 

Out

Another 

Thousand

:cry:

Cable is on the way. Fingers crossed.